[SOLVED] Monitors turning off/on, then pc restarts.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leonhart

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Hello.

I've done some digging around but I wanted to ask this directly.

My pc was getting old (10 years I think) and so at the end of 2019 I bought:
B450 MSI motherboard
Ryzen 3700x 3.6GHz
16GB Corsair ram
Noctua NH D15 CPU cooler

No problems for a year. The GPU fan was whirring up and down but that was all so I got myself a MSI 3600 Ti GPU.

This leaves my PSU (1000W Zalman), 2x 600Gb HDD, a creative soundcard, and a chassis which developed a faulty power on button (seemed to be the power button connector so switched it to the reset button). Despite the list, I believe only the PSU is relevant to my situation though the chassis wiring just might be an issue so thought I'd mention it. I also have 2 different monitors but I don't see how that could be a reason (like being at 120 Mhz and the other 60 Mhz, different resolution cap etc). If so I can provide that information.

So the actual problem. Ever since I got my new GPU my PC has rarely and randomly started giving me black screens for a brief moment and comes back on again (sometimes videos/sound gets interrupted or settings changed back like output, not 100% sure now). This can then happen a 2nd or 3rd time and then the PC restarts. I get no error message or anything to suggest something was wrong. My home's power supply is reliable so I know the issue is connected to my PC.

I've dug around the internet and what I learned was inconclusive.
  • Driver issue. I think I made every effort to uninstall the old GPU driver and install the new one. I've used the Nvidia experience app to install new drivers.
  • PSU issue. It's old and changing from 750 to 3600 Ti might be the reason though a power consumption calculator put me at no more than 500 W so I can't see capacity being an issue. I don't know what else to look for if the PSU is failing me though.
  • HDD issue. My wife considered this and they are old too but I've had no other issues. I had to basically do a clean install last year due to a new motherboard.
I guess my biggest concern is what this is doing to my computer, is it causing damage? How likely? And how badly? From what I understand it's not the loss of power that's the problem it's the surge afterwards but I'm not sure if I'm getting a surge (and I'm mixing this up with an actual power outage like a storm knocking out the power). Everything new is under warranty but I'm not sure how worried I should be that I'm damaging my PC. I don't believe I have a surge protector so perhaps I should consider that.

Today the issue happened 2 or 3 times today yet I've gone maybe days without any issue which is what has triggered me to try and find out what's going on. I've noticed my motherboard RGB (which reflects temperature) has been going up and down. CPU temperatures are 40-60 degrees Celsius which seems on the high side for what I'd consider idle load (websites and an emulator, that's about it). This makes me wonder if now my PC has decided that the CPU is getting too hot after a year but it's still within limits, I'm not getting any warnings that I can tell. Once I saw the light go red which says it was hitting 70 degrees celsius but that only happened once. I can't recall the temperatures before my new GPU but I think my lights have never reflected a 50+ degree celsius PC.

Should I reapply the thermal paste? Even if it's not the problem does it sound like it needs reapplying?

I don't know what other information I can provide. I've gone ahead and bought 2 WD 1TB HDD and a Corsair 850W PSU but those will take a few days to arrive.

Thank you in advance for any help. I've tried my best to try and come up with a solution myself but I'd feel more reassured if I presented my problem directly.

P.S. I used CPU-Z to test my CPU.

Bench test pushed my temperature to mid 67-68's (no real difference in fan noise).
Stress test pushed my temperature to 67-69. My fan is making a noticeable but not deafening noise (before it was dead quiet).

Last edited:
Solution
Did you test with the "studio driver" as well? From what i know should it be abit more stable (what they say) and has no performance impact (know this, use it myself).

Leonhart

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Well, it's coming up on 1 week since I put the 3600 Ti back in my new pc and did a deep clean of the drivers, no issue so I'm hoping/praying that a driver conflict was the issue.

I have some other issues where windows tells me I don't have an app to show something but this doesn't appear to stop me doing anything and I fixed the images app by downloading the default windows app and at some point I'll do a clean reinstall.

If anyone happens to have a similar problem to me, I recommend doing a deep clean of the drivers using DDU. It seems to be highly recommended and it might be the only reason I have a conflict is I was going from a really old 750 to a brand new 3600. Thank you everyone for your help on the matter.

Reactions: Vic 40

Leonhart

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I just had the PC monitors turn off then on again but no restart. I went into the Event Viewer and found these 2 errors.

Application error.
Faulting application name: HD-Player.exe, version: 4.150.11.1001, time stamp: 0x5df2142e
Faulting module name: nvoglv64.dll, version: 27.21.14.6109, time stamp: 0x5fed96ca
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000117fa49
Faulting process ID: 0x351c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6f2333dcb4274
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\BlueStacks\HD-Player.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmdi.inf_amd64_01d71cc0a9a2c385\nvoglv64.dll
Report ID: 8f290102-224a-486a-94c5-122ae2d3001c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

And NVIDIA OpenGL Driver
The description for Event ID 1 from source NVIDIA OpenGL Driver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Unable to recover from a kernel exception. The application must close.

Error code: 3 (subcode 2)
(pid=13596 tid=9812 hd-player.exe 64bit)

Visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for more information.

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Yesterday I decided after 1 week of no issues to update the driver so tried to uninstall by Device manager and got the no compatible version of windows so used DDU again to clean the pc of the drivers and installed the latest driver. I shouldn't have an issue but I thought I'd mention this for anyone else. It might be Bluestacks just tripped something up and it's an unrelated problem.

Leonhart

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I had the issue happen three times now with this new driver and was just about to report it's the nvlddmkm error. I've not changed my clock settings and the PSU is new. The old driver I had before seemed to work okay so I might try rolling back.