[SOLVED] Monitors turning off whilst gaming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RotX

Prominent
Oct 15, 2020
Hi, So recently I started having this issue so my 2x 1920x1080 monitors would turn off while gaming. Like monitors would turn off but PC would still be running, lights fans, etc. I have a temporary fix that I found so when monitors turn off, I need to turn off the PC and wait sometime before turning it on. If I turn it on sooner it would turn on but monitors wouldn't turn on. I suspected temps but I was monitoring them a little bit and they seemed okay.

I suspect power supply but I don't know for sure.

My PC specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, 3401 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: INNO3D GEFORCE RTX 3090 ICHILL X4
Power supply: Corsair RM 850x
Motherboard: ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
RAM: 24GB 3000MHz
Main Monitor: 1920 x 1080 x 240 hertz
2nd Monitor: 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Additional notes: I started noticing this in-game Lost Ark but I have 40+ hours in that game and I just started noticing it recently so I suppose it's not due to the game similar to the New World.

Solution
look in your eventlog and see if you see an event indicating that windows is resetting your PCI bus. It will do this if your GPU stops responding. windows tries this several times then bugchecks if it detects a failure. if it thinks it worked then you can be left with a blank screen in some cases.

Generally this would be a overheating problem, you would crank up the fans in the GPU, remove any overclock to the GPU and monitor temps.
you might also remove drivers drivers for your video card that you are not actually using.
ie if you do not get sound from the video card, disable the video card sound driver. if you do not use the USB from the video card, disable the card driver in windows device manager.
this can help in the cases...
look in your eventlog and see if you see an event indicating that windows is resetting your PCI bus. It will do this if your GPU stops responding. windows tries this several times then bugchecks if it detects a failure. if it thinks it worked then you can be left with a blank screen in some cases.

Generally this would be a overheating problem, you would crank up the fans in the GPU, remove any overclock to the GPU and monitor temps.
you might also remove drivers drivers for your video card that you are not actually using.
ie if you do not get sound from the video card, disable the video card sound driver. if you do not use the USB from the video card, disable the card driver in windows device manager.
this can help in the cases where the driver takes too long to respond.

you can also underclock your card to reduce heat and power consumption.
-----------
there can also be bugs in the sleep functions in the hardware/drivers/bios. generally, you can unplug the video cable and plug it back in to see if this is the case. the graphics would come back if this was the case. you could also disable windows sleep functions but you could still have sleep functions in the monitor firmware. (not likely that both monitors would blank at the same time. more likely the video card driver)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.