More Power?

G

here's my final list... do i need more power? and which version of win2k should i get? datacenter server or plain advanced server..... dont ask why just answer i need one or the other. aslo would mandrake be a good learning Linux? im probably gonna put it on my old pc:

>Processor: amd thunderbird 1.1 gig processor
>Motherboard: asus a7v motherboard
>Memory: 256 pc133 sdram 2 128 sticks
>DVD/Cdrom Drive and decoder: Pioneer 16x/40x
>CD rewriter: plextor 12x10x32 cdrw drive
>Floppy Drive
>Hardrive: 60gig 7200 RPM Maxtor
>Soundcard: creative labs sblive! Platinum
>Video Card: 64mb Guillmont 3D Prophet GeForce 2 Ultra
>cooling and optimization (all from 3dcool.com): Super orb, blue orb, thunderbird spacer, ultimate hard drive cooler, thermal compound, 2 twin turbos, 2 thick thermal tapes, 2 80x80x25 4000rpm fans, monitor fan, slot fan (ball bearing, not slot bearing), bay freezer
>Speaker: stereo system owned, in: line in on Aiwa 360 watt
>Networking: card got it already
>Monitor: 19” optiquest Q95
>Keyboard: MS Natural Feel
>Mouse: MS intellieye explorer
>3M Precision Mousing Surface - Blue Water
>APC Back UPS Pro 1400 (hey thats what they told me)
>PSX-like Controller pad

my case is a no name 300watt atx case i got from a computer show for $56 6 5.5 bays and 2 3.5 bays. the power supply has 4 cables with one fo the 4 split into 2.

what size if any additional power supply should i get? make any revisions to lis u feel neccessary

G

That's a gaming machine. Just get Win2k Pro :)

Mandrake is good for learning :)

if you blatently ignore my advice about OS, up the RAM to 384MB.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you need more power... if you're gonna run Win2k server, and even if you're just gonna do gaming, get two (or more) IBM Deskstarts, put them in RAID 0 config... trust me, its WORTH the money! :)
the kind of machine you're building begs for RAID... can't you hear it squeeling for more power? Don't torture it thus.. run and get a promise fasttrack RAID controller and hook those drives up! :)
:smile:

also, you have plenty of fans, that's great... but if you are building it yourself, make SURE you understand what's gonna happen with the airflow... putting many fans can be *worse* then just one or two, if they conflict and create turbulence... sheer quantity will do zilch if you don't put it in good places:)

Make sure that UPS has smart-monitoring software, not that crap which comes with ordinary BACK-UPS, which just tells you whether it's on or off (duh! :)

mandrake is pretty decent for learning, easy to install... doesn't support RAID yet though, RedHat does, and is arguably the most popular consumer-grade Linux out there..

G

OK, ill get just Win 2k Pro.... Basically ill be gaming, running gaming servers every once in a while (u could do it on 98, lol) and running hotline servers... they are not true server tho, www.bigredh.com (explains them) they basically are file transfer servers, much like a ftp server, that i might run too.
But why waste it when u have a friend who works at MS.... he said Advanced win2k server is 80$ US.....*bliss* games are $10....But should i really up my ram another 128mb? i already have 2 128 sticks.... btw at a local shop they are 79$ a piece for Micron ram. A promise Fastrack Raid ill get, but for now (i dont really need 2 yet, and the price, the barebones alone is running me down) ill get one 60 giger... maxtor isnt good? i know bout the fans. i already tested em without anything in the box.... i used colored CO2... the wonders of paintball. im not sure if the back ups pro has the software tho.... also u say red hat over mandrake....

Still no one answered my original question.... how much more wattage of a power supply do i need?

also anyone see any compatibility issues? not necessarily with Linux, but expecially with running win2k<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bighead78 on 01/10/01 04:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

For Win2k server yes I would add the extra RAM.

and I'd go at least a 350W power supply.....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go with a 400W unit, they getting cheap now. And I would think about a different CPU cooler, maybe an FOP38 or an Alpha-the super orb is noisy but not much better than the regular orb, and puts a lot of weight on the socket. Even a regular FOP32 is a good choice for that settup, is not as noisy, and puts less weight on the socket. Since you have such a big case, it should run pleanty cool enough with a coupl;e case fans.