More Stores Pulling The Elder Scrolls Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adroid

Distinguished
I really wanted to like that game. Heck, if it went to a F2P model I might even load it up again. The transition from beta to live the game changed drastically, and my particular build was unfortunately not viable.
F2P is not a bad model, and publishers indefinitely make more money from it... and maintain a larger "casual" player base to boot.
The way to do it right is allow the pay part of F2P to give cosmetic items and small bonuses without making the game completely imba. People pay good money to ride a cool looking mount or have more "bling" on their in-game toon. Conversely, F2P starts to be a real drag when people are able to instagib you due to their monetary contributions.

Grognak

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Zenimax got too greedy. They thought Skyrim's 20 million players would make 20 million suscribers. They thought we'd take everything they'd throw at us as long as it was labelled "Elder Scrolls". They thought we'd be happy to switch from a completely open character system to one with an extremely limited class choice. And if all that wasn't enough, the game is simply subpar compared to the competition. ESO will get F2P, the console versions will never be released, Zenimax will never make an MMO again.

hjj174

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
ESO really isn't that bad of game, it just has a very slow early game. Even though it's not a true Elder Scrolls game in a sense, it still expands the lore and really gives an idea into what Bethesda imagines the rest of Tamriel as. Some one will probably say Bethesda didn't make it, which is true, but they did contribute to the development team through lore and concept arts.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Remember that u wonder around skyrim, and found a hunter camp or a small bandit hut or even a bandit fortress? These are real estates. ESO is a big world, why dont they start selling/renting these in game houses like how the real world works? todays world, it all about social, I am pretty sure some people would pay hundreds or even thousands for an In-game luxury mansion where they can pickup items(which some are part of micro-transactions) and decorate like how skyrim heartfire DLCs. People like to show off, give them something to show off. Valve understand it well , look at those background profile, steam levels.

The money collected from here could easily enough to keep the game free to play.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
4 people X $15 a month was to much for me. I can fly round trip to Europe once per year for the annual cost of the game in my situation. Had they actually done a "Lifetime Sub" plan I may have forked over the money at that point. Not any longer.

Spazzy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
F2P sucks... If it goes F2W, I will immediately uninstall the game. This is a very good game that suffers from a few fatal flaws;
1. There are a ridiculous amount of bugs in the game.
2. The guild system is poorly constructed. There is no sense of belonging to a guild, they are simply a way to gain access to an auction house.
3. Leveling is arduous at best. It's not too bad early on, but later, especially the veteran levels, it is just a grind.
4. But, the biggest flaw of all, there is nothing new in this game. Zenimax failed to bring anything unique to the table. They have the justice system coming which will finally bring something to the table other mmo's don't have, but it may be too late.

There is a lot to love in this game as well;
1. The combat system in entertaining and requires you to play your toon instead of relying on a set of stats.
2. The dungeon system is a blast. Who needs raids when veteran dungeons require raid like precision and can be completed in an hour.
3. Challenges give you yet another thing to do with your friends.
4. You don't have to spend half your game time hunting for mats. They are easy enough to find, but you also get plenty from de'ing gear.
5. Gold isn't hard to come by. No reason for gold spammers to ruin the game.
6. You can gear yourself instead of relying on RNG for appropriate drops.
7. PVP is easily accessible. You do not have to be fully leveled to enjoy PVP content.
8. THE GAME ENJOYS A MOSTLY MATURE USER BASE. Zone chat doesn't look like high school just let out.
9. The game has plenty of solo content. You are not reliant on others to be able to enjoy your game.

Unfortunately, Zenimax's failure to separate this game from the mob at launch will very likely lead to it's demise. Now that WOW's expansion pack has launched, the competition will likely kill this game off, at least in it's current iteration.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I was a launch day subscriber and recently cancelled my account.
1. I really didn't feel I added anything 'unique' to a party or a raiding group like other games. (FYI I had 4 level max characters who were advancing through the higher content.) Problem is any character can be anything. A dragon knight can spec as a healer, so can a sorc. In fact a sorc healer with a healing staff is often stronger than a templar (a healer). Since you can equip items that cross pollinates the classes so much there really aren't any 'classes'. This means there is no real reason for someone to want 'you' on their team because they can get the same from anybody.
2. I have a Radeon 290X and an i4770 with 32GB's of ram on an SSD raid array - still not fast enough on medium settings to get more than 18FPS during a large cyrodil battle. I'm blazing fast with 20 people or less on the screen even on max settings but cyrodil battles force me to run low settings most of the time to get 20+ FPS.
3. The game was fun for months but the main 'draw' cyrodil got really repetitive.
4. ESO did implement some customization of the toons but in cyrodil everyone still looks alike. Almost impossible to pick out one of your friends in a group of toons.
5. The whole game design makes you feel like a generic widget who can be replaced at any time by any other toon. The emperor idea is a cool one but it is brief and reserved for people who have outrageous cyrodil scores. (people who play 20 hours per day etc.)
I finally gave up hoping the structure of the game would be improved.

joneb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Why do companies have to go either free to play, buy to play or a high subscription. I have asked this most of my life but why do so many people misunderstand how to compromise or provide balance. Instead of such a large as sub why not a small sub that could even be paid by in game currency so someone with more time than money can pay the sub by populating the game world and being helpful. A true cosmetic only store can be provided too. I would be happy paying for the game then £4 British a month if it would mean faster, more substantial new content than usually with f2p or b2p including GW2 which I have been playing since beta by the way.

this game was the biggest disappointment of 2014 for me, I really looked forward to this game and could not believe how much of a disappointment this game was.

I didn't like how they dummied down the classes from say oblivion, it feels like a not fun version of wow.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
The biggest problem was simply that's not a great game; it had, and maybe still has, a ton of potential, but it'd need to really take a good look at what it wants to be. Currently it's just WoW with better storyline missions, the Elder Scrolls setting and a veneer of Skyrim gameplay that's just far too shallow.

What people really wanted is an adaptation of the slick, punchy and fun Skyrim gameplay brought online, but instead we got the same kind of tray-management coupled with generally dull and spammy combat. It does do a few things well; the tray doesn't need to be big to give you some flexibility, but it does just devolve to spamming the same attacks, like most MMOs, meanwhile potions (normally the goto item for healing and mana) are a mostly useless afterthought.

Things like crafting are much too complicated and not very rewarding, particularly when improving the skill means taking points from other abilities. It should be its own tree with its own levelling, with differences reflected in item quality and effects and items scaling with character level, i.e - instead of making a level 2 sword for level 2 characters, you make a rare quality sword that any character level can use.

They really need to make better use of instancing to avoid the common MMO issues of rapidly respawning enemies to try in vain to compensate for player over-crowding of missions and areas. Even more-so because instanced zones suffer a lot less lag, which allows some of the reactive (dodging etc.) elements of combat to function better. But most importantly they need to decouple the combat from the rigid, and boring, mechanisms that currently power it; dodging or blocking in response to something often feels futile as the game seems to queue up the action, a far cry from the constant dodging and carefully timed strikes and blocks of Skyrim.

It's a real shame though, as I love the setting, and the story elements and how it ties all the factions together, really does have a ton of potential.

whatev

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
1. Why would Bethesda comment. It is being done by Zenimax.
2. Why would they respond to you if you can't even spell the manager's name correctly. Seriously?! Mat Frior? WTF? A millisecond Google search can tell you it's Matt Firor. So bad.

Narrator

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
Played in the beta, Pre-ordered the physical Imperial Edition.. Purchased a 3 month time card on top of the 30 free days for purchasing.. Uninstalled after week two. Combat is boring, storyline is boring, leveling is .. you guessed it BORING. Nothing in this game is revolutionary, as they promised.. They remove a few aspects of typical MMOs Like a global auction house and tons of social features and deem those removals as revolutionary.. Worst experience with an MMO I have ever had.. and I played SWTOR and FFXIV before it was a realm reborn.. The only Plus I can give this game is the graphics.. that is ALL.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
"We feel that putting pay gates between the player and content at any point in game ruins that feeling of freedom,..."

Well that's the wrong way to create a F2P model. Just focus on custom skins/outfits with maybe some XP boosts (just examples, there are many more options). If your adding power and/or blocking content you're doing it wrong.

"...and just having one small monthly fee for 100% access to the game fits the IP and the game much better than a system where you have to pay for features and access as you play."

So you came up with the wicked awesome idea of locking out an entire race for CE buyers only? Are you kidding me?

Look I'm not hugely fond of F2P games, mainly because in some way they sell power. But look at something like League of Legends (hate the game but it's an example), they made roughly a billion (yes with a "B") dollars with micro-transactions in 2014. Are you seriously telling me you can't create compelling and good content with a billion dollars yearly?

Edit: Typos

BryndonB

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Love/loved TES 3,4 & 5. Tried ESO but got sick of it after a couple of weeks. It is NOT Elder Scrolls. It is just another MMO with Elder Scrolls names. Looking forward to TES6...

Steven291993

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
I think if it goes to F2P it will accommodate most players that work for a living & don't have the time to sit on the game all day or that would like not having to worry about the monthly subscription they are not using when they want to play another F2P game like "Destiny". Yes I admit that ESO has way more content & free roaming spaces & most likely offers a larger if not better story driven game but at the same time, do you want to pay for a game you'll have to practically play all day everyday to get your money's worth? Think about it. I'm a huge fan of the series & to date Skyrim is one of the best titles they've EVER made. I'm so excited to finally incorporate all my friends into the game with me so I'm not alone but it is fun being "Lone Wolf" in a couple of quests. I just hope the game is moving more to where the players themselves populate the world & can erected their own cities together & become self efficient. F2P is definitely a right direction to go in.... if you know what you're doing. Also if people have a real issue with these "little kids" wrecking the experience for them then I have two options for you, you might have overlooked.

One: Mute their damn mic so you don't have to listen to there damn filth.
Two: Block them. Simple people...

Oh and if the creators wanted to, they could make a server in which you had to prove you're the age you say you actually are. For example, place all the younger kids in a separate server with ages 10 to 15-16 & anyone else mature enough ages 17-21+

tehlexinator

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
The game is going F2P. After a disastrous launch, and word of mouth having more impact than they thought, this is the only solution.

The funny thing is this review is making a comeback: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1U46C1NVZVAMV

Not only did this guy nail every issue they had at launch, but he also predicted that the game will go F2P within a year of its release.

Lol on the official forums they are deleting all threads mentioning that review.

blim byrne

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
I loved Morrowind, really loved it. played Oblivion, and skyrim, loved all the little bits and side quests you could find, signed up for ESO beta, was enthusiastic when i got in.
Its not sandbox- which I miss, low level armour looks terrible, but then low level armour usually does. Then I started dying in every fight over level 5, wth? so i went back and made a heavy armour wearer- still died- now I find out it's server side lag, I simply wasnt moving as the game battered me, thats a bit of a problem- I wasnt planning on moving from europe to the US any time soon. In the second beta i played npcs developed a glitch- you couldn't get out of the interaction, couldn't buy, sell, or bank things, towards the end of that beta people had realised all crafting required items found by looking in boxes/cupboards/whatever and as a result everything everywhere was looted- there were no crafting stones to be had. so I couldn't fight & couldn't craft. I gave up. Logged into the next beta session and nothing had changed, death, no loot, npc glitch. logged out. Didnt log in again.
I'm not sure how theyre going to fix the european lag, someone said its because all the servers are in the US.
Everything looks really washed out, brown/ grey, so it's not even really worth looking at the view.
If they fix fix the bugs i might check it out when it goes f2p, but I'm not hearing good things.
How can they- at this point in the whole shebang- make dungeons individual/group instances to stop boss campers screwing it up for everyone else? How can they fix the phasing so group members can interact if theyre not on exactly the same stage of the same q? This is pretty fundemental stuff.
It'll never have the intimacy of previous games, or the ability to add your own bits (is that odd- getting a kick out of arranging your own trophies of battle?), so it's just a grey-brown mmo, not elder scrolls, and it's really full of holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS