Question Most games are crashing randomly on new build ?

NickPrus

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Hello all!

I built a new pc a few months back and most games are just randomly crashing and I cannot figure out why. The games that crash most are CS, Apex and Assassins Creed. Discord also crashes occassionally

Specs:
Mobo: MSI Z790 Gaming Pro
CPU: i7-14700KF
RAM: T-Force Vulcan 2x16GB DDR5 6000
GPU: Radeon RX 6650 XT 8GB GDDR6
Storage: 2TB WD Black SSD

What I have tried:
  • Updating drivers (I just used the device manager to check, is there a more thorough way?)
  • Update motherboard Bios
  • Turned on and off XMP in my mobo bios
  • Removed one stick of RAM at a time
  • Verify game cache for all games that crash

Please help me out, I am willing to try anything and am just really frustrated with how my newly built PC is crashing on games that my old PC was able to run fine.

Thank you!

NickPrus

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Besides the game, what apps are you running?
Look in your installed programs list for anything you do not recognize.
Perhaps do a malware scan.
Largely just discord and spotify. I have monitored task manager while playing and during crashes and CPU/memory do not max out during crashes. Nothing else outside of the normal but what malware scan would you recommend?

May 24, 2024
I think going to Amd's website and download drivers there is another option you can rule out, you never know.

Latest BIOS yes for sure, I updated my drivers with device manager autocheck, is there a better way to ensure I am on the most up to date chipset drivers?
Here should be your latest chipset driver. If you suspect the graphics drivers are an issue get the latest one for your card from the AMD website. Use DDU to get rid of current driver in safe mode, and then reboot and install the AMD driver you downloaded. If that does not fix it you can be sure its not the graphics driver. Did you clear CMOS after you did your BIOS update?

NickPrus

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Here should be your latest chipset driver. If you suspect the graphics drivers are an issue get the latest one for your card from the AMD website. Use DDU to get rid of current driver in safe mode, and then reboot and install the AMD driver you downloaded. If that does not fix it you can be sure its not the graphics driver. Did you clear CMOS after you did your BIOS update?
I did not clear CMOS after the BIOS update, is that an important step?