[SOLVED] Motherboard and HDD failure

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Hello gamers so few weeks ago i send my PC to a repairman because my it started blue screening and sometimes won't give me any display. The serviceman said that the HDD caused the blue screen issue and the motherboard caused no display issue. So what i want to know is can a HDD really cause bluescreens? i remember using a program called Victoria to see any issues with my HDD and it said the drive was in a good condition. The hard drive is pretty old and i do remember seeing the current pending sector count increase from 0 to 1 so could that be the issue?

PC specs
Core 2 Quad q6600
GT1030
4GB RAM
Win 7 64bit

Solution
This motherboard has an Intel north and southbridge, plus a Winbond Super I/O chip. Are your keyboard and mouse connected by USB or PS/2?

Chipset : Intel Q33 + ICH7 , Super I/O: Winbond W83627DHG chip

800px-Motherboard_diagram.svg.png

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
-yes the Bsod cause by HDD is possible
-the pending 0 to 1 is not necessary to be the cause, is possible to be false victim.
-Crystal Disk is merely standard tool to see SMART report, what you need should be a software that able to do Deep Scan into HDD Cell.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
-BSOD without HDD is possible
-HDD Cause no Display = Unlikely, usually cause by Motherboard having difficulties to execute it core operation (Mobo/CPU/RAM)

This answer makes no sense at all.

BSOD is IMPOSSIBLE without an HDD. For a BSOD to happen you need a drive with Windows on it. Were you to remove the harddrive, the PC does nothing at all other than access the BIOS.

If you're booting the PC and seeing the BIOS then the failure is not necessarily Mobo/CPU/Ram. If you get no display after that iut could be any number of reasons from the HDD failing, to your Windows install being corrupt.... and that corruption could be caused by the HDD failing. And HDD failing can also cause a BSOD because Windows may well still boot but again be corrupt and will error out... hence BSOD.

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
This answer makes no sense at all.

BSOD is IMPOSSIBLE without an HDD. For a BSOD to happen you need a drive with Windows on it. Were you to remove the harddrive, the PC does nothing at all other than access the BIOS.

If you're booting the PC and seeing the BIOS then the failure is not necessarily Mobo/CPU/Ram. If you get no display after that iut could be any number of reasons from the HDD failing, to your Windows install being corrupt.... and that corruption could be caused by the HDD failing. And HDD failing can also cause a BSOD because Windows may well still boot but again be corrupt and will error out... hence BSOD.
-ha ha ha, my bad. As Rogue said, you going to need another storage such as SSD or HDD and reinstall back a window or any Bootable system to try out again to find out the BSOD.

-And yes is not necessary to be any of that 3 parts, there lot of factor from Case to Standoff to any External connection or even Turning button itself may cause the None-Display issues. Anymore to this No Display issues, we going to need detail about your hardware.

Sry for misinformation as I am merely simplify my answer .

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
-And yes is not necessary to be any of that 3 parts, there lot of factor from Case to Standoff to any External connection or even Turning button itself may cause the None-Display issues.

Still makes no sense, while yes those can cause a non display issue. This was a fully functional system, so the chances of the case or a standoff or most external factors causing his issue are also 0.

If its NOT showing the BIOS then it could be a mobo/cpu/ram failure (or the other issues you mentioned, IF it was a new build), but thats not what he said.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Still makes no sense, while yes those can cause a non display issue. This was a fully functional system, so the chances of the case or a standoff or most external factors causing his issue are also 0.

If its NOT showing the BIOS then it could be a mobo/cpu/ram failure (or the other issues you mentioned, IF it was a new build), but thats not what he said.
Hey so i tested my GPU and RAM and it showed 0 errors. The bluescreens only happens if i turn my PC off overnight and then you turn it on back again it either gives no display, bluescreens or just freezes, bluescreens and freezing could happen even before the windows logo loads up or when the motherboards logo shows.

Youmight want to make sure of the behavior of your rig when performing 'shutdown' (adjustable within settings) as many times the default behavior might be to suspend/hibernate as opposed to doing a true shutdown, and, as some rigs/mainboards have issues coming out of such a state, it would be a shame to waste time on such issues if they only occur coming out of hibernation..

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Youmight want to make sure of the behavior of your rig when performing 'shutdown' (adjustable within settings) as many times the default behavior might be to suspend/hibernate as opposed to doing a true shutdown, and, as some rigs/mainboards have issues coming out of such a state, it would be a shame to waste time on such issues if they only occur coming out of hibernation..
No i don't think my rig is on hibernate it only happens if i shut down my system overnight

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hey so i tested my GPU and RAM and it showed 0 errors. The bluescreens only happens if i turn my PC off overnight and then you turn it on back again it either gives no display, bluescreens or just freezes, bluescreens and freezing could happen even before the windows logo loads up or when the motherboards logo shows.

So to be clear, if you shut it off at night one of the following conditions happens upon turning it on:

1. No boot or display at all (no BIOS even)
  2. It displays but freeze on the BIOS and never boots Windows
  3. It will begin to boot to windows (you see the Windows logo and the spinning circle of dots) and it freezes or bluescreens there.
  4. It boots to Windows and bluescreens there.

Then what happens? If you reboot the system does it then boot up perfectly fine? Is the system reliable after that on that working boot or will it bluescreen again later?

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
So to be clear, if you shut it off at night one of the following conditions happens upon turning it on:

1. No boot or display at all (no BIOS even)
  2. It displays but freeze on the BIOS and never boots Windows
  3. It will begin to boot to windows (you see the Windows logo and the spinning circle of dots) and it freezes or bluescreens there.
  4. It boots to Windows and bluescreens there.
Then what happens? If you reboot the system does it then boot up perfectly fine? Is the system reliable after that on that working boot or will it bluescreen again later?
2. I don't know if it freezes on bios but it does freeze on safe mode and at the motherboard logo, its really random. after it freezes i have to restart my PC and it gives no display and i have to restart it like 10 to 20 times for it to give any display but after all the bluescreens and freezes i can use my system without any issues for however long i want.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
2. I don't know if it freezes on bios but it does freeze on safe mode and at the motherboard logo, its really random. after it freezes i have to restart my PC and it gives no display and i have to restart it like 10 to 20 times for it to give any display but after all the bluescreens and freezes i can use my system without any issues for however long i want.

This is an important distinction, because if it ALWAYS gets past the BIOS then the chances of it being a motherboard failure are much lower.

It sure sounds to me like your Windows install may be corrupted, but that corruption could have been caused by any number of things, including a failing hard drive.

First thing you should do is to follow these instructions to repair your Windows install (start with just steps 1-4)

After doing all that see how the system behaves. Then work from there. Let us know what happens.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
I
This is an important distinction, because if it ALWAYS gets past the BIOS then the chances of it being a motherboard failure are much lower.

It sure sounds to me like your Windows install may be corrupted, but that corruption could have been caused by any number of things, including a failing hard drive.

First thing you should do is to follow these instructions to repair your Windows install (start with just steps 1-4)

After doing all that see how the system behaves. Then work from there. Let us know what happens.
I've already did that but the same thing still happens and what do you mean by 'get past the BIOS' i never booted into the BIOS.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I

I've already did that but the same thing still happens and what do you mean by 'get past the BIOS' i never booted into the BIOS.

By get past the BIOS I mean the initial screen that pops up when you first turn the system on, the BIOS loading. If its a prebuilt system it would say like Dell or HP, or if it was custom built it would probably be like American Megatrends considering the age, or maybe the Motherboard brand's logo.