[SOLVED] Motherboard Bluetooth range problem

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi All

i have a MSI Z390 ace mobo.
Which comes with antenna unit with two cables that connect to the back panel of the motherboard in 2 different SMA SLOTS.

One of the antenna cable got broken out of 2 cables.

now only 1 connector is connected on the backside of motherboard.

will it affect my Bluetooth connectivity? Because i am not getting Bluetooth range much.

it works only if i keep my any Bluetooth device very near to my desktop.

If i move my Bluetooth device little bit away from desktop. Audio will start breaking.

is that really happening due to 1 connector cable broken in antenna?

Are those 2 SMA ports back om motherboard for wifi snd Bluetooth both?

Last edited:
Solution
You can buy aftermarket antennae that have a wire connector ready to plug in.

What I don't understand though is you say a wire broke, but SMA is a port?

If it's the EXTERNAL wire attached to the antennae, replace, anything will do, you can get normal ones without a lead that are harder to damage lol. If it's the INTERNAL wire to the port, I hope you're handy with a soldering iron.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi All

i have a MSI Z390 ace mobo.
Which comes with antenna unit with two cables that connect to the back panel of the motherboard in 2 different SMA SLOTS.

One of the antenna cable got broken out of 2 cables.

now only 1 connector is connected on the backside of motherboard.

will it affect my Bluetooth connectivity? Because i am not getting Bluetooth range much.

it works only if i keep my any Bluetooth device very near to my desktop.

If i move my Bluetooth device little bit away from desktop. Audio will start breaking.

is that really happening due to 1 connector cable broken in antenna?

Are those 2 SMA ports back om motherboard for wifi snd Bluetooth both?
Sounds like you answered your own question, with "YES". Bluetooth should have more range than that.

Reactions: anjris

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
You can buy aftermarket antennae that have a wire connector ready to plug in.

What I don't understand though is you say a wire broke, but SMA is a port?

If it's the EXTERNAL wire attached to the antennae, replace, anything will do, you can get normal ones without a lead that are harder to damage lol. If it's the INTERNAL wire to the port, I hope you're handy with a soldering iron.

Solution

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Sounds like you answered your own question, with "YES". Bluetooth should have more range than that.
Hi Kanewolf,

Thanks for your help.

I just want to know, on backside of motherboard, i have 2 SMA ports.

Do you have any idea, why they have given 2 SMA ports. what is the purpose of 2.

Is that one for wifi and other one for bluetooth?

Appreciate if you clear my doubt on SMA ports. how do they work?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hi Kanewolf,

Thanks for your help.

I just want to know, on backside of motherboard, i have 2 SMA ports.

Do you have any idea, why they have given 2 SMA ports. what is the purpose of 2.

Is that one for wifi and other one for bluetooth?

Appreciate if you clear my doubt on SMA ports. how do they work?

With 2 ports, one is reserved entirely for WiFi, the other is shared WiFi/Bluetooth.

This is called dual antennae, more than this number of antennae is also called MIMO (multiple input multiple output).

You are able to use both without anything actually attached, but range will be absolutely <Mod Edit>, and because the port expects the electrical resistivity of an antennae, things can go wrong with signal quality and interference, and worst case scenario can break with continual use due to an electrical fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: anjris

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
With 2 ports, one is reserved entirely for WiFi, the other is shared WiFi/Bluetooth.

This is called dual antennae, more than this number of antennae is also called MIMO (multiple input multiple output).

You are able to use both without anything actually attached, but range will be absolutely <Mod Edit>, and because the port expects the electrical resistivity of an antennae, things can go wrong with signal quality and interference, and worst case scenario can break with continual use due to an electrical fault.
What do you mean by one is reserved for wifi and other one is reserved for Bluetooth.

because one of my antenna connector got broken but other one is ok. Both cables are going to one antenna and other end has 2 SMA CONNECTOR.

so if connect good connector into either of 2 SMA PORT on backside of motherboard. On one side wifi is working fine. But not getting Bluetooth range at all.

but on other SMA PORT if i connect same good connector. Nothing is working (wifi+Bluetooth) no range at all.

so if good connector is fine in my antenna then it supposed to work on either side wherever i will connect according to you.

why it is working only on one SMA PORT on backside of motherboard? But not with other.

Last edited by a moderator:

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
On removable WiFi cards, there is a main and secondary antennae, so also possible on built in ones. The main would seem to be mandatory judging by your test..?

Of course there is only 1 physical antennae, I have only 1 physical antennae, with 2 wired antennae inside mine and yours each.

Only top shelf WiFi solutions have a separate antennae for each 2/4/6/8 MIMO connections.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
On removable WiFi cards, there is a main and secondary antennae, so also possible on built in ones. The main would seem to be mandatory judging by your test..?

Of course there is only 1 physical antennae, I have only 1 physical antennae, with 2 wired antennae inside mine and yours each.

Only top shelf WiFi solutions have a separate antennae for each 2/4/6/8 MIMO connections.
Didn't get you completely

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Ok, your phone then. See any antennae? No? They are all inside 1 device
My question is

The connector on my antenna which is not broken. It should work on both SMA PORTS wherever i will connect

Why it is working only on 1 SMA PORT. On that port i am getting only wifi range but not the Bluetooth range

And if i connect same connector on other SMA PORT then no range at all. No wifi no Bluetooth range

Why?

That connector suppose to work on both SMA port which is backside of my motherboard wherever i connect.

My one connector got broken not the SMA port.

I hope you understand my question

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
I don't know the electrical engineering ins and outs enough to explain in layman. 1 port just relies on the other for Bluetooth 🤷

It's broke, and you can't fix coax yourself. It's shielded cable so even if you soldered it's gonna suck.

Unscrew a spare antennae from an old router and use that, problem solved.

Reactions: Mahisse

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
I don't know the electrical engineering ins and outs enough to explain in layman. 1 port just relies on the other for Bluetooth 🤷

It's broke, and you can't fix coax yourself. It's shielded cable so even if you soldered it's gonna suck.

Unscrew a spare antennae from an old router and use that, problem solved.
I have ordered this one. Could you please care to see whether if it will work or not

Appreciate your help!

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B091GMVPQ9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4RSBZ3HFPDFCXY50KYBF

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
If new antennae don't make it work, its gonna be an internal problem. But get over that hurdle when/if you get to it.

How'd you break the original one anyway? Dog chew it? Reindeer maybe?
No.

I was trying to lift my pc cabinet and antenna cable i have pasted over wall through cello tape.

So it got broke when i have moved my cabinet and didn't notice about cable. It got streched and its one of the connector got soldered out of the cable. ☹️

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Some good tape you got there. Don't take much force on the wires eh, thats why i prefer the cablefree wifi. I mean, whats the point making internet wireless and then adding wires to the outside of the pc?
I just don't get component companies sometimes

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Some good tape you got there. Don't take much force on the wires eh, thats why i prefer the cablefree wifi. I mean, whats the point making internet wireless and then adding wires to the outside of the pc?
Because I have mounted the antenna on the wall. So somehow i have to manage wires going from cabinet to antenna and got pasted over wall via tape

But you are right. Companies suppose to provide wireless antenna like i have ordered one.

Tension free from wires😇

But will you help me in case if new antenna's won't work. It will get delivered today from Amazon.

I guess 6 dbi will work fine for good range inside the house? Am i right?Because the one i broke that was giving me very good range for both wifi and Bluetooth

But not sure how much dbi that was. As it got shipped with my motherboard and company didn't mention its dbi anywhere.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Some good tape you got there. Don't take much force on the wires eh, that's why I prefer the cubefree wifi. I mean, what's the point making internet wireless and then adding wires to the outside of the pc?
Hi,

With new Antenna's, I have same problem, No Bluetooth range at all.

So this is my findings with new antenna's. Both Antenna's are connected on both SMA ports.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B091GMVPQ9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4RSBZ3HFPDFCXY50KYBF

1. I am getting full wifi range on both channels (2.4 & 5GHZ). No issues at all in wifi.

2. No Bluetooth range when I move just a foot away from pc.

But, I am getting Bluetooth range if I stand at line of sight of antenna on back side of cabinet even at some distance.

But When I move forward in front of my PC, I will lose Bluetooth connection or noise will start breaking.

TS performed.
  1. Tried to reinstall the Bluetooth drivers.
  2. Tried to install fresh new windows 10 from scratch.

No luck

And it was working fine somedays before. No issues at all.

I have just updated my windows to Win 21H2 upgrade. But I have tried to install fresh new windows 10 from scratch. And turned off the wifi so that windows won't get upgrade automatically.

Even then I have same problem.

I am not able to narrow down the problem myself.

@experts: Asking for your support in this weird situation to fix this.

Note: I really don't want to use USB Bluetooth Adapter

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hi,

With new Antenna's, I have same problem, No Bluetooth range at all.

So this is my findings with new antenna's. Both Antenna's are connected on both SMA ports.

1. I am getting full wifi range on both channels (2.4 & 5GHZ). No issues at all in wifi.

2. No Bluetooth range when I move just a foot away from pc.

But, I am getting Bluetooth range if I stand at line of sight of antenna on back side of cabinet even at some distance.

But When I move forward in front of my PC, I will lose Bluetooth connection or noise will start breaking.

TS performed.
  1. Tried to reinstall the Bluetooth drivers.
  2. Tried to install fresh new windows 10 from scratch.
No luck

And it was working fine somedays before. No issues at all.

I have just updated my windows to Win 21H2 upgrade. But I have tried to install fresh new windows 10 from scratch. And turned off the wifi so that windows won't get upgrade automatically.

Even then I have same problem.

I am not able to narrow down the problem myself.

@experts: Asking for your support in this weird situation to fix this.

Note: I really don't want to use USB Bluetooth Adapter

When you broke it did you look inside your case at the motherboard to see if there was any internal damage? There are 2 types of built in sma ports, ones with just a wire going to each and one with a massive block attached on the inside, like your ethernet port

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
When you broke it did you look inside your case at the motherboard to see if there was any internal damage? There are 2 types of built in sma ports, ones with just a wire going to each and one with a massive block attached on the inside, like your ethernet port
Mine is with a massive block

Please see the attached pic how antenna is connected to my motherboard

One connector is connected to my motherboard and other connector is broken on antenna side.

But on motherboard side both SMA PORTS got soldered into i/o chip inside and there is no internal damage.

View: https://imgur.com/a/tP1q5eN