[SOLVED] Motherboard Bluetooth range problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi All

i have a MSI Z390 ace mobo.
Which comes with antenna unit with two cables that connect to the back panel of the motherboard in 2 different SMA SLOTS.

One of the antenna cable got broken out of 2 cables.

now only 1 connector is connected on the backside of motherboard.

will it affect my Bluetooth connectivity? Because i am not getting Bluetooth range much.

it works only if i keep my any Bluetooth device very near to my desktop.

If i move my Bluetooth device little bit away from desktop. Audio will start breaking.

is that really happening due to 1 connector cable broken in antenna?

Are those 2 SMA ports back om motherboard for wifi snd Bluetooth both?

Last edited:
Solution
You can buy aftermarket antennae that have a wire connector ready to plug in.

What I don't understand though is you say a wire broke, but SMA is a port?

If it's the EXTERNAL wire attached to the antennae, replace, anything will do, you can get normal ones without a lead that are harder to damage lol. If it's the INTERNAL wire to the port, I hope you're handy with a soldering iron.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hang on, you keep saying about some kind of cabinet your pc is in. It's not some giant metal faraday cage blocking the signal is it? Also, what are you using to test the bluetooth? a foot doesn't sound like much but it really depends on what you are doing/using.

Can you go to your device manager, find your bluetooth module and reset the driver?

EcP29Yz.png

When you uninstall and then restart your pc, it should do a fresh driver install on startup. Obviously this will be tricky if your mouse and keyboard is bluetooth and turns off though, so use a usb keyboard if you need to.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
I have already tried all of this as already listed in my earlier post.

So finally i have purchased external usb Bluetooth connector 5.0 as below

TP-Link USB Bluetooth Adapter for... https://www.amazon.in/dp/B098K3H92Z?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And purchased 2 omnidirectional 9dbi antenna's dual band for wifi. So that i can hook it up in my motherboard SMA connector. Although my broken antenna was also giving me good range of wifi but i got rid of it and purchased new antenna's without wire.😊

But with new antenna's as well i got same problem. Bluetooth range is <Mod Edit> and wifi range is awesome.

That's why i got above usb Bluetooth connector to make my life easier

But I always got regret that my Bluetooth wasn't working through antenna's as it was working before.

Anyway, Thanks for your help.

Good Bye😊

Last edited by a moderator: