Question Motherboard choice for this specific purpose

keychain

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Hi after almost 2 decades with Intel I recently ordered Ryzen 5 3600 for my system upgrade.

I just wanted some suggestions on choosing a right motherboard for this upgrade.

My priority usage will be video editing and games. I chose ryzen 5 over ryzen 7 because it is suffice for my flow of work.

My concern is that entry level boards like msi b450m pro-m2 v2, asus prime b450m-a will be enough or should go with mid range boards like asus rog gaming and msi gaming pro as such.

Will my flow of work demand a mid ranger or an entry level would just be fine?

Thanks for helping in advance.

Sent from my SM-M405F using Tapatalk

Those entry level boards, are exactly that. They are lower quality, they lack features that might be desirable such as having fewer numbers of rear USB ports, fewer fan headers, fewer SATA headers and are just generally not built using as good of components for things like the mosfets, capacitors, thinner PCB material, etc. You do usually get what you pay for, if you don't pay much. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for when you pay more but you almost always get, or in this case, don't get, what you don't pay for.

What is your maximum motherboard budget?

How much memory do you plan to run and what speed of memory are you desiring to run?

What kind of CPU cooling are you planning to use and what is the model of case that you are planning to put all this in?

Power supply should be of concern as well. Do you currently already have a power supply, and if so, what is the EXACT model and how long has it been in service?

keychain

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Okay in that case I will eliminate the entry level boards. Suggest one between $150-180 if available or max I can go upto $200.

And gonna use 2x8GB RAM kit preferably 3200. Suggest one also.

I have a nzxt phantom full tower case. Will the stock cooler be enough? If not suggest one at a reasonable price.~$50

I have corsair vs 650 running for about a year now. Hope that is fine.

I am not a full time editor or an enthusiast gamer. FYI. Mostly on video and photo editing and occasionally gaming.

What is the model of the graphics card you are running OR are PLANNING to run? That is always the biggest factor when it comes to power supply selection. Unfortunately the VS series of Corsair power supplies are traditionally, not very good. I know they are popular in many less developed regions and in some cases are the best of a bunch of really crappy power supplies, but they are not particularly good. I wouldn't have one in any system that belonged to me and I would not install one in any client's system I was working one, if we're being brutally honest about it. They are generally junk.

That being said, the NEW versions of the VS are supposedly much better, but those have only been out for around a year or less.

Does the label on yours look like this:

Corsair-VS-650-Power-Supply-650-Watt.jpg

Or like this:

CP-9020172-NA-VS650_PSU_01.png

Okay in that case I will eliminate the entry level boards. Suggest one between $150-180 if available or max I can go upto $200.

And gonna use 2x8GB RAM kit preferably 3200. Suggest one also.

I have a nzxt phantom full tower case. Will the stock cooler be enough? If not suggest one at a reasonable price.~$50

I have corsair vs 650 running for about a year now. Hope that is fine.

I am not a full time editor or an enthusiast gamer. FYI. Mostly on video and photo editing and occasionally gaming.

I wouldn't take out 100$ motherboards, some are very capable and solid boards, specialy considering you will have a 3600 CPU, doesn't really need a high end motherboard unless you need all the fancy features.
As I said, go with a good B450 like a Steel Legend and you are good even with higher count core CPUs.

keychain

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
What is the model of the graphics card you are running OR are PLANNING to run? That is always the biggest factor when it comes to power supply selection. Unfortunately the VS series of Corsair power supplies are traditionally, not very good. I know they are popular in many less developed regions and in some cases are the best of a bunch of really crappy power supplies, but they are not particularly good. I wouldn't have one in any system that belonged to me and I would not install one in any client's system I was working one, if we're being brutally honest about it. They are generally junk.

That being said, the NEW versions of the VS are supposedly much better, but those have only been out for around a year or less.

Does the label on yours look like this:

Corsair-VS-650-Power-Supply-650-Watt.jpg

Or like this:

CP-9020172-NA-VS650_PSU_01.png

I already have Asus Phoenix GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 GPU.
The PSU is the one shown in first picture.

So that is the older VS series, which is not very good. But for a GTX 1050 TI, which maybe pulls 450w when you include the entire rest of the system, it's probably ok, until it isn't.

So, what country are you in, so that I can know what hardware to recommend since there are major differences in availability from region to region?

keychain

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I wouldn't take out 100$ motherboards, some are very capable and solid boards, specialy considering you will have a 3600 CPU, doesn't really need a high end motherboard unless you need all the fancy features.
As I said, go with a good B450 like a Steel Legend and you are good even with higher count core CPUs.
How about couple of boards I mentioned. Is Asrock Steel Legend better than those?

keychain

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Ok.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler (₹2515.00 @ Amazon India)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (₹12007.00 @ Newegg India)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (₹9695.00 @ Amazon India)
Total: ₹24217.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-14 11:28 IST+0530
Thanks for the suggestion. I found MSI B450 Tomahawk Max in a local store.

What difference this max version has? Is it Ryzen 3000 series ready so that no bios flashback needed?

Yes, it is somewhat better than the Gaming plus.

MOST B450 or X470 boards will need a BIOS update before R3000 can be used on them, and since they mostly DON'T have BIOS flashback, that means you'd need to already have a compatible AMD processor in order TO update the BIOS. For the most part, aside from a few high end ASUS boards, only a handful of the MSI boards HAVE BIOS flashback, which is why they are seeing broad recommendations, even from me, who generally dislikes MSI for motherboards.

X570 boards do not seem to even be available in your region however for under an equivalent of 200 dollars. They start, for the lowest end X570 boards, at about 14894 inr.

keychain

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Yes, appreciate your valuable inputs. I ordered MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. It does feature a BIOS flashback button but since it's a max version, it comes AMD 3000 series supported out of the box.

I do see a lot of x570 boards here in our stores too but it's too pricey and with features which i barely use.