[SOLVED] Motherboard & CPU for 2070 Super

Nov 8, 2020
Recently bought a 2070s to use for a while and then upgrade when new GPUs are available

Was wondering which cpu/motherboard would be a good buy to last a while without going overkill

Solution
I would suggest a Ryzen 5 5600 if you get a 3070, or a Ryzen 7 5700 if you get a 3080. This is at the minimum, and a Ryzen 7 with a decent motherboard and RAM is what I would recommend either way, so that would be the "safe" choice for now and later.
The CPU to go with would be based on the GPU that you intend to buy, what resolution monitor you are using, all that stuff. Since you bought the 2070S as a placeholder, what GPU do you plan to get later? That would determine which would be best, in order to not feel the need to upgrade everything again, once you have the new GPU.

Nov 8, 2020
The CPU to go with would be based on the GPU that you intend to buy, what resolution monitor you are using, all that stuff. Since you bought the 2070S as a placeholder, what GPU do you plan to get later? That would determine which would be best, in order to not feel the need to upgrade everything again, once you have the new GPU.

Currently have a 1080p 144 monitor but looking to grab a 1440 monitor relatively soon.

Originally i was looking at upgrading GPU to 3070/3080 but I could also wait a year or so for the generation after 3000 (Depends what makes sense at the time)

I would suggest a Ryzen 5 5600 if you get a 3070, or a Ryzen 7 5700 if you get a 3080. This is at the minimum, and a Ryzen 7 with a decent motherboard and RAM is what I would recommend either way, so that would be the "safe" choice for now and later.

Solution