Motherboard damage from unplugging desktop while in sleep mode?

cloudblade70

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I've recently built a new computer and everything has been running smoothly so far, except for two instances where an inconsiderate roommate has tried to plug in a space heater into a living room socket, causing power to go out for that room and my bedroom, which is nearby (requiring us to use the circuit breaker to restore power). The first time it happened, I got pretty pissed and I told him to not do it again. Being the ass he is, he did it again tonight.

The problem is, my computer is usually in sleep mode, so each time this happens, the computer takes like 10~15 minutes of fiddling around with before it will even start properly. This time, after getting it up and running again, I notice that while the computer is running normally, the lights on the motherboard do not turn on anymore. There is still beeping and the computer runs, but just those lights are out. Does anyone know why this might be the case? Was there perhaps permanent damage dealt to my mobo?

What do you guys recommend I do in this case? The roommate says he will never do it again, but I don't trust him. Should I just turn my computer off every time I go away/to bed? Or should I just use hibernate mode instead?

cloudblade70

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I did a little more research, and I've discovered that these lights are the phase LED and reflect the CPU load. It has something to do with the Dynamic Energy Saver program? How do I know if this function is enabled?

I know that usually the lights will on turn on right as the computer turns on and then usually remain off, but they do not turn on at all anymore.

I have a Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3.on