[SOLVED] Motherboard died, need help with some upgrade choices

Feb 15, 2019
So my ASUS Sabertooth Z77 just died today. I figure it's time to do some upgrading since it's been a hair over 7 years and I've only bought new GPUs.

Current Specs:
  • Windows 7 Home 64-bit
  • ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
  • Intel i5-3570k with Noctua NH-D14 Cooler
  • Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 Xtreme GPU
  • G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4x 4GB DDR3 1600
  • ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channel PCI Express x1 Sound Card
  • Corsair HX750 PSU
  • Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD
  • WD 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
  • ASUS SATA DVD Burner
  • ASUS VG248QE 24" 1080p 144Hz Monitor
  • CM Storm Enforcer Mid Tower
Approximate Purchase Date:

Need to buy right away.

Budget Range:

Max that I can spend right now is $700 USD.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

All equally important.

Gaming (new games along with emulators and older titles), Programming (Web Dev & 2D Game coding), and music recording/production.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No

Don't need a monitor now, but I plan on upgrading to 4K in the future.

Parts to Upgrade:

I need a new motherboard, CPU, RAM (16GB minimum), and a new tower. I'll be re-using my Corsair HX750 PSU.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes / No

No. Currently have Windows 7 installed on my SSD.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts::

I almost always buy my parts from Newegg but I've used Amazon a couple of times in the past.

NY, USA.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type:

I've always liked using Intel & ASUS but I'm not against switching brands for any component.

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe:

Yes.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe:

Never cared about SLI/Crossfire.

Your Monitor Resolution:

Currently using a 1080p 144Hz monitor but will be upgrading to a 4K in the not so distant future.

Additional Comments:

My current tower has a window which I've always liked but it's not necessary. I like my builds to be fairly quiet. My current one only makes really noticeable sound when I game heavy. I'd rather not do any type of water cooling since I'm pretty unfamiliar with it. I also prefer a mid-size tower (no room for full size) with good cable management being essential. Aside from that, I'll probably be upgrading the GPU when I grab a new monitor later this year so you can keep that in mind.

Why Are You Upgrading:

My motherboard bit the dust.

Last edited:
Solution
all I can see you needing is a platform upgrade.
Assuming you live in america so I'm giving you parts and retailers based on that.
I also threw a new cooler in there since I don't know if you have the appropriate mounting hardware for the Ryzen CPU to use your current cooler.

The retailer B&H doesn't collect taxes unless you live in either New York or New Jersey and has free shipping.
So the price you see is the price you pay.

Assuming the worst that the tax rate where you live is 10%, then the taxes on the two items from Amazon and Newegg total $44.40 making the total cost of these components combined $707.53

Here you go.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
all I can see you needing is a platform upgrade.
Assuming you live in america so I'm giving you parts and retailers based on that.
I also threw a new cooler in there since I don't know if you have the appropriate mounting hardware for the Ryzen CPU to use your current cooler.

The retailer B&H doesn't collect taxes unless you live in either New York or New Jersey and has free shipping.
So the price you see is the price you pay.

Assuming the worst that the tax rate where you live is 10%, then the taxes on the two items from Amazon and Newegg total $44.40 making the total cost of these components combined $707.53

Here you go.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($308.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF X470-PLUS GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.25 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $663.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-15 23:26 EST-0500

Solution