[SOLVED] Motherboard displayport-in how it works?

dirtvic

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Hi Everyone.

I have an X99p-Sli-cf motherboard with a displayport-in and a usb3.1c, is their a way I can add my second monitor to this?

I have 1060 6gb, one monitor is connected the this, I want the other one to connect to my motherboard if that possible?

and if I connect my second monitor to graphic card only, does that impact the performance of graphic card?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Short answer is no. It's an input you need an output to run a monitor.

The DP in on that board is for adding thunderbolt 3 support by plugging a dp cable from a dp output on a video card to the DP input on the motherboard.
Here's the copy paste from Gigabytes website
"One of the main advantages of Thunderbolt™ 3 is its ability to carry a video signal, but as X99 platforms don’t have a GPU integrated in the CPU, the Thunderbolt controller needs to link with a discrete graphics card. In order to solve this conundrum, GIGABYTE designed the GA-X99P-SLI with a DisplayPort input on the back I/O allowing users to pair their system to a monitor with a Type-C connector (the required cables to connect the graphics card to Thunderbolt controller...
Maybe i'm blind but I don't see Display port on the motherboard... or maybe its different board (not GA-X99-SLI?)

20150428173947_m.png

Even if you have... Display port on the motherboard, don't connect them, to the motherboard... always USE the external GPU if you have one installed.. it wont affect it's performance... Unless you watch 8K on one monitor and play Games on the other... and even if your performance is affected, i don't know a brand that offers, parallel work with the integrated and external GPU at the same time, maybe I'm wrong someone to correct me on that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Depends if motherboard allows iGPU to operate with a GPU installed. Often motherboards disable iGPU and others able to re-enable in the Bios. Can you test either monitor right now using the motherboard ports to see?

Running iGPU won't affect GPU directly but some CPU resources would be directed in running the iGPU though. Depends what you do on the second monitor, ie multi tasking, GPU performance may be affected by the CPU being more occupied.

Reactions: Vyrvelata

dirtvic

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Last edited:
sorry, here it is again
MBD: Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI-CF

You already have an answer.
Can you test either monitor right now using the motherboard ports to see?
Running iGPU won't affect GPU directly but some CPU resources would be directed in running the iGPU though. Depends what you do on the second monitor, ie multi tasking, GPU performance may be affected by the CPU being more occupied.

bignastyid

Titan
Short answer is no. It's an input you need an output to run a monitor.

The DP in on that board is for adding thunderbolt 3 support by plugging a dp cable from a dp output on a video card to the DP input on the motherboard.
Here's the copy paste from Gigabytes website
"One of the main advantages of Thunderbolt™ 3 is its ability to carry a video signal, but as X99 platforms don’t have a GPU integrated in the CPU, the Thunderbolt controller needs to link with a discrete graphics card. In order to solve this conundrum, GIGABYTE designed the GA-X99P-SLI with a DisplayPort input on the back I/O allowing users to pair their system to a monitor with a Type-C connector (the required cables to connect the graphics card to Thunderbolt controller are bundled with the board)."
So no you can't run a monitor from that port.

You'll need to plug the 2nd monitor into the gpu. How it affects performance depends on what you are doing on it.

@boju there are no cpus with an igpu on the X99 platform.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Went through manual and had to do a search because the manual was vague on the function relating to DP and USBc.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7680/gigabyte-x99p-sli-intel-x99-motherboard-review/amp.html

Explains DP as being an input. It's function to me isn't very clear, what the purpose is running the graphics card through DP and where USBc comes in. Another thing i didn't know is x99 CPUs don't have integrated graphics. Explains why there are no settings in the Bios nor mention of it in manual that i could see.

bignastyid

Titan
Went through manual and had to do a search because the manual was vague on the function relating to DP and USBc.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7680/gigabyte-x99p-sli-intel-x99-motherboard-review/amp.html

Explains DP as being an input. It's function to me isn't very clear, what the purpose is running the graphics card through DP and where USBc comes in. Another thing i didn't know is x99 CPUs don't have integrated graphics. Explains why there are no settings in the Bios nor mention of it in manual that i could see.
Displayport + USB C = Thunderbolt 3

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So bandwidth is given from the graphics card? What's the point in doing that? Is video passing through into the DP then out USBc port? Sorry i don't understand it's practical use.

Re-read your post. Got it, USBc monitor.

Last edited:

dirtvic

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
ok so this means i need to buy a DisplayPort in to DisplayPort and connect that from motherboard to gpu and will use a usb3c connector for output to vga or hdmi to monitor?

if this is yes then whats the difference between connecting it directly to gpu and like this way, its only because its support 4k and have higher transfer speed when outputting through usb3c

boju

Titan
Ambassador
ok so this means i need to buy a DisplayPort in to DisplayPort and connect that from motherboard to gpu and will use a usb3c connector for output to vga or hdmi to monitor?

No point doing that as you're essentially replacing your GPU's DP in favour for USBc, if you had a monitor with only USBc.

Use one of the other port from your graphics card to connect a second monitor.