[SOLVED] Motherboard EZ DEBUG lights

Jul 12, 2019
Hello,

I recently bought a new case with a glass panel and now I have noticed that when I turn my PC on the EZ DEBUG red lights turn on.
They turn on this in this order: CPU -> VGA -> BOOT. The DRAM LED doesn't turn on at all. The VGA light also stays on longer than the others.
Today when I tried to turn PC on the windows took around 2-3 minutes to boot.
My specs are as follows:
MSI B450M Mortar
Ryzen 2700
2x8GB ram 3200
GTX 1660.
240GB ADATA SSD

Last edited:
Solution
Ok so out of the guide I have pretty much tried everything except - breadboarding, clearing CMON (with the jumper, I did however load optimal settings), and removing the motherboard from the case (I can try this just did not have time to take it all apart).
I have also contacted MSI and they told me that the EZ DEBUG lights turning on in that pattern is normal due to the PSU spec? They said not to worry about it.

Not sure what they mean by that, PSU spec?
Is the slow boot up still persistent?
I would still try resetting the CMOS and breadboarding just to see if it makes any difference. If MSI are stating not to worry, I'd be inclined not to worry, but if you have seen a clear difference in boot up times for example, then...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So you simply swapped cases and now the issue has appeared? Did you have any issues prior to the case change?

If it is as simple as a case change, then I would cover all of these steps first just to make sure nothing obvious is out of place: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

It may also be worth removing parts from the case to check there isn't a short occurring somewhere.
What is your PSU make and model? Sometimes faulty PSUs (especially poor quality ones) can cause similar issues, I'm more doubtful considering all you've done is change the case though.

Jul 12, 2019
I don't know whether the case change caused the issue. My last case was full metal so I couldn't see the LED lights, also booting was fine. I swapped the case out Friday, and only today it started doing it.
I turned the pc on and off for 3-4 times and now booting times are fine, but DRAM led still will not work. Would re-sitting the RAM do anything. I currently have the ram on 2nd and 4th slot.

The PSU is a seasonic 520W Bronze one.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't know whether the case change caused the issue. My last case was full metal so I couldn't see the LED lights, also booting was fine. I swapped the case out Friday, and only today it started doing it.
I turned the pc on and off for 3-4 times and now booting times are fine, but DRAM led still will not work. Would re-sitting the RAM do anything. I currently have the ram on 2nd and 4th slot.

The PSU is a seasonic 520W Bronze one.
If so, cover each and every step of the guide above, as this will cover all of the most common issues and steps to take. Including RAM positioning.

How long have you had the PSU? Also what exact model is it?

Jul 12, 2019
The PSU is a Seasonic M12II-850 Bronze EVO which I've had for quite some time now. (2-3 years)
I tried ram slot 1 and 3 but pc will not boot. EZ DEBUG LED stays stuck on the CPU light.
Will follow the guide you posted and come back with updates.

/EDIT
In the guide it says to check standoffs. My motherboard is connected with 8 standoffs, one of which doesn't have a screw in. The standoff came with the case and it doesn't have a hole for a screw? Should I have replaced it with a normal standoff?
Also, my RGB lights are being weird, changing from their normal profile to random colours. Is that software's fault or could it be related? They also take long to start after system boots.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
In the guide it says to check standoffs. My motherboard is connected with 8 standoffs, one of which doesn't have a screw in. The standoff came with the case and it doesn't have a hole for a screw? Should I have replaced it with a normal standoff?
Not quite sure exactly what you are suggesting is in it's place, if it isn't on regular standoffs, then it's probably best to rectify it as to prevent any possible shorts.

Have you covered everything else in the guide?

Jul 12, 2019
Ok so out of the guide I have pretty much tried everything except - breadboarding, clearing CMON (with the jumper, I did however load optimal settings), and removing the motherboard from the case (I can try this just did not have time to take it all apart).
I have also contacted MSI and they told me that the EZ DEBUG lights turning on in that pattern is normal due to the PSU spec? They said not to worry about it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Is the slow boot up still persistent?
I would still try resetting the CMOS and breadboarding just to see if it makes any difference. If MSI are stating not to worry, I'd be inclined not to worry, but if you have seen a clear difference in boot up times for example, then something has changed.

Solution