[SOLVED] motherboard for r5-5600x overclock

Rajahspice

Reputable
Apr 26, 2020
So i am planning to upgrade my old i5-4460 to r5-5600x. (GPU rtx 2060)

I want to buy cheap microATX or miniITX motherboard in the range of 80-130$. I would be very grateful if you could give me an advice
As i know also there should be proper cooling since processor hits higher temperatures with OC. This processor comes with stock fan, do i need addtional ventilation in OC mode?

Last edited:
Solution

I want to buy cheap microATX or miniITX motherboard in the range of 80-130$. I would be very grateful if you could give me an advice
As i know also there should be proper cooling since processor hits higher temperatures with OC. This processor comes with stock fan, do i need addtional ventilation in OC mode?

mATX: MsI B550m Mortar is probably the best choice if you can find it at your budget, but ASUS TUF B550m-plus is also very good. Both are available with or without WiFi. Other choices include Asrock B450m Pro 4 and MSI B450m Bazooka. But really, any B550 mATX should handle a 5600X even overclocked.

You'll DEFINITELY need an upgraded CPU...

mATX: MsI B550m Mortar is probably the best choice if you can find it at your budget, but ASUS TUF B550m-plus is also very good. Both are available with or without WiFi. Other choices include Asrock B450m Pro 4 and MSI B450m Bazooka. But really, any B550 mATX should handle a 5600X even overclocked.

You'll DEFINITELY need an upgraded CPU cooler....you'll doubtless want one even if you don't OC. Also make sure whatever case you choose has good-superior ventilation if you want whisper-quiet performance, especially important if choosing an air cooler.

Just about any B550 m-ITX board would be good for a 5600X, even overclocked, as they tend to feature ultra-efficient DrMOS smart power stages to keep heat output down for mounting a 16-core 5950X. But they come at a premium as the more efficient DrMOS power stages aren't cheap so the $130 budget is probably too low. Also remember mITX cases generally have very limited ventilation and often don't allow installation of a tower cooler.

Last edited:
Solution
How well you can overclock a chip is determined by the quality of the chip primarily.
AMD bins chips.
If a 5600X was capable of higher speeds it would be sold as a 5800X and fetch a higher price.
It is such a good chip that there is hardly a value in trying to overclock.
Let the turbo mechanism do it's thing and spend your money elsewhere.

If you want to overclock, just for the halibut, buy a top end motherboard, not a cheap one.
Buy a good case with good airflow as well as a top end cpu cooler.
You could get lucky and score a golden chip, but I would not count on it.

By the time you are done, it would have been better to buy a 5800x in the first place.

If a 5600X was capable of higher speeds it would be sold as a 5800X and fetch a higher price.
Don't they down-bin the chiplet because one or two core's aren't good enough? I have to think we'd see 5700X's if they were pumping out large numbers of good 8 core chiplets with the only problem they can't hit 5800X clocks at low voltage.

I think it's most likely home if it could reliably clock higher at lower voltage would be a 5900X. But they bin these things out to so many SKU's who knows.

Otherwise: yeah, these things have so very little conventional overclocking headroom it is pointless. Best thing is get really good cooling and enable PBO which makes it run a lot hotter as it wants to hold higher clocks. That makes really good cooling even more important so it can.

Last edited:

Rajahspice

Reputable
Apr 26, 2020
Thank you for replies.
So i ordered:
processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
moboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
mem: HyperX DDR-4-3333 (Kit of 2x16gb)
Gonna check what will happen with processor's temp with only stock cooler. Hope ill be able to stay with it =)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gonna check what will happen with processor's temp with only stock cooler. Hope ill be able to stay with it =)
If the chassis you have does not have a side intake over the cooler, the odds of you replacing the stock cooler go up.
Downdraft coolers are more effective with side intake and rear + top exhaust. If you're part of the side tempered glass trend, then the stock cooler cools off the gpu's exhaust instead.

It will work and even keep temps in a reasonable range if you let it spin fast enough. But Ryzen's ability to hold clocks under load is so temperature dependent performance won't be the best. It just lowers clocks back to base clock speed (3.7G) under load, all the stock cooler really needs be capable of, and maybe even lower if case ventilation doesn't bring it enough cool air.

Don't try to overclock on it, old-school fixed overclocking especially simply won't work even with fan screaming loud. PBO will just make it really hot for no performance increase.

Last edited:
Thank you for replies.
So i ordered:
processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
moboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
mem: HyperX DDR-4-3333 (Kit of 2x16gb)

The only thing I would do differently is buy some 3600 memory with tight timings. You can always overclock the HyperX DDR-4-3333 to improve it's performance, but you'll definitely want to feed the 5600x with at least 3600mhz ram to keep the IF speed as high as possible.

Rajahspice

Reputable
Apr 26, 2020
Running my system with stock cooler (also bought new case with some additional ventilation).
Since i mainly play CS, temperature was ranging from 69 to 75.
In WoW it was reaching 80 C max. I can agree that its probably senseless to PBO with stock cooler (also i have RTX 2060 only, so it will definitely bottleneck)
I'll just deal with these 600-800 csgo fps (2k res) :d
P.S. with gpu overclock getting above 100 fps in WoW (also 2k res)