[SOLVED] Motherboard fried for the third time, how?

Sep 23, 2020
Hi everyone!

I hope you can help with the following. The motherboard of my HP Pavilion 15 -cs0150nd just broke down for the third time. HP has already replaced it twice. I ve noticed that my couch can give you quite a static charge and I think each time the laptop broke was when I left the couch with it and plugged it in, thereby touching the aluminium screencasing. Only the last time I didnt plug it in, just put it on the table, altough there is alwasus an internetcable plugged in. Is this static discharge the cause (I didn't feel any) and if so is it normal laptops get fried so easily? Or might there be another cause, useful to know since I dont want my laptops to keep breaking in the future.

Thanks!

Henk Ola

Solution
I think that HP keeps messing the repair up. If they are taking apart the PSU (Which you should NEVER attempt) Thats not good. Just taking the top off of it can mess something up REAL BAD and fry a system in less than 2 seconds. All it takes is a POP and its done. Honestly i think you should take the hard drive out of it and go get a new computer. Its only a matter of time before it fries itself again. I recommend Dell computers. Not only are they made out of metal. Unlike HP with their cheap plastic cases. They are also easier to work on and easier to upgrade.
Sep 23, 2020
You said it was fixed 3 times. Is it so that it then - for all 3 times - was working perfectly until you made a esd discharge on some part - cat5 cable or other part ?

I did not feel an esd discharge anytime my laptop broke, just a suspicion after the third time it broke, knowing it is not unusual to feel a discharge when getting of the couch and touching something grounded.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
That static is fine I think HP is pulling a fast one and not replacing the unit but keeps repairing it and it keeps faulting out. I would not buy HP again and go with Dell next time.☮🤷‍♀️💯🎗

Aug 22, 2020
I think that HP keeps messing the repair up. If they are taking apart the PSU (Which you should NEVER attempt) Thats not good. Just taking the top off of it can mess something up REAL BAD and fry a system in less than 2 seconds. All it takes is a POP and its done. Honestly i think you should take the hard drive out of it and go get a new computer. Its only a matter of time before it fries itself again. I recommend Dell computers. Not only are they made out of metal. Unlike HP with their cheap plastic cases. They are also easier to work on and easier to upgrade.

Solution
Aug 22, 2020
Alright thanks for your responses, wont get rid of the couch for now. HP did promise a new laptop which I'll sell for a better replacement indeed.
Smart idea. Or you could build your own pc but i only recommend doing that unless you know what the hell your doing. And know enough about electricity not to fry the damn thing.