[SOLVED] Motherboard has no display connector (but GPU does)? (Old PC)

240hz

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Hello, I need some help of those who have experience with older systems. I got a desktop PC from a guy who was selling it for 5€, I didn’t know what I’d find in there but I got it anyways, and to my surprise, it had a lot of components and some are over 20€. But there is an issue: I want to flip this PC and sell it all at once after I fix some stuff, but the motherboard only comes with these connectors: Mouse/Keyboard, Serial port, Parallel port, an audio connector and that’s it. Obviously I want to be able to see what’s going on using a display, but I can’t find anything I could use to make it work. I looked up on google and all the information I got was that those ports were used for printers and for several types of machines, but no displays mentioned. I must add that the PC has a graphics card with VGA and DVI, but wouldn’t I need to install its drivers on a drive for it to work properly?

Solution
What about older Windows? I feel like you’re right but maybe some people still prefer Windows, specially older people, because they might be familiarized with it and don’t look for better hardware either because they don’t need it. If I install Windows I won’t activate it either way.
Previous version of Windows would incur another $100 on the buyer, to get their own license.
Again, more than that system is worth.

And "an older person" won't want to go through all that.

And Windows previous to Win10 has a 30 day time limit after install. Activate it with a valid license, or it fails.

And even Win7 will be marginal in that system. Again, 2GB RAM...
You'd have to go back to Vista or XP.
Hello, I need some help of those who have experience with older systems. I got a desktop PC from a guy who was selling it for 5€, I didn’t know what I’d find in there but I got it anyways, and to my surprise, it had a lot of components and some are over 20€. But there is an issue: I want to flip this PC and sell it all at once after I fix some stuff, but the motherboard only comes with these connectors: Mouse/Keyboard, Serial port, Parallel port, an audio connector and that’s it. Obviously I want to be able to see what’s going on using a display, but I can’t find anything I could use to make it work. I looked up on google and all the information I got was that those ports were used for printers and for several types of machines, but no displays mentioned. I must add that the PC has a graphics card with VGA and DVI, but wouldn’t I need to install its drivers on a drive for it to work properly?
If you are installing Windows...Windows should install the basic driver to make it work and display something on your screen.

240hz

Reputable
May 25, 2017
So, after dissassembling and cleaning everything I got the parts list:
GPU: Asus Eax 1600 pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
MOBO: Asus P5LD2 SE
RAM: 2GB
HDD: Doesn’t have

I also asked a friend of mine and told me that there are CDs that have a small version of an OS in them and I could use that without having a drive. I will add one though, 250GB HDD.

240hz

Reputable
May 25, 2017

USAFRet

Titan
Wow. Will definitely take a look at that when I get home. Didn’t know it was this “simple”... Although I was looking to install Windows since that might attract more buyers, but I guess that if you use a USB, its OS is just temporary right?
On that system, Win 10 will be sloooooow.
Unacceptably slow. 2GB RAM and that CPU does not bode well.

If you're looking to sell it, install Linux on it and leave it.

And a Windows license will be around $100. Which is more than that system is probably worth.
Anyone that wants that hardware won't care what OS you have installed on it, and can source their own Windows if needed.

240hz

Reputable
May 25, 2017
On that system, Win 10 will be sloooooow.
Unacceptably slow. 2GB RAM and that CPU does not bode well.

If you're looking to sell it, install Linux on it and leave it.

And a Windows license will be around $100. Which is more than that system is probably worth.
Anyone that wants that hardware won't care what OS you have installed on it, and can source their own Windows if needed.
What about older Windows? I feel like you’re right but maybe some people still prefer Windows, specially older people, because they might be familiarized with it and don’t look for better hardware either because they don’t need it. If I install Windows I won’t activate it either way.

USAFRet

Titan
Previous version of Windows would incur another $100 on the buyer, to get their own license.

And Windows previous to Win10 has a 30 day time limit after install. Activate it with a valid license, or it fails.

Solution

240hz

Reputable
May 25, 2017

Okay, thank you! I’ll install Linux then. I’ll reply to this thread again when I have news about the system.

240hz

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Guys sorry for the late response but I was able to get an image from the graphics card vga port! I don’t know why it didn’t work the first time. But after I used a live cd it detected and allowed the vga port to be used afterwards for some reason (I was probably doing it wrong at first). And even without a drive. Thank you everyone!

Guys sorry for the late response but I was able to get an image from the graphics card vga port! I don’t know why it didn’t work the first time. But after I used a live cd it detected and allowed the vga port to be used afterwards for some reason (I was probably doing it wrong at first). And even without a drive. Thank you everyone!
If you faced the same issue I did, then maybe because you choose a distro with XFCE desktop. Like I mentioned in my last reply.

Reactions: 240hz