Dec 29, 2021
So a few weeks ago I randomly got a blue screen, checked the mini dumps it said "memory corruption one bit". I changed all the RAM slots, one at a time and figured out one had died( I now run with 12gb). After fixing that the PC was fine (one beep on startup). I didn't turn in on for a few days then yesterday I turned it on, noticed there were no beeps no startup but the PC worked fine. Everything else booted. At this point I was searching for an answer but couldnt get a specific one for my situation. Should I be checking the BIOS, cable connectivity or the CMOS battery or something else? Although, I pretty sure my motherboard is slowly dying, just wanna make sure Im not missing something. Also, I have checked the beep codes for my motherboard (gigabyte gaz97hd3 ), but found nothing for no beeps. Any advice on what to do?

Solution
If this is a Z97-HD3, which was a solid entry level board for Haswell but is now 7 years old, then it's very likely that is exactly what is happening especially if this system has seen a lot of hard or continuous use such as for gaming, folding or even just very frequent continuous normal usage.

Memory errors reported by Windows are often not actually memory related or at least not specifically the fault of the memory itself. They CAN be, but often they are the fault of poor software memory management, other hardware issues like motherboard or CPU or even a weak power supply.

What are your FULL hardware specifications including EXACT power supply model, how long that power supply has been in service and any other useful information...
If this is a Z97-HD3, which was a solid entry level board for Haswell but is now 7 years old, then it's very likely that is exactly what is happening especially if this system has seen a lot of hard or continuous use such as for gaming, folding or even just very frequent continuous normal usage.

Memory errors reported by Windows are often not actually memory related or at least not specifically the fault of the memory itself. They CAN be, but often they are the fault of poor software memory management, other hardware issues like motherboard or CPU or even a weak power supply.

What are your FULL hardware specifications including EXACT power supply model, how long that power supply has been in service and any other useful information you can offer?

Given the age of the motherboard, replacing the CMOS battery with a new one might be a really good place to start, as it's definitely at the age where that could be an issue.

Solution
Dec 29, 2021

What are your FULL hardware specifications including EXACT power supply model, how long that power supply has been in service and any other useful information you can offer?

Given the age of the motherboard, replacing the CMOS battery with a new one might be a really good place to start, as it's definitely at the age where that could be an issue.

Power supply: Thermaltake smart SE 630W 87% efficiency
Motherboard: gigabyte gaz97hd3
CPU: intel i5 4690k
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 360
RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury 3x4gb
Monitor: DELL S2421H
HDD: WD 500gb
SDD: Kingston 256gb

Im unsure how long the power supply has been in service but i could say that it is definitelly not recent,
maybe even similar to the motherboard but a few years for sure.I can add that a few hours ago i turned the pc
on and everything was fine (single startup beep). At this point its really playing games with me.

The biggest problem is really getting a new motherboard if the issue is really in that. My CPU requires
ddr3 which are no longer manufactured and a certain chipset as well as a socket and i can simply not find the kind
of motherboard that would be compatible. Id have to change my CPU as well as all of my RAM, and that really is a big expense.
Id rather try anything else, try to somehow fix it,just so i can hopefully avoid that option.
However i do realize, like you said, that the death of my motherboard due to usage for so long is inevitable.

I could also mention that while i was playing a video game ( at which i reach most temps, cpu 50/60max and gpu 70max), the time I booted it and got no beep is when i got error messages in the game itself saying "steamnetworkingsockets lock held for 5.5ms. (performance warning.) servicethread,postconnectionstateupdatefordiagnosticsui this is usually a symptom of a general performance problem such as thread starvation." not sure what that was about but im sure it just got buggy for a second.

I also did a memtest (mdsched) however, when i click restart now and check , the monitor goes black but the light is flicking, and the pc is still working, the fans are spinning but nothing is happening.
I then pushed the power button and it immediately shut down and restarted itself with a single beep. I repeated the process. The same thing happened, nothing on the screen, but this time on restart there were no beeps.

I hope this helped. Thank you so much for your reply!

Okay, could you possibly recommend any particular power supply that would be a good choice?

Again, thank you so much for your reply! 💚

Dec 29, 2021
Thank you for sending both of those threads. They are really helpful. Id like to state that I live in Serbia and am limited to certain brands but there's for sure something good that can be found. The store Id like to look at is Gigatron and lets say max price range is about 120€ . When I get the time I'll look for something based on the threads above. I dont want you guys to waste your time looking for a recommendation. Its okay. Thank you so much for helping me with this. Have a nice day and a Happy New Year!

TRENDING THREADS