Question Motherboard Lacking: How to ADD internal USB 3.0 Ports

Jan 30, 2019
Hello again! I unfortunately suffer from lack of USB ports on my motherboard, internally.

It is a Gigabyte z390 designare.
I dont even have enough ports to plug in my front panel USB ports from my case. I wanted to add some RGB fans but will need a USB port for that as well.

How do I add these connections internally? I see some companies offering a HUB, I also see some using a PCIE card with possibly usb ports on them, hard for me to tell. I do not need any more ports out the back of the computer. I feel I have plenty especially once the front case ports work as well. Just need more internal hook ups and want to ensure I have a few (3-4) for anything else I may add later on.

So to shortly ask: What do I need to add internal usb 3.0 ports? (i dont want 2.0 ports)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You'll just need to locate an internal card with the headers on it that you want.

There are also splitters out there.

Just not quite clear what you are wanting to hook up to give a definitive answer. Not really aware of anything that requires USB 3.0 headers to function. Most USB devices will be fine with 2.0, unless you are transferring large amounts of data.

Reactions: threat
Jan 30, 2019
You'll just need to locate an internal card with the headers on it that you want.

There are also splitters out there.

Just not quite clear what you are wanting to hook up to give a definitive answer. Not really aware of anything that requires USB 3.0 headers to function. Most USB devices will be fine with 2.0, unless you are transferring large amounts of data.

the front of the case has usb 3.0 ports so i wanted to keep them as 3.0 and not dumb them down to 2.0 ports. Either way I dont have the spot on the MOBO for them so why get a 2.0 expansion when its 3.0 ports i hope to connect. Just looking for a good 3.0 usb expansion card I guess.

sorry for the confusion on my original post.

Jan 30, 2019
Still not seeing a problem then.

Plug the front panel USB 3.0 in to the motherboard. What ELSE needs 3.0 that you have occupied that header?

Either way: https://www.amazon.com/PCI-Ports-He...-4&keywords=pcie+usb+3.0+card+20+pin+internal

Thank you! I realize now I may just have enough.
My case has a usb c port and 2 usb 3.0 ports on the front panel.
I plan to use rgb fans on the usb 2.0 port.
I believe that is all I need for USB support.

My z390 Designare has:
  • 1 x USB Type-C™ port with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support, available through the internal USB header
  • 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports available through the internal USB header
  • 4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)

So now that I look closer I believe I may end up with one usb 2.0 port left empty. For some reason I was thinking I would need more usb 3.0 ports to connect my front panel.
Im just a big stickler about every port working as intended and wanting the optimal speeds if possible. I do not game, this is all file transfer, editing and storage use so the speeds are big for me. The thunderbolt on this board was the big selling point for me. I appreciate your help greatly! Please let me know if I am missing something here. Sorry I was unable to supply all this info initially as this is my first build and still learning terminology.