Motherboard lights blink once, system doesn't turn on or post

Draconian Frost

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Built a brand new system about a week ago. It worked perfectly fine with the stock cooler, however I decided to install an AIO liquid cooler, and now the system doesn't post or boot.

I have tried removing and replacing the CPU, as well as throughly cleaning everything that could possibly have come in contact with my thermal paste. Also have tried unplugging power cables/other cables going to the mobo, even re-installing the stock cooler for it to be configured virtually exactly like it was when working, but nothing works.

Any suggestions?
It's a Ryzen 5 2600 in a Gigabyte Aorus ultra gaming motherboard, with a rx580 gpu, 2x 8gb team tforce delta 3000mhz ram.

Edit: the cooler I was installing was a thermaltake floe ring 360 premium, which comes with a separate controller for the fans.

Draconian Frost

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Update:
Pulled everything out of the case, set the motherboard on a cardboard box, only things plugged in are mobo and cpu power cables, cpu fan, and mobo speaker.
Still getting the same issue, and speaker isn't making any beeps (system shuts down almost instantly)

Draconian Frost

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

Have tested PSU with the clip and it turns on just fine. Unfortunately don't have a different cables, but it's a fully modular PSU so I could try grabbing some from the store.
It might be the cpu but, what could have caused it to go bad? It was working perfectly before I swapped the cooler, doubt that I over tightened it...

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
It's hard to say. maybe when you removed the cooler it came off the seat some and bent a pin. Maybe a power surge. But again, this is all hypothetical. Try to get a CPU cable and see what happens. Also, if the motherboard isn't beeping or anything you should probably RMA that too, just to be safe.

Draconian Frost

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

I've actually already removed the CPU and checked all the pins, everything looked good.

Going to get a mobo and PSU cables right now, before frys closes, and maybe another mobo just to test.

The only thing I can think of is some arctic silver got where it shouldn't and shorted the cpu/socket/moBo

Thank you Kashimi!

Draconian Frost

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Frys ended up not having the mobo, despite being listed as in stock.

Tried the $25.99 each sleeved cables from them, same exact issue. Guess I'll be buying a new motherboard to test with tomorrow :shrug:

Draconian Frost

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
It's still under warranty, but it's also under the 30 day return policy, so exchanging one in-store would get me a functioning rig sooner. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Thank you!

Draconian Frost

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Ah, dang, that sucks. It was just pictures of the CPU pins and the mobo socket.

Also, exchanged the mobo this morning at frys and it posts! Detect's RAM and VGA, and would probably output to a display, but I don't have a cooler hooked up so didn't leave it on that long. Will put it all together and let you know how it goes, but first impressions are good!

Also, probably won't be using AS5 anymore, know of a good thermal compound that is non-conductive?

Draconian Frost

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Ok, system is up and running! Everything so far looks normal, and I definitely learned my lesson with conductive thermal compounds. Thank you for the link to the thread and your help Kashimi! I'll post some pics on prntscrn of the finished build, it looKS pretty epic :D

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015

My favorite paste is Arctic Silver, but tests have revealed that the better paste is Coolermaster MasterGel Maker Nano. Next time I order paste I'm going to try this stuff out because it's supposedly a way superior product.

Also, I'm glad everything is working out well for you. Definitely glad I could help.

Draconian Frost

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Another interesting thing, no idea how to explain this:

After booting and updating bios and everything else you do, I went into task manager and saw that I only had 8gb of memory, with 8gb "hardware reserved" and running at 2400mhz no matter what I checked with, despite xmp being turned on. I also couldn't get windows to say there was 16gb of memory, even though it detected it in bios and in windows just fine. I finally just decided to try switching the sticks with each other before resetting cmos, and it booted up just fine (before it would go into a weird post/boot loop a couple times before booting in), and Windows showed all 16gb of ram running at 3000mhz...

No clue how ram stick positions matter, but I guess that's a thing...

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
It honestly sounds like either the RAM stick is going bad, was not properly inserted, or was in the wrong port (if you have 4 lanes and 2 sticks and put them in the wrong lanes for your motherboards specs)

http://ram.userbenchmark.com/Software

Run this and see what you get. Also run the Windows Memory Diagnostic.

Since your system is still new and under the return window, you want to do all these diagnostics now rather than outside of that window and be stuck with faulty parts.

Aug 21, 2019
Are you breadboarding your system to get it to POST? That actually sounds like all you need to do is hook up the power switch from you computer case and turn the system on.