Question Motherboard lights won't turn on.

Nov 5, 2023
I'm in the process of building a PC. The C drive wouldn't register so I powered the PC down and check all of the connections but when I tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't do anything. I checked that the ram was seated correctly. The battery on the motherboard expires in 2032. When unplugging everything from the motherboard and hooking them up to a 24 pin jumper, things do work so I think it has something to do with the motherboard. I tried it both with and without the C drive plugged in. None of the motherboard lights are on when it's plugged in other than the power button, which does nothing when pressed.

10900 Intel CPU
MSI Unify Z490
Meg AI1300p
MSI Trio 3090 with a Corsair water block

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C71v2.1.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct User Guide/Manual.]

Read and review the entire manual first.

Then go back and begin double checking everything step by step looking for possible errors of omission or commission.

For example, RAM. The document states, physically numbered Page 29, that the first installed RAM module be placed in DIMM2.

Was that done?

= = = =

That said, try carefully seating and unseating or plugging and unplugging all cards and cables. Likewise for RAM and jumpers.

No one wants to force anything especially with a new build. So what may feel tight and in place may truly not be.

Seating an unseating may loosen things up and something will suddenly just feel smoother and more solid as it goes into place.

And if the power button is "does nothing" check the front panel connections per Page 35. Those connectors are easily mixed up and/or improperly connected.

Also pay attention to the LEDs/motherboard lights: what is lit and is not lit can may be a clue.

Just take your time, be methodical, and keep notes.

Nov 5, 2023
Thanks. That's the correct motherboard. I will try slotting just into DIMM2 and see if that helps.

Nov 5, 2023
Thanks. That's the correct motherboard. I will try slotting just into DIMM2 and see if that helps.
No dice. :/ I have tried the connection, yes the ram is in the correct slot. I attempted turning the pc on with the power button on the motherboard

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
I'm in the process of building a PC. The C drive wouldn't register so I powered the PC down and check all of the connections but when I tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't do anything. I checked that the ram was seated correctly. The battery on the motherboard expires in 2032. When unplugging everything from the motherboard and hooking them up to a 24 pin jumper, things do work so I think it has something to do with the motherboard. I tried it both with and without the C drive plugged in. None of the motherboard lights are on when it's plugged in other than the power button, which does nothing when pressed.

10900 Intel CPU
MSI Unify Z490
Meg AI1300p
MSI Trio 3090 with a Corsair water block
Do you have anything coming on at all? CPU fan, PSU fan?

Nov 5, 2023
When directly connected, the power supply will run everything just fine; the coolant circulates, the fans run, the lights come on. It's only when I plug it into the motherboard that nothing works.

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
Hello. I am writing from Italy. I have the same problem: new build. First it looked like I had the wrong CPU so I swapped it for a better one but still I get only the power light on. Nothing else works. I tried tyhe PSU by itself and it works but not when it is connected to the various sockets.
Mobo: Asus Prime B365M-K
CPU: i5 8500
It looks to me like their is a shortcircuit and no current is getting to the mobo.