Question Motherboard memory speed compatibility - AM5 DDR5

RikkIV

Honorable
Oct 20, 2016
Hello,

How do I know which motherboard will work with high memory XMP speeds (7000+)?

Official support for max CPU memory speed are always very low.

Let's say the mobo specs say: Support for DDR5 6666(OC) - can you go beyond this? I don't see any mbs supporting DDR5 7000+.... so which ones would (AM5)?
E.g. mobo : X670 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.0)

Lutfij

Titan
Going through the QVL list and seeing what their maximum speed kits dropped into the board is. For the sake of relevance, going through the memory QVL for the X670 Aorus Elite AX(rev1.0). Just an FYI, if you're chasing behind a record, then you're best left looking at cream of the crop style boards but real world applications for DDR5-7000MHz is slim to none but they will cost more than two arms and two legs.

Last edited:
Hello,

How do I know which motherboard will work with high memory XMP speeds (7000+)?
If the motherboard manufacturer does not included 7000+ official support, then you will have to manually test it yourself or find someone that already tested it.

Official support for max CPU memory speed are always very low.
DDR5 6666 is in no way, shape of form "very slow".
You won't see any difference between 6666 and 7000, unless you are trying to break synthetic speed records.

Let's say the mobo specs say: Support for DDR5 6666(OC) - can you go beyond this? I don't see any mbs supporting DDR5 7000+.... so which ones would (AM5)?
Yes, it could be done, by manually configuring RAM speed settings (timing, voltage, etc) in the BIOS.

RikkIV

Honorable
Oct 20, 2016
Thanks for the input guys.

For memory, the price doesn't seem that different for 7000+ only about 100 bucks more. I guess some C32 6400 will do just fine as I am not interested in synthetics.

If the motherboard manufacturer does not included 7000+ official support, then you will have to manually test it yourself or find someone that already tested it.
Seems like niche market if its that way. Good to know there is a possibility it could work.

DDR5 6666 is in no way, shape of form "very slow".
You won't see any difference between 6666 and 7000, unless you are trying to break synthetic speed records.
I thought maybe RAM speeds would have a little more impact for the new Ryzen 9 7000X3D CPUs coming up (eventhough AMD said 6000 is the sweetspot). I am only thinking 6500-7200 RAM in terms of future proofing. Currently I am still rocking DDR4 3200 C16 (10 years old 😯 ) so I would like to go long for this upgrade as I don't see any major RAM innovation coming any time soon for consumers.

I thought maybe RAM speeds would have a little more impact for the new Ryzen 9 7000X3D CPUs coming up (eventhough AMD said 6000 is the sweetspot).
If the CPU sweet spot is 6000MHz RAM, in the future that CPU sweet spot won't change much.
In my opinion RAM should be the least of you worries and you might already know that since you said "Currently I am still rocking DDR4 3200 C16"
I would be more concerned with the quality of the PSU, motherboard and GPU.