Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxSamuel

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to this so sorry if the question has been asked/answered elsewhere. This is my first build from scratch and my components are:

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5
GPU - MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
CPU - Intel Core i7 4770
PSU - Corsair RM850x 850W ATX 80 PLUS

Basically the motherboard isn't picking up the GPU on boot and is using the onboard graphics. I have tried all of the pcie slots, updated all of the drivers and even selected PEG in the BIOS settings. There is sufficient power to the GPU supplied by both 8 pin and 6 pin cables.

I'm fast running out of ideas and have no idea why it won't sync, is there something I'm missing here?!

Thanks in advance,
Max

Solution
What's up. Ok just wanted to make sure. So plugged into graphics card but still using onboard graphics. Do you have the Nvidia control panel available when you right click on the desktop? If not, go to Nvidia's website and download drivers from their site. Is the card detected in device manager? If you have downloaded drivers from the site. And verifies card detected in device manager. Disable onboard graphics in device manager and reboot and see if that helps. You could have a driver conflict. Also be sure to disable onboard graphics in the BIOS if possible. Unless you want to use it instead of your card for multi monitor support. Also some BIOS have an option to display PCIe first, if you have that option, enable it too.

MaxSamuel

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Yes the monitor is plugged into the graphics card and powers up ok

InfoSponge16

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
What's up. Ok just wanted to make sure. So plugged into graphics card but still using onboard graphics. Do you have the Nvidia control panel available when you right click on the desktop? If not, go to Nvidia's website and download drivers from their site. Is the card detected in device manager? If you have downloaded drivers from the site. And verifies card detected in device manager. Disable onboard graphics in device manager and reboot and see if that helps. You could have a driver conflict. Also be sure to disable onboard graphics in the BIOS if possible. Unless you want to use it instead of your card for multi monitor support. Also some BIOS have an option to display PCIe first, if you have that option, enable it too.

Solution

MaxSamuel

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Seems to have worked, thanks so much for your help!

InfoSponge16

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Redox6022

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
Thanks a ton for the advice, I was pulling my hair out trying to install a Gigabyte GTX 670 I got from ebay. The pc would post but no video. Tried installing both my old and new gpu to boot but Win 7 didn't recognize the 670 in device manager. Disabled quick boot in the bios, put new card in, and bam!, worked perfectly.

I have ancient hardware so probably my mobo couldn't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS