Motherboard only works outside case, can't find the short in the case

Status
Not open for further replies.

oharabyko

Commendable
Nov 29, 2018
Computer won't post inside the case but outside it will actually boot up and go to windows. Obviously this is a seating issue and the case is short circuiting it. I have standoffs placed and have alternated from putting them all in that I can to only putting a few in. Also note there are no standoffs where there is are no motherboard holes.

Motherboard is a gigabyte ga-ab350 gaming and case is a fractal design atx.

Here is a picture

http://

The middle far right there is no spot for standoff but I have standoffs in every other place other than the far left.

Any suggestions would help, thanks.

richpixel

Prominent
Jan 3, 2019
It certainly is odd, as if there was a standoff where there shouldn't be it would blow the board.

Are you using onboard video or dedicated card, if dedi card, have you tried onboard, when trying dedi, don't screw it to case.

oharabyko

Commendable
Nov 29, 2018
I'm using a dedicated gtx 1050, I've screwed it and not screwed it to the case with the same result. The computer just won't turn on inside the case but outside the case everything will boot up fine and I can even go into windows

oharabyko

Commendable
Nov 29, 2018
Just tried that same result, also checked if switch was fault but manually trying to turn it on with a screw inside using the case power button, no go.

oharabyko

Commendable
Nov 29, 2018
I only had one hard drive plugged in as opposed to the two that I have. Also didn't have any of the case stuff plugged in like power or the USB. Also note that when I try to turn it on inside the case there is only a click but no fan movement.

oharabyko

Commendable
Nov 29, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean one by one, do you mean hard drives? Right now I have it outside the case running with both hard drives and the video card up in windows 10.

oharabyko

Commendable
Nov 29, 2018
Outside the case I can plug anything in and it works completely fine, this is what it looks like right now.

2n16yvm.jpg

oharabyko

Commendable
Nov 29, 2018
Omfg I finally figured it out after 8 hours it was the back plate at the back of box for the ports, I removed it and now its working which is kind of stupid because my previous motherboard had no problem with it in that spot. Thank for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.