Question Motherboard PWR Light is on but PC refuses to turn on ?

Thisisnotharry

Reputable
Apr 17, 2020
Hi all,

Yesterday I received a "new" (used) motherboard for my home server (based on 4th gen intel, as doesn't need to be high-end). The specs are as follows:

- i5-4670
- ASUS B85M-E Motherboard (previously had MSI H81M-P33)
- 16GB 1600MHz HYPERX Fury
- 120GB Samsung SSD 2.5"
- 500GB Seagate HDD 3.5"
- PCIE x16 --> MSATA/NVME M.2/SATA M.2 adapter
- PCIE x1 --> x2 SATA Controller
- Generic 500W PSU from a 2019 Acer Nitro prebuilt

Since upgrading to the B85M-E, booting has been a major issue. During the installation of the parts, I occasionally tested the board to make sure it booted and sure enough, it did. Then, towards the end of yesterday it refused to boot at all. (by this, I mean the motherboard power light is on, but pushing the power button does nothing. Shorting the power switch pins on the board with a screwdriver also does not work when it's in this state.

Today, I completely disassembled it and rebuilt it from scratch, making sure to ensure it boots after I did anything (insert screws, plug devices in, etc) to rule out any major problems. It worked fine, I managed to change some BIOS settings as well as install Proxmox. Then, I turned it off to install the SATA power and data cables into the HDD, but after doing this it did not turn on. It still does not turn on now, even with those cables disconnected, and with the HDD out of the case.

I believe this is either a motherboard or PSU issue. I've got a cheap temporary PSU on the way tomorrow to determine whether that is the issue (I know cheap power supplies aren't generally a good idea, but it's only for a quick test, if the PSU is the culprit I will still return the cheap unit and invest in something more reliable)

It's worth pointing out that I also ordered another motherboard around a week ago - Intel DQ87PG - and I had this identical issue, but it never turned on ONCE at all. In the end I returned it back to the company for a refund and bought this ASUS board as a replacement for that.

If it's a PSU issue, I don't quite understand how when I put my old MSI H81M-P33 back in, everything works as expected, but with these two upgraded boards it doesn't like it at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this seems very bizarre.

To clarify what I mean by "not turning on" - Shorting the pins/pushing the power button on the case does nothing, the fans do not spin, the indicator lights on the PCIE cards don't turn on, nothing happens.

Thisisnotharry

Reputable
Apr 17, 2020
Did some more testing with a spare PSU to make sure it wasn't some odd PSU issue, and nothing. In the end I returned the board for a refund.