[SOLVED] Motherboard Resistor fell off when putting it on chassis.

Aug 12, 2022
I'm building my first high end pc with Asus ROG Crosshair Dark Hero 8 as mobo and chassis as Lian Li O11D Evo.
When I was putting my mobo on the chassis, I ensured it's laying down so to secure nothing will be mess up. Everything went smooth and was able to screw it on. However when I put the chassis up, something fell off which looks like one resistor in mobo.
As a newbie in building pc, I've been very careful and slow in putting the mobo. I'm unsure what to do on this? It looks like one of the resistor on the Upper-middle of the mobo near the hole to screw.
Can I still bring this to local store for warranty? Or, do I need to solder it myself?
Truthfully, no idea how it if fell off.

It's around here, what does it affect in case? Dunno how bad it was.

Solution
Much better picture. Judging by position only this component probably belongs to one of VRM. Meaning - don't start the board as is, danger!
Do you have Discord? If yes you can try find someone at Tom's Hardware discord channel that is better at this stuff.
Aug 3, 2022
It is a faulty board. Looking at the picture it is a cold solder joint. Things don't just fall off. Return it for an exchange or refund. I would not tell them something fell off though. Just tell them it failed to post on power up because I'm pretty sure that will happen any way. They may try to blame you for the damage if you tell them a part just fell off. I had a similar situation and the store tried to blame me for the damage.

Aug 12, 2022
It is a faulty board. Looking at the picture it is a cold solder joint. Things don't just fall off. Return it for an exchange or refund. I would not tell them something fell off though. Just tell them it failed to post on power up because I'm pretty sure that will happen any way. They may try to blame you for the damage if you tell them a part just fell off. I had a similar situation and the store tried to blame me for the damage.

Oh no! Already called the service center right away when this happened I just received this board like Aug 8 then the problem happened like Aug 12. Still under its 1 month local warranty although still unsure how it will turn out. Thanks for sharing your experience. I really hope they replace it since I bought it online now had no choice but to go to their physical store.

There are really two possible things happening here.
  1. You struck the board while making the build and that was the reason the part fallen off. This will count as physical damage and negates any form of warranty.
  2. The part was badly soldered and fell off on its own. In this case it is not your fault and you should get replacement.
Now, two things to consider: any experienced engineer can tell the difference between those cases. But it is also true that many shops will try to call physical damage because it is easier for them that way. So, if the shop you bought it from denies warranty and you are absolutely sure you did not damaged it you can try contacting motherboard manufacturer directly. A bit unfortunately for you it is Asus board and they recently are not rated best for customer support.

Aug 12, 2022
There are really two possible things happening here.
  1. You struck the board while making the build and that was the reason the part fallen off. This will count as physical damage and negates any form of warranty.
  2. The part was badly soldered and fell off on its own. In this case it is not your fault and you should get replacement.
Now, two things to consider: any experienced engineer can tell the difference between those cases. But it is also true that many shops will try to call physical damage because it is easier for them that way. So, if the shop you bought it from denies warranty and you are absolutely sure you did not damaged it you can try contacting motherboard manufacturer directly. A bit unfortunately for you it is Asus board and they recently are not rated best for customer support.

Thank you for a detailed response. In worst case scenario that they rejected the warranty. Is the issue in my mobo can still be fixed? Or, can I still use the mobo despite of it? I'm unsure which of the functions it will affect as I'm totally clueless with the mobo parts (that fell off) and its functions. I just don't wanna buy a new mobo in case. Pocket empty. Looking how to salvage the situation.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Is the issue in my mobo can still be fixed?
Probably it can. I'm no expert though, and your pictures are definitely lacking details to even judge how bad the damage is.
Or, can I still use the mobo despite of it?
Very likely no. I would advise against even trying. If the part that fell off was important trying to start the board without it may cause fire or even blow up the board. Unless someone with greater knowledge can come and identify the component and its function.
I'm unsure which of the functions it will affect as I'm totally clueless with the mobo parts (that fell off) and its functions.
Start with taking the high quality high zoom pictures of both the component and the part of the board it was in. (You may very likely need them in case shop refuses warranty anf you want to dispute it). If there are any numbers/codes on the fallen part that you can decipher post them here, it may be all that's needed for someone to fully identify the component.

Reactions: lautcasted
Aug 12, 2022
Probably it can. I'm no expert though, and your pictures are definitely lacking details to even judge how bad the damage is.

Very likely no. I would advise against even trying. If the part that fell off was important trying to start the board without it may cause fire or even blow up the board. Unless someone with greater knowledge can come and identify the component and its function.

Start with taking the high quality high zoom pictures of both the component and the part of the board it was in. (You may very likely need them in case shop refuses warranty anf you want to dispute it). If there are any numbers/codes on the fallen part that you can decipher post them here, it may be all that's needed for someone to fully identify the component.

Thanks for all the advise. Following the recommendations, I'll share the pic of the mobo although the resistor is same as is. Can't zoom it in anymore.

Any expert that could help? This the one that fell off. Please bear with the image as I have no pc and using mobile only.
Below image shows the place the resistor was missing. I'm unsure which part of the mobo it functions or if it can still be fixed assuming that store voided my warranty.

Much better picture. Judging by position only this component probably belongs to one of VRM. Meaning - don't start the board as is, danger!
Do you have Discord? If yes you can try find someone at Tom's Hardware discord channel that is better at this stuff.

Solution
Thanks for all the advise. Following the recommendations, I'll share the pic of the mobo although the resistor is same as is. Can't zoom it in anymore.

Any expert that could help? This the one that fell off. Please bear with the image as I have no pc and using mobile only.
Below image shows the place the resistor was missing. I'm unsure which part of the mobo it functions or if it can still be fixed assuming that store voided my warranty.
It looks more to me like an MLCC...a capacitor...than a resistor. It looks to me like it's in circuitry for one of the CPU's VRM phases. It could be just one of the many caps designers use all over boards for decoupling high frequency electrical noise. But used where it is it could also be important for proper operation of the VRM.

You might be able to get the board replaced under warranty but if you can't it should be an easy part to solder back in place since it appears the end caps are intact.

Aug 12, 2022
It looks more to me like an MLCC...a capacitor...than a resistor. It looks to me like it's in circuitry for one of the CPU's VRM phases. It could be just one of the many caps designers use all over boards for decoupling high frequency electrical noise. But used where it is it could also be important for proper operation of the VRM.

You might be able to get the board replaced under warranty but if you can't it should be an easy part to solder back in place since it appears the end caps are intact.

Thank you for all the help, sincerely appreciate it. I'll try to check warranty and if all else fails, seek help to solder it back. I'll get connected in Discord to seek more advice!

Aug 12, 2022
Just an update, I visited the local store for RMT. They deemed it valid and indeed a factory defect. They replaced it with a new one. Satisfied with their fair judgement! Thanks too to those who helped and contributed in this thread.

Reactions: DRagor