Motherboard tier list: Z97 chipset

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madmeatballs

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
trying to decide between Z97-A and Z97- Pro Gamer? A is in Tier two while Pro Gamer is in 1b but pro gamer is cheaper than Z97-a over here. So what is in the Pro Gamer that makes it tier 1b rather than same tier as z97-A both have 8 ferrite chokes. (I am looking for the better overclock)

The Pro gamer is more closer to Z97 Pro than to Z97 A. It features double the number of digital true power phases (Z97-A has a doubler), 10K caps (vs 5K in Z97-A) and better audio features. It's basically an entry level ROG board. It does overclock very well and since it's cheaper, Z97 Pro Gamer would be my top choice.

The Asus Pro Gamer is better since:

-It has ROG GameFirst II, which is software to help you manage your network, if I understand it correctly

-It has SupremeFX, something you would only find on the 200$+ boards, which has:
- SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
- ELNA premium audio capacitors
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
- Sonic Radar II

-It has 6 audio jacks instead of the Z97-A's five

-It has a few gamer's Guardian features:
- ESD Guards on LAN, Audio, KBMS and USB3.0/2.0 ports
- DRAM Overcurrent Protection
- 10K Black Metallic Capacitors
- Stainless Steel Back I/O
- DIGI+ VRM

The problem with tier lists and price ranking is they don't really line up with performance or price.

11104520883l.jpg

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Well, benchmarks would not be expected to be directly analogous to the rankings. Quality of components and overclocking capability/ease are at least two main factors in the rankings that don't show up in benchmarking.

Take the list for what it is. A very good guide for motherboards, which anyone can couple with other resources (along with your budget) to make an informed decision.

Questions have been asked on different rankings between various boards, and the author has given valuable information and rationale. Thank him for the effort, don't dump on the resource.

While I certainly appreciate the effort and I do look to Sin's listings to see just what is on what boards, I have to agree with Blackbird that it is not something I would reference.... for example look at most PSU tier lists and you will see the entire Corsair HX series at the same tier.... despite the fact that they were made by different OEMs on different platforms and have wildly different scoring in reviews.

Another example is whereby I look to jonnyguru scores for build quality and performance (but more specifically the details) I have no interest in his functionality or value rankings as these change and may be of 0 interest to many folks.

Tier lists have wildly different subjective influences and I would disagree that "Quality of components and overclocking capability/ease are at least two main factors in the rankings that don't show up in benchmarking" as those two items factor heavily in how a MoBo scores in those benchmarks .... higher quality should lead to higher OCs and higher OCs should lead to higher benchmarks.

I respect different opinions and perspectives regarding the list. As mentioned earlier, I had to take some decisions on how to tier the boards, what criteria to take, etc. It's impractical to accommodate all aspects, no list can be perfect. That produces conflicting instances within the list. And it's perfectly fine that this be used as a reference than as a guide, maybe not even that.

I could have made a list with reviews or value/ money (in stricter terms) taken as criteria. I would accept appropriately detailed reviews from TH, TechPowerUp, Anandtech, Tweaktown, overclocker.net, Guru3D, etc. Problem is, even they can produce conflicting views and results. A board may perform superbly in one review and tank in another.

In the same way, prices are dynamic, one board may be a steal deal in one region and a big no-no for the price, in another region. What remains static are the components, ie, the phase design and features like SATA ports, USB port, PCIe ports, etc.

That's what I have used as the basis for this list. Granted, all motherboards may not be the best choice in all scenarios based completely on this list, but it can atleast form a broad basis for classification and segregation.

PolishTom317

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
First, I'd like to say this list is a great way to start searching for mobos... and I'm new here. Second, could use some advice on which board to get at around $200 range. I'm building a new mostly-gaming rig (kinda upgrading since already have R9-290 GPU, 850W PSU, SSD) with an i7-4790K, 16 GB RAM. Would also look to do some OCing in the future and potentially add one more GPU but no more than that.

So I've looked at a lot of boards and can't decide which to get. The ASUS ROG series intrigued me but a bunch of reviews aren't flattering. But here's a list I'd like to pick from:
Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO
Asus Z97-A
Asus Z97-PRO
ASRock Z97-Extreme6
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5

Ya, bit of a long list... just not good at deciding on these kind of things. Any help is appreciated.

PolishTom317

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

In your opinion is the HERO worth the extra $50 over the z97-a?

PolishTom317, If you're after a neat, no frills board with all high end features like M.2, SLI ability and fairly good OCing ability, Z97-A will fit in just right. Z97X Gaming 5 is as good but usually a bit pricier. The next step would be the M7 Hero, for some more OCing tweaks and better overall thermal design. If you can go for the Hero, it'd be a great choice and worth the money spent.

I myself would prefer something more budget-friendly, such as the Z97-A, but you could also take a look at Asus's Z97 Pro Gamer. The Maximus VII Hero (or any high-end ROG board for that matter) isn't the best you can get for price-performance. Sure, it has some things that lets you overclock a bit higher and some lighting, but for me, it's just not worth it.

babychimz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Hi experts, i'm looking to upgrade my current mobo to a z97 with micro-atx one (to OC with i5-4690k). Intending to SLI in the near future. Currently deciding between MSI Z97M Gaming and Asus Z97 Gryphon. The price difference is roughly 35usd more for the gryphon.

If i were able to get a 6-months old gryphon for say 10usd difference (more than a new msi z97m), do you guys think i should go for the used gryphon? Or should i just stick with getting a new msi z97m gaming?

I'm personally inclined to the Asus gryphon cuz it matches my current white/black with a tinge of brown (thanks to Noctua fans -.-) color scheme better tbh. But that's just me being aesthetically concerned.

TIA!

babychimz, Both Z97M Gaming and Z97 Gryphon are great mATX boards, but unless you absolutely have to get the Gryphon for color scheme, I'd settle for the cheaper one since there's isn't any real world features or performance difference. You can't go wrong with either, but $35 USD is a fairly good price premium. And I wouldn't ditch to get a new board for an used one.

Cordrax, glad this list could help :)

babychimz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015

Thanks for the reply MeteorsRaining! Just to make sure i understand correctly, your not advising getting the 6months used board right? And if i'm not too paranoid about the color scheme, just go for the MSI Z97m? :)

Lordgeorge16

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
I see plenty of ATX and mATX boards on this list, but are there plans to start adding Mini-ITX boards at some point for those of us that prefer compact, easy-to-move PC builds for LAN parties and the like?

Status
Not open for further replies.