Motherboard tier list: Z97 chipset

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Major Update:

New sub-tiers have been created in Tier 2, namely Class A and B.

The major reason for the sub tiers is to differentiate between mainstream performance oriented boards, that is, boards with SLI ability and good OCing ability at a 'sweet' price point, from boards which have been in Tier 2 simply because they're SLI capable.

Class B boards aren't any bad, but they're more pressed to bring the SLI ability at an affordable price point than to combine SLI with a very good OCing platform. Class A boards are good for serious OCing as well as x8/x8.

You'd need to look on the board's product page you're considering, GB and ASROCK usually ship with Dual BIOS. BIOS is not a criteria for tiering in this list though.

The VRM list is one of the most important info that has been used for tiering in this list. The main article accredits it as well as other VRM info articles.

Sep 13, 2014
Gigabyte Sniper, Gaming 7, UD3H and up all ship with Dual BIOS. For MSI you need a Gaming 7 and up. Asrock Extreme4 and up have Dual Bios. Gonna check out this new list and the last few posts prove exactly why this list is so important because we all have different needs. Building my first PC I realized dual Bios and solid phase power for overclocking were a must, not a luxury. Also SLI is not important to me whatsoever, but to the next guy it could be a must have.

cloudstrife465

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

WATS brand boards come with and wats the dual bios for

Sep 13, 2014
Dual BIOS allows you to switch to a backup BIOS in the event you happen to brick your main BIOS, which can happen sometimes when you try to update it to a more recent version. It's just a safety net. Some ppl don't value it, but I do. The Asus A doesn't have dual BIOS but I wouldn't let that steer me away. That board is really good and one of the highest rated Z97 boards. You get a good deal then jump on it.

cloudstrife465

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

I'm getting the ar version not the a but cool thing is that I'm saving 40 bucks on the mobo with the CPU purchase

cloudstrife465

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
well looks like i need to go with a cheaper board i cant go with the AR since i gota get the gpu cpu and motherboard and keep it under 700 downgrading the gpu to the 960 can someone help with the motherboard and keep it the price under 130 dollars

Sep 13, 2014
Just checked Houston Mircocenter page and the Asus AR is only 139. If you're overclocking the board I would recommend under 130 is the ASRock Extreme3. Similar to the Extreme4 just stripped down a bit. With the Extreme3 you only get 8 phase power rather than 12, but it has SLI. You should jump on the Asus AR or the ASRock Extreme 4. They are both under 140.

The gaming 7 and UD5H Blk both have 12 phase CPU power design. Both are good at overclocking no problems. If someone came up to me with either board to giveaway I would not turn either down!

cloudstrife465

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

I'm going with the AR with the i5 CPU with the CPU the Asus is only 99

cloudstrife465

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Hi ended up going with the gigabyte z97mx-gaming 5 microcenter here ran out of the ASus boards both a and ar

gigabyte z97mx-gaming is a good board nonetheless.

kingcarlos89, as indicated in the list, you're not likely to obtain any considerably higher OC from any one, compared to other one. Usually the chip maxes out (or the cooling solution) before the Tier 1 boards do.

cloudstrife465

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I bought the gigabyte z97x gaming 7 gtx 970 ftw evga and the i7 4790k well haven't picked up the parts but I ordered it there getting it ready the gigabyte board has everything I was looking for

kingcarlos89

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014

thanks meteor. will see if i can push my 4790k to 4.8.

RLCCM

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Brilliant thread, and excellent list, thank you.

This has really helped me to narrow my search down to just 2 - both Asus (as they seem to have the best reputation for quality), but now I just cant decide:
Z97-AR for $114
Z97 Pro Gamer for $138

I'm seriously stuck between the two - my main criteria is for long term system stability and durability for longevity (I expect to use this build for at least 5-8 years), how much benefit is the Pro Gamers improved VRM and Solid Caps etc for this?
The other main difference from reading all is the sound codec - I was about to buy the pro gamer because of this feature, however, I just found a set of bose companion 5 speakers going cheap, and they utilise their own sound processor via USB, thus leaving the sound card redundant. I will therefore only have very limited sound card use - very occasionally plugging the pc into an AVR cinema system. I'm not a headphone user at the moment for gaming.

I think both boards will likely OC as much as i will need them to - i may OC a bit, but not dramatically.

The rest of the spec will be as follows:
i7 4790k with Coolermaster 412s
16Gb Corsair 2400
Radeon HD7850 (will be upgraded in a year or so)
1440p monitor (may eventually go 4k)
500 GB Samsung 850 Evo
1 TB HDD
Fractal Define R5 case
Most likely a Fractal Tesla 650W PSU (but open to other suggestions).

Many thanks someone please give me a push

Status
Not open for further replies.