Motherboard VRM Heatsink

Emrek127

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
Hello! So i bought a new motherboard and i really wanna overclock, but i am afraid of the VRM that aren't cooled by a heatsink

My motherboard: ASUS Z370 TUF PLUS GAMING

The plus version doesent have a Heatsink on the top vrm but the pro version does?

I have the Plus version, would i be able to overclock my i3 8350k to 5 Ghz without killing the motherboard?

https://www.google.dk/search?q=z370+tuf+gaming+manual&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-iraar_XYAhUGjiwKHYmVAZwQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=759#imgrc=drkWfZqaGxbgSM:

^^^^^^^^^^^

Picture of the motherboard with out the heatsink on top. If you search the pro version you can see that it has a heatsink on the top VRM's

Solution
lighting.png

Is it possible to return the board, add some more to the initail purchase and then get away with the pro version? You could stick some aftermarket VRM heatsinks like these but be careful to choose a set(in the suggestions below) that conform to the same surface area of the VRM. Getting a large heatsink can and will conflict with the capacitor's/chokes around the VRM.

This is why it's best you get a board that comes with the necessary heatsink and aim a fan towards them to cool them off.

Lutfij

Titan
lighting.png

Is it possible to return the board, add some more to the initail purchase and then get away with the pro version? You could stick some aftermarket VRM heatsinks like these but be careful to choose a set(in the suggestions below) that conform to the same surface area of the VRM. Getting a large heatsink can and will conflict with the capacitor's/chokes around the VRM.

This is why it's best you get a board that comes with the necessary heatsink and aim a fan towards them to cool them off.

Solution