[SOLVED] Motherboards for Ryzen 5 3600x

Aug 17, 2019
Hi there,

What motherboard series could i look at that would offer support for the Ryzen 5 3600x without the need to update the bios for it. Preferably on the cheaper side of motherboards. Nothing over £170 ($200)

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Aug 17, 2019
Every motherboard from MSI that end with "MAX" is out of the box compatible with 3000series ryzen and have a bigger rom size for the bios so you wont have a lite version of the bios like the oldest models. B450 Tomahawk MAX is a perfect choice for 3600X.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33t-ms.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX-Socket/dp/B07VB2BG3X/ref=sr_1_15?crid=9WAQWZQQ3NMY&keywords=msi+b450+tomahawk&qid=1564654557&s=gateway&sprefix=msi+b,aps,264&sr=8-15

Hmm that looks pretty good.

This may sound dumb but this motherboard will allow nvidia cards to work in there right?

I've never looked properly at AMD processors til today so sorry if its a dumb question haha

Hmm that looks pretty good.

This may sound dumb but this motherboard will allow nvidia cards to work in there right?

I've never looked properly at AMD processors til today so sorry if its a dumb question haha
Of course. I own the non MAX tomahawk with Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1070 Ti and i have not any problem this is a really good motherboard with decent vrm that run really cool even in my bad case with no airflow.

Aug 17, 2019
Of course. I own the non MAX tomahawk with Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1070 Ti and i have not any problem this is a really good motherboard with decent vrm that run really cool even in my bad case with no airflow.

Awesome,

How was the motherboard? Can you tell me your thoughts on it? Was it easy to install everything in there just like a typical motherboard?

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks a ton!

Awesome,

How was the motherboard? Can you tell me your thoughts on it? Was it easy to install everything in there just like a typical motherboard?

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks a ton!
Yea the installitation was typical like all the motherboards. This motherboard have MSI flashback + feature where you can update the bios without any cpu or ram on the motherboard. Well i had already Ryzen 5 1400 so didn't used the feature. With MAX model you just have to install the cpu and nothing more the motherboard is already with a bios for ryzen 3000. For real get a X570 motherboard if you use the pc for working like editing etc and you need that 5000mb/s read speed m2 ssd's. If you simple game better take this 100 £ motherboard and with the extra 75 £ that the cheapest X570 have get a Ryzen 7 3700X or a better GPU or anything else.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Every motherboard from MSI that end with "MAX" is out of the box compatible with 3000series ryzen and have a bigger rom size for the bios so you wont have a lite version of the bios like the oldest models. B450 Tomahawk MAX is a perfect choice for 3600X.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33t-ms.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX-Socket/dp/B07VB2BG3X/ref=sr_1_15?crid=9WAQWZQQ3NMY&keywords=msi+b450+tomahawk&qid=1564654557&s=gateway&sprefix=msi+b,aps,264&sr=8-15
That does appear to be a good choice.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX

My only caution is that there seem to be quite a few MSI mobo/3rd gen AM4 CPU issues on the site. If you go this route, I would suggest updating to the current BIOS (7C02v31) after you are up and running.

Aug 17, 2019
Yea the installitation was typical like all the motherboards. This motherboard have MSI flashback + feature where you can update the bios without any cpu or ram on the motherboard. Well i had already Ryzen 5 1400 so didn't used the feature. With MAX model you just have to install the cpu and nothing more the motherboard is already with a bios for ryzen 3000. For real get a X570 motherboard if you use the pc for working like editing etc and you need that 5000mb/s read speed m2 ssd's. If you simple game better take this 100 £ motherboard and with the extra 75 £ that the cheapest X570 have get a Ryzen 7 3700X or a better GPU or anything else.

Does the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX support NVMe? It supports M.2 but does it have NVMe speeds on it?

I know the GIGABYTE X570 Gaming X does have the NVMe capability but thats really expensive.

Reactions: stefanos50
Does the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX support NVMe? It supports M.2 but does it have NVMe speeds on it?

I know the GIGABYTE X570 Gaming X does have the NVMe capability but thats really expensive.
Of course i have an adata nvme with 3500mb/s read speed at the moment. It has one m2 slot though . The only difference with the X570 is that you can install a pci-e gen 4 nvme so from the normal 3500mb/s speed with pci-e gen 3 you will have 5000mb/s speed. If you dont use your pc as a workstation editing etc then you will notice no difference.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is there a solution to the bios not working with the 3600x, other than using an older ryzen cpu?
The shipping version (v30) should support the 3600x on the aforementioned MSI.

If the question is more generic (any random motherboard, for example), you either need a motherboard that can be updated without a CPU (these exist) or a previous generation AM4 CPU to update the BIOS. Either of these must be performed BEFORE installing the 3rd gen CPU.

Aug 17, 2019
The shipping version (v30) should support the 3600x on the aforementioned MSI.

If the question is more generic (any random motherboard, for example), you either need a motherboard that can be updated without a CPU (these exist) or a previous generation AM4 CPU to update the BIOS. Either of these must be performed BEFORE installing the 3rd gen CPU.

Thanks!