Question Motherboard's PWR_SW button had a blinking red light, now it's a steady red light ?

Aug 18, 2024
So i got a used Asus Z87-PRO (V EDITION) Motherboard from a friend who said it was useless.
I first used the power supply he gave me, i didn't connect any GPU tho just because i wanted to test the motherboard. Nothing really happened.

I took out the old RAM sticks he gave me and put only 1 stick that i had that i knew worked perfectly (DDR3). Again, nothing happend, not even a light on the motherboard. After all this, I decided to use another power supply that i had, that had the same power as the one that my friend had been using for his pc (600W).

After that i finally noticed a change in the motherboard: the PWR_SW button on the motherboard was blinking red. At first i thought it was a good sign because at least something changed in the situation, but the problem after that was actually that I don't know what to do with it, because if i click the power button on the motherboard nothing powers up, even if i connect the power cables to a PC case, nothing boots up.

However, i tried using a third power supply that i had, which is a Corsair CX600M. The PWR_SW button wasn't blinking red anymore, it's a steady red light now. At first i thought it was normal, but when i tried to boot up the pc nothing powered up like before.

Does anyone know what can i do?

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard?

Asus Z87-Pro V Edition

Verify that I found the applicable guide.

There is quite a bit that you can do.....

The starting point to read through the guide and check everything step-by-step: Ensure that all components are suported, correctly connected, and properly configured.

Front Panel connections shown on Page 2-9.

The objective is to ensure that there are no immediate errors of omission or commission.

Take your time, be methodical, pay attention to all fine print and warnings.

Visit the Asus website as necessary for changes and updates.

Aug 18, 2024
This motherboard?

Asus Z87-Pro V Edition

Verify that I found the applicable guide.

There is quite a bit that you can do.....

The starting point to read through the guide and check everything step-by-step: Ensure that all components are suported, correctly connected, and properly configured.

Front Panel connections shown on Page 2-9.

The objective is to ensure that there are no immediate errors of omission or commission.

Take your time, be methodical, pay attention to all fine print and warnings.

Visit the Asus website as necessary for changes and updates.
That's the one. But I already saw that manual some days ago, i followed all the steps but nothing changed. Rn I've tried again booting it up, but still no change. However i noticed that the motherboard started getting hotter with the power supply connected.
Nothing is moving and there's only the red PWR_SW button light. I tried downloading the latest BIOS update and put it in a USB drive with format FAT32 but it still wasn't booting up

Ralston18

Titan
The motherboard may very well be "useless" per your friend's comment.

Any specific area getting "hotter"? That in itself is concerning.

Even if you manage to get the motherboard working with time and/or expense it could simply fail again in some other manner.

Barring other ideas and suggestions being posted I recommend responsibly recycling the motherboard.

Aug 18, 2024
Actually, for my experience the last thing i wanted to check was the worst that could happen. Opening the processor, i noticed that a pin was actually missing, and other 2 were complitly flat to the ground. As far as I know, it can't be fixed. Thanks for the support tho. Love this community