Motherbord bios chip fried

gazerx

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Tried to build a new PC yesterday but when I tried to turn it on for the first time nothing happened. I disconnect/reconnect the power cable and press the PC power button again. This time my keyboard light turned on for while and the PSU exploded :( . There is black color burnt mark on the M_BIOS chip. Could I have connected anything wrongly?

Bought a new ASUS Z-45FP power supply today, replace the old one (HEC-300FN-1RX) which comes with the PC case. I disconnected everything from the motherboard except for the CPU, CPU Fan, RAM, casing power switch cable, 24 pin ATX motherboard power connector, and 4 pin CPU power connector. Managed to turn on the PC and saw no boot device detected message. Turned the PC off, connect keyboard and turned it on again. This time nothing happened. This time there are black color burnt mark on both M_BIOS and B_BIOS chips.

Any ideas what could be the problem? I'm using Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard, Intel E7400 CPU, 1 piece Kingston DDR2 RAM, 1 SATA DVD ROM and 1 SATA HDD. Sound, VGA and NIC are built in.

Thanks in advance for any reply on this.

RMA the MB, it is obviously damaged. Have someone with a little more experience who has successfully assembled a system in the past help you if this was the first time building a PC. With an explosion and melting silicon on the MB, other components could likely have been damaged too. Video card, HD, RAM, CPU, etc. Ask someone for help building the system.

dash9000

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
The only things that really come to mind are, the BIOS chip may not have been seated correctly in the socket or you just were unlucky and had a bum power supply. Also you need to check the back of the PSU...some of them have a switch on the back for a 120V or 220V input. Anyway it's highly likey that other components are bad on the MB other than your fried BIOS chips. You need to see if you can get another MB through your warranty.