Motorola Xoom: The First Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Excellent review. I also agree that the excuse of Android coming later in the game does not mean it cannot have the same growth in apps in the same alotted time frame that it was released.

I personally feel that the iPad is a better device for gaming just by going through the app store and being able to find games ranging from Monopoly to FF3 and Infinity Blade. I have a Nexus S right now and the list of attractive games is not as long.

I like having both devices however. I plan to stay the course with continuing to purchase Android Nexus phones and having Apple supply me with their iPad. I get to enjoy the best of both worlds and not narrow my enjoyment of tech like most Droid and Apple fanboys.

Excellent review.
I'm impressed with the honeycomb but I think it has 2 major drawbacks
1)UI is somehow laggy and not 100% smooth
2)Lack of apps.
If these 2 issues get fixed,then we're going to see a better competition

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
A little late, but very good quality review. Very nice to see custom benchmarks, it really shows you guys put in the effort here.

I'd probably go for a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, but that's just me.

G

Seems HD video playback was not tested. Nice to have a HDMI option, but not really useful if most HD movies cannot play smoothly as is the case with the XOOM.

Also, and probably related to the slow video, Tegra 2's CPU has no NEON extensions, limiting applications that use signal processing.

Yes, I do own a XOOM (also iPad 2 by the way)

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Seems HD video playback was not tested. Nice to have a HDMI option, but not really useful if most HD movies cannot play smoothly as is the case with the XOOM.

Also, and probably related to the slow video, Tegra 2's CPU has no NEON extensions, limiting applications that use signal processing.

Yes, I do own a XOOM (also iPad 2 by the way)

Check out page 13. We tested H.264 battery life using a ripped 1280x720 Blu-ray movie.

On page 12, we also show HD playblack when you're mirroring the display.

@Everyone else. Thanks for the comments guys. If there's anything else you guy want to see in future reviews please let us know.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

Took quite a while to get this review done. Other tablets are already available that sport Honeycomb. Not to mention they are better than both contenders described in this article. I have a Transformer and no matter what I throw at it, it does it well. A review of that would be nice (maybe in another year or so...).
Good effort, but as others have said, late to the table.

What the reviewer perceives as weaknesses, others perceive as strength. Example: the apps installation process. Not having to deal with iTunes is a bonus in itself, and having the option to make your own backups using whatever application you prefer is also a plus. The reviewer got a bit carried away by his personal bias towards iTunes/iOS environment. There are people that prefer to be led by hand while operating their tablet and there are others that prefer to pick and choose their options without limitations. It's a matter of personal preference. But this should not transpire into an objective review. Other than that, not too bad.

G

Wow - I couldn't disagree more with some of your views. Obviously you love you some Apple... I'm not an Apple hater - I have a Macbook Pro, I have an iPad, and I have a Xoom. I tell everyone the Xoom is 5X the tables the iPad is (Granted it's an iPad, not an iPad2 - but my beef with iPads are how much Apple controls what you can or can't do with it - that has not changed in the new generation of iPads). The iPad I can use as a toy, or as a cool media gadget - I actually basically gave it to my 6 year old son now bc that's all I can do with it. The Xoom I can use as so much more - it is was more useful on so many levels. Yes rendering takes a bit longer when you flip th screen, yes there are a few small quirks in it's behavior occasionally, but from an overall usefulness point of view I like it TONS betters than the iPad. Widgets - MultiTasking - OpenSource app development with an App store NOT controlled by Apple. Android IS the future for tablets. Apple needs to take note - they are just lucky at this point bc of their following, but Android will leave them in the dust. MS isn't even in the game and won't be even when Windows 8 hits. And you price comparison is off too IMO. $599 (now $499) for 32MB on the Xoom was in line (and is now better) than Apple's price point. Take it a step further and look the the Asus Eee Pad Transformer (very similar to Xoom with some things done even better) at $399. Android is taking hold, and will gain on Apple quickly, and eventually blow them away.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Took quite a while to get this review done. Other tablets are already available that sport Honeycomb. Not to mention they are better than both contenders described in this article. I have a Transformer and no matter what I throw at it, it does it well. A review of that would be nice (maybe in another year or so...).Good effort, but as others have said, late to the table.[/citation]

I'll take that shot. Understand that we just started in with tablets. So we're playing catch up, but we're not purposely reviewing tablets late.

That said, I don't think it's necessary to be snarky about it.

I'll agree that we can disagree. But I don't think that makes my concerns any less valid. And it's true that many people don't care for that hand holding experience, but again, that is why I called the iPad a Wii and the Xoom a PS3.

I'm speaking from experience as an Android AND iOS developer. The hoops that you have to jump through for the Apple App store are infuriating. But if you're a tablet user, you don't care that said developer had to wrack his brain dealing with Apple. You just want to know apps are available. No tablet platform can truly succeed without third-party application support. This is a reality that everyone has to face. It's also a reason that Apple still struggles in the notebook and desktop market with OS X. There are more programs for Windows that you can't run on Mac. Until this changes, the playing field is going to be uneven.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]WebologyWORX[/nom]Wow - I couldn't disagree more with some of your views. Obviously you love you some Apple... I'm not an Apple hater - I have a Macbook Pro, I have an iPad, and I have a Xoom. I tell everyone the Xoom is 5X the tables the iPad is (Granted it's an iPad, not an iPad2 - but my beef with iPads are how much Apple controls what you can or can't do with it - that has not changed in the new generation of iPads). The iPad I can use as a toy, or as a cool media gadget - I actually basically gave it to my 6 year old son now bc that's all I can do with it. The Xoom I can use as so much more - it is was more useful on so many levels. Yes rendering takes a bit longer when you flip th screen, yes there are a few small quirks in it's behavior occasionally, but from an overall usefulness point of view I like it TONS betters than the iPad. Widgets - MultiTasking - OpenSource app development with an App store NOT controlled by Apple. Android IS the future for tablets. Apple needs to take note - they are just lucky at this point bc of their following, but Android will leave them in the dust. MS isn't even in the game and won't be even when Windows 8 hits. And you price comparison is off too IMO. $599 (now $499) for 32MB on the Xoom was in line (and is now better) than Apple's price point. Take it a step further and look the the Asus Eee Pad Transformer (very similar to Xoom with some things done even better) at $399. Android is taking hold, and will gain on Apple quickly, and eventually blow them away.[/citation]

Everyone who criticizes Apple for some reason feels the need to say they own an Apple product, as if that somehow means something. It doesn't really matter what you own. Anyone can have a valid opinion.

I understand your view, I just disagree with it. The idea that open source dominates doesn't jive with what every computer user experiences. Look at Linux. If open source was simply the issue, Ubuntu should kill Windows and OS X within the next few years. That's simply not the case.

I'm an Android and iOS developer. In fact I have to program in both because some of the benchmarks we use are custom coded. As a reader, though, most people could care less how much effort I put into a program. They just want to look at the results. No tablet platform can truly succeed without third-party application support. This is a reality that everyone has to face. It's also a reason that Apple still struggles in the notebook and desktop market with OS X. There are more programs for Windows that you can't run on Mac. Until this changes, the playing field is going to be uneven.

And on that note, if the Xoom was all that and a bag of chips, Motorola wouldn't admit it's struggling with sales and drop the price.

For the same amount of money, I can get a Brazos-based notebook with superior performance, more applications, a real keyboard, expandability, full interoperability with my PC, and the only thing I'll give up is some battery life (but apparently not all that much); oh, and an extra camera.

I just don't see a tablet in my future.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]For the same amount of money, I can get a Brazos-based notebook with superior performance, more applications, a real keyboard, expandability, full interoperability with my PC, and the only thing I'll give up is some battery life (but apparently not all that much); oh, and an extra camera. I just don't see a tablet in my future.[/citation]
You'll also have to give up not having a keyboard and display stand.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]For the same amount of money, I can get a Brazos-based notebook with superior performance, more applications, a real keyboard, expandability, full interoperability with my PC, and the only thing I'll give up is some battery life (but apparently not all that much); oh, and an extra camera. I just don't see a tablet in my future.[/citation]

I m really happy for you and for sharing this news which has nothing to do with the article.... Keep up with the great trolling job! :)

drchemist

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Galaxy Tab 10.1 was the FIRST tablet with Honeycomb 3.1 by almost 1 month. Change your headline. Google I/O doesn't count since it was a limited test edition for developers. Consumer released version on June 8. Check it.

winterblade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hello guys. A few months ago I really thought tablets were just a gimmick and that, iOS or Android, I would never get one, then I noticed that more and more frequently I rather use my Motoroi (the mexican version of the original Droid) than my laptop (a Dell Studio XPS 13) for simple tasks like chat, light browsing, checking mail and hell even for gaming I found myself using more and more my phone, but I really get tired soon because of the small display... so it soon became a no brainer that I wanted a tablet.

I could really not say if it´s because I'm waaaaaaaaay more used to use android devices than iOS ones, but seriously, iPad being more intuitive than the Xoom my ass... I love the Android buttons in my phone and I love the software buttons in my Xoom. Of course iPad is going to be more intuitive if you are an iPhone user, is the same frikkin OS. I'm a PC user and as such I can tell you I feel at home with android from day one, iOS and OS X, even when pretty at first sight, are just not enough functional for me and I really find no value in that famous "apple experience" and since mankind is yet to design a experience-o-metter it is my humble opinion that in an OBJECTIVE review it should not be regarded over and over again, maybe in an editorial, but not in a review.

About people saying they rather get a netbook or even a notebook instead a tablet (I was one of those not long ago) The only thing I can say is that if some one manage to make a 1.5 pound netbook with the 8-9 hours of constant use I can get from my Xoom I will agree with you then, but not today, tablets do have advantages over traditional systems.

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
Good article.

I'm an android phone owner and an ipad owner, and am slowly being converted to iOS for mobile simply because of the vast amount of applications I use that aren't even similarly available on the Android OS. This is painful for me because I'm a Windows programmer and I despise Apple, assemble my own PCs, etc. I'm pretty typical there I guess. But in the end, I just want something that does what I want (music and language apps, mostly), and when it comes to tablet software, only the iPad delivers for me.

I wonder if this is similar to the way people in music and education felt in the early days of Mac vs PC, when Apple had the best experience and best apps for certain industries? These days I could never go Mac because it does a very tiny fraction of what I do on the PC. Not the case for the more limited tablet world.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]winterblade[/nom]Hello guys. A few months ago I really thought tablets were just a gimmick and that, iOS or Android, I would never get one, then I noticed that more and more frequently I rather use my Motoroi (the mexican version of the original Droid) than my laptop (a Dell Studio XPS 13) for simple tasks like chat, light browsing, checking mail and hell even for gaming I found myself using more and more my phone, but I really get tired soon because of the small display... so it soon became a no brainer that I wanted a tablet.I could really not say if it´s because I'm waaaaaaaaay more used to use android devices than iOS ones, but seriously, iPad being more intuitive than the Xoom my ass... I love the Android buttons in my phone and I love the software buttons in my Xoom. Of course iPad is going to be more intuitive if you are an iPhone user, is the same frikkin OS. I'm a PC user and as such I can tell you I feel at home with android from day one, iOS and OS X, even when pretty at first sight, are just not enough functional for me and I really find no value in that famous "apple experience" and since mankind is yet to design a experience-o-metter it is my humble opinion that in an OBJECTIVE review it should not be regarded over and over again, maybe in an editorial, but not in a review.About people saying they rather get a netbook or even a notebook instead a tablet (I was one of those not long ago) The only thing I can say is that if some one manage to make a 1.5 pound netbook with the 8-9 hours of constant use I can get from my Xoom I will agree with you then, but not today, tablets do have advantages over traditional systems.[/citation]

I honestly can't speak from iPhone experience. Other TH coworkers have iPhones, but I don't. I actually have an Android phone, one that I purchased prior to any tablet use.

Some of what I'm speaking from comes from my experience as an Android and iOS developer. Most of my comments on usability are simply issues with UI. As I stated in the review, the iPad is more analogous to the Wii, whereas Xoom feels more like a PS3. It's really a different experience.

Thanks for the kudos. As a programmer, you probably understand the problem of third-party app support in a way most people don't.

On the second sentiment, I'm really not sure how this is going to play out. There are too many variables. So much of this has to do wtih product vision. Apple didn't help itself when it booted out Jobs back in the early days. The Android CTO Steve Horowitz left for Coupons a while back, but there are many talented people at the helm at Google. We probably need another year or two before the fog on the battlefield clears.

winterblade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I honestly can't speak from iPhone experience. Other TH coworkers have iPhones, but I don't. I actually have an Android phone, one that I purchased prior to any tablet use.

If you indeed have an Android phone why then are you that amazed with the back button functionality in the Xoom when in the browser?? Just like in my phone is quite simple, as long as I have a history of visited web pages the back button (the OS one) will have the same function that the back button of the browser, when I reach the first page, and only then, the back button indeed take me to the las app I opened before the browser. It have always been like that in Android doesn't it??

Some of what I'm speaking from comes from my experience as an Android and iOS developer. Most of my comments on usability are simply issues with UI. As I stated in the review, the iPad is more analogous to the Wii, whereas Xoom feels more like a PS3. It's really a different experience.

And speaking of usability, I really think you should have mentioned that the browser in Honeycomb is so much better than the one in iOS, just as Chrome is so much better than Safari (as seen in Tom's Hardware Web Browser Grand Prix :p)

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

I don't use the browser often enough in Android to recall. Was it like that in Gingerbread? I need to double check.

As for the browser issue, you didn't see our browser benchmark (second to last page)? Adam tests exclusively in Linux and Windows. That's fundamentally different than using Safari in iOS and Chrome in Honeycomb.

It's like benchmarking Opera in Windows and talking about FireFox in Linux. Even if you compare FireFox in Windows against Linux on the same system, you're going to get different results. There are small differences in the code base per OS that affect performance. Cross-platform =! scientific lab experiment where you remove all the variables. The only thing that matters from a user perspective is native performance (which is what we tested.)

winterblade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
As for the browser issue, you didn't see our browser benchmark (second to last page)? Adam tests exclusively in Linux and Windows. That's fundamentally different than using Safari in iOS and Chrome in Honeycomb.

It's like benchmarking Opera in Windows and talking about FireFox in Linux. Even if you compare FireFox in Windows against Linux on the same system, you're going to get different results. There are small differences in the code base per OS that affect performance. Cross-platform =! scientific lab experiment where you remove all the variables. The only thing that matters from a user perspective is native performance (which is what we tested.)

You are the one comparing "experiences" across platforms, I was just saying to do it more thoroughly. Maybe it is because I haven't used enough the iPad but I really found Honeycomb browser much more comfortable. Perhaps it's just that I'm not sold to Apple paradigm, but I rather have a tablet that feels like a simplified desktops environment that one that feels like a smartphone on steroids.

I really see your point about not being able to OBJECTIVELY compare browser performance, but I also think that is easy to see that Honeycomb browser is much more akin to a PC full browser and that Safari in iOS it's more related to a smartphone one, and I think many users will value that "experience" just as other many user will value the "apple experience".

Status
Not open for further replies.