Mounting a 3.5" HDD in a 5.25" Slot

G

My case is out of 3.5" slots because of a FDD, a ZIP, and an older HDD, but the case has tons 5.25" bays. I have looked around on the web, but I can't find any adapter that would allow the mounting of a 3.5" HDD in a 5.25" bay. If you know of such a product, please reply.

Thanks

G

Any decent shop should have adapters, Ive got about 3 sets ere that I use, and I just got them from a computer shop, or you could make a set, they are only steel bent into a U shape with the appropiate holes drilled

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
True, they are simply pieces of metal bent into a U-shape. Another solution is a hard drive rack, though it is a more costly one.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Why not just get a hard drive fan. It will do the same thing and keep your hardrive cool.

pill128

Take your pill, and get some sleep.

G

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too clear on Pill128's reply about getting a harddrive fan. So does the fan mount in a 5.25" drive bay and also houses a 3.5" HDD? If not, then I really don't understand this particular reply.

Thanks for the other replies about U-shaped adaptors. It's good to hear that computer shops (instead of just web stores) have them. I'll follow up on that.

G

yeah the fans meant for a hard drive cooling package usually come with mounts.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
U U may want to try contacting IBM, some of their older systems had a 3.5" HDD in a 5.25" bay and so had a caddy to hold the hard drive, their 'shop' quite possibly stocks these caddies and may be able to supply you with one, cant remember what the no. to ring is but I think it is a 0800 (US) number...

Were cookin' now... whoops...

G

Oh there are easier ways to get mounting kits. A lot of mail-order shops on the net sale mounting kits for 3-5$ that will be standardized. You might be refering to mounting brackets used on drives for proprietary systems so they'll mount, which wouldn't help you in a standard 5.25" bay. I know I've pulled these off IBM drives in OEM proprietary systems.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

seether

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Patrick,
I'm not sure, but pill may be implying that if you by one of those HD Cooler Fans they come with mounting kits. They are like $15 at CrapUSA. I've never looked, but I would assume the have the mounting kits seperately too.

IM: NHLPenguins68