Question Mounting SATA hard drive to Ubuntu 24.04 not part of RAID array (sdb) ?

Jul 28, 2024
I just installed Ubuntu 24.04 LTS on a Dell T7500 workstation with a PERC hardware RAID5 array of 2TB. It also has an ATA SATA drive of 2TB. When the system boots up, the desktop shows the "extra" SATA on the desktop mounted seperately and not part of the sda drive. It seems to me this should be simple to unmount the seperate SATA drive, and remount it to the rest of the sda filesystem as a unified volume, maybe mounted to /home as a "data" folder.

I cannot get this second drive to mount to the primary drive after I unmount it. Is this because the first drive (hardware array) prevents other mounts?

Jul 28, 2024
sda is not a file system
sda is the first hard drive found to mount and sdb the second. in your case sdb is shown as one logical drive, because of the array.

e.g. a nvme drive usually is named: /dev/nvme0 and /dev/nvme1

in Windows it would be disk0 and disk1,...
https://cdn.ttgtmedia.com/rms/onlineimages/figure_1_disk_management.jpg
I know sda is not a file system, but a device (located in /dev). My usual steps of removing this from the /media folder, then partioning it in gparted, and adding a file system via fdisk didn't seem to follow my steps.

The ubuntu installer placed this second hard drive in /media. It was full of "timeshift" backups from a prior ubuntu install. It is my understanding that generally permamently installed disks usually are mounted in /mnt as /media is reserved for externally plugged in USB devices.

After a little research, I am going to umount this device, repartition it as GPT, and fdisk as EXT4, then remount on /mnt.

This is what I understand. I hope I can pull it off! Any additional advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!