Question Mouse and Keyboard stop working when installing Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drowning Doom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
This has me pretty stumped. I bought a SSD, installed it, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Got into Windows and everything was fantastic. Installed all the Windows updates, video card drivers, ect...

Then, rebooted the computer and lo and behold, it doesn't recognize the SSD as a valid boot device anymore. Assuming that the install was corrupted somehow, I decided to run startup repair on the Windows 7 disk. However, once the disk gets past "Windows is loading files" all the lights on my mouse and keyboard shut off and they stop working.

However, up until that point they work fine, if I go into BIOS they work no problem. I have no idea what the issue is... I literally JUST used this same disk to install Windows 7 and had no issues less than 30 minutes ago. The only advice I've been able to find thus far has been to ensure that legacy USB settings are enabled, and they are.

Also, if I boot into windows on a different drive that has the OS installed, my mouse and keyboard work just fine in Windows as well.

As it stands now, I cannot fix my Windows install or even reinstall Windows. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

crapy

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
Hi,
I had the same issue.Then i did solve it by turn off the usb 3.0 on my Mainboard sabertooth z170 and save it.After that i insert the dvd which provided and insert the same time the windows 7 installation usb stick and boot it from dvd.It will automatically switch to my usb stick and once the window 7 installation boot up , my wireless mouse n keyboard working fine on the installation process.

StreamingGames

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Im having this same issue!!! I have an MSI z170a Gaming m7. Please can someone help me.. Ive been searching around the internet for 2 days and finally found this thread. Every time I get to the language section it shuts off my mouse and keyboard. Ive tried what others have suggested but since I have a dif motherboard I dont have a lot of the options theyre talking about..

swaikkt

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

i have same issue too , I have an MSI z170a Gaming m5
i'm still looking for solution , i will mention you if i figured out and you better do so :D

StreamingGames

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
@swaikkt Ive solved it!!! What you need to do is go to the top middle and click "Advanved" Then click the Square "Settings" button" on the top left then the "Advanced" buttong (second one down) then "Windows OS Configuration" then youll see "Windows 7 Installation [Disabled]" Click that and Enable it and you should be good to go! Hope I helped! Im going to PM this to you just in case you dont come back to this thread

StreamingGames

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
I just noticed you have the m7 while I have the m7. I would assume the set up is similar BUT if my instructions dont make sense to what you are seeing now you know what to look for. MSI automatically disables Windiws 7 Installation because it is obsolete.

swaikkt

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

thanks man
i solve it too but in another way

i just used the PS/2 port , worked fine with me !!!
and its same bios menu too

i will favorite this page just in case i need it some day

heif53

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I had this issue after installing my brand new z170a motherboard and i5 6500, I found my old win7 disk went to install screen mouse and keyboard turned off couldn't hit "next" I went into the advanced option of bios and found something called "Windows 7 Installation " had to enable it. The reasoning according to bios was that there is no inbox XHCI driver in Windows 7 so the option needs to be enabled as a work around

Slucke

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015

Thanks for posting! I also have an MSI motherboard and this worked flawlessly for me.

daeliassen

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
After hours of time and failed attempts, I found a utility by Intel which adds the USB drivers to the image file allowing the mouse and keyboard to operate. If installing from a CD, you must make an ISO and use Rufus allowing a bootable USB. Run the Intel application and enjoy. Intel web address https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility. You can also search the Intel site for Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility.

Lucius_1

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Captain's Log: Star date- December 2015, just spent around $900 building my own custom PC, ordering parts online using pcpartspicker with newegg and amazon, got a 4th gen i5, 16 GB RAM, Gigabyte H97 mobo (for 4th gen intel processor), Cryorig cooling fan, Sandisk SSD, and I wanted to install Windows 7 Home Premium from a disc, and the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work at all all of a sudden even though i had minutes ago installed windows 7 Ultimate and everything was working fine and surfing the net. The answer that said to "switch EHCI to enabled in the BIOS" fixed me right up and the mouse and keyboard started working again to complete the installation, it was stuck at the choose language option. Assuming the cause is entirely because that version of Windows is just a bit older than my new mobo (maybe?) and from what i was reading on another site, they were saying having that option disabled would make the USB 3.0 ports not work at all which i know is a lie because it was set to disabled when i installed Win 7 Ultimate just fine, mouse and keyboard working throughout while plugged into the USB 3.0 ports on the top of my new $87 Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl Case (friggin awesome case, it is silent like a stealth ninja!). I don't know the full details of the problem, but "enabling EHCI" worked for me to complete installation of a slightly older OS thanks again ^^ I don't think I will be testing out Win 10 any time soon and telling you that the infinite update bug has not been fixed yet, lol i should probably go back to XP, something i can trust where the microshaft support has been cancelled (no more new updates yayyy) hahahai may re-disable that bios option since one guy said it was giving him the bsod multiple times yowtch

Evalu850

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

Evalu850

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

Evalu850

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

Evalu850

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
I built a new computer with a GA-X99-UD3 mobo w/Intel Core i7-5820K CPU , EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti graphics card, Corsair H55 cooler, and Windows 7 Professional OS, etc. I encountered several issues during this build I thought I would share. First I tried to install windows thru an external USB CD/DVD writer and it would not work. I then installed an internal CD/DVD writer and it worked like a charm as well as my mouse and keyboard thru USB initially. Once installed and going thru the restarts windows has, my gaming keyboard and mouse shut down via the USB ports. I tried them in both the USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports and they would turn on during initiation then shut off at the windows login. I unplugged those and plugged in a PS/2 Mouse and KB and it worked fine via the windows drivers. I tried all the blogs for this using BIOS changes, etc. and nothing would activate the USB ports. I then downloaded a new USB3.0 driver from Intel for Windows 7. When I rebooted they still did not work. I was at wits end until it came to me to re-install the drivers via Device Manager under Other Drives and Wahlah..... all of the USB ports were now reading active. I plugged my Gaming KB and Mouse back in, restarted and everything now works like a champ. Another thing down the road for gamers, make sure you have the proper Direct X loaded due to some games work on certain versions. Also, You can install more than 1 version of Direct X. Hope this helps someone thru the dilemma of the USB issues I have read. Good Luck!

dabro15

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
For Windows 7 installation on an ASRock Z170 Extreme6 board, use the PS/2 port. I luckily had an ancient Dell keyboard I was able to use to get through the installation.

Nicholas_16

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
I dont know. This is STUPID. I had this problem too on an MSI titanium gaming z170a boart with 6700k.

I tried all the crap above. None of that did the trick. Someone said "I just disabled "XHCI Hand-off"" This worked for me IF "Windows Installation" option under Windows OS Configuration - enabled. I had to play around with it.

Also, https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/TechFAQdetail.aspx?formid=3339

That's for MSI boards.

This is so silly. Only reason I'm installing win 7 pro is just so I can get free win 10 pro. After all this stuff I'm gonna make a USB streamlined with the latest patches etc for next time then won't have to deal with this stupid stuff.

soooooo stupppppiiiid.

no0k

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
Just installed a "critical" system update for windows 8.1 and all of a sudden my keyboard/mouse stop working. Keyboard was getting power and working from a USB 3.0 port, while mouse was working from a 2.0 before I installed updates. After I installed the update, my devices no longer get power from usb 3.0 ports and neither my mouse nor my keyboard work.

So I went ahead and tried all the USB 2.0 ports that remained. All 2.0 ports light both my mouse and keyboard up, but when I get to the windows login screen it's unresponsive to both devices even though I went into UEFI and they work just fine there too. Also, USB 3.0 support was still enabled in UEFI, so I can't really reconcile why 3.0 was working before the update and now it isn't. Tried a system restore from boot screen to a couple days ago (before update) and neither works still. THIS IS SO STRANGE! Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

Klasson

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Hello!

I must first say that I'm grateful for this thread because it got me on the right track in finding the solution to my own unique twist of the problem.

At first the problem:
When installing windows 7 on my new computer (motherboard MSI Z170A-G45) I loose all mouse and keyboard functionality when the setup is about to start and I'm asked about country and language to install.

So the solution to my problem was in the bios:
Setup->Advanced->USB-controller
disable XCHI Hand-off
Setup->Advanced->Windows OS
enable windows 7

Now I was able to use keyboard and mouse during installation. For some reason it did not work for me using only step 2.

Anyhow hope this will help someone.

Tree_Fiddy

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
I have the MSI Z170a Titanium Edition mobo and this was the solution for getting the mouse and keyboard to work in Windows 7 Professional; both during the installation AND after.

disable XCHI Hand-off

enable Legacy Support
Setup->Advanced->Windows OS
enable Windows 7

Here's two websites that may help shed some light:
https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/TechFAQdetail.aspx?formid=3339

https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/techfaqdetail.aspx?formid=3350

LyricalDragunov

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
Mobo: MSI Z170a Gaming Pro
Just finished my first build an hour ago. I was trying to install Windows 7 for my new build and mouse and keyboard are working fine on click BIOS but when when i continue to the first screen on installing windows after the gray loading screen my mouse and keyboard won't work

will try to follow solutions from this thread a bit later because im up all night and was excited for my first build, i just noticed from reading recent posts that it happens on newer boards. good thing my laptop is here to google the issue. (first TH post :D)

lsjoerds

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

drained

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

This worked for my MSI Z170A Gaming Pro when I had the same issue - thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.