Question Mouse and Keyboard stop working when installing Windows

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drowning Doom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
This has me pretty stumped. I bought a SSD, installed it, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Got into Windows and everything was fantastic. Installed all the Windows updates, video card drivers, ect...

Then, rebooted the computer and lo and behold, it doesn't recognize the SSD as a valid boot device anymore. Assuming that the install was corrupted somehow, I decided to run startup repair on the Windows 7 disk. However, once the disk gets past "Windows is loading files" all the lights on my mouse and keyboard shut off and they stop working.

However, up until that point they work fine, if I go into BIOS they work no problem. I have no idea what the issue is... I literally JUST used this same disk to install Windows 7 and had no issues less than 30 minutes ago. The only advice I've been able to find thus far has been to ensure that legacy USB settings are enabled, and they are.

Also, if I boot into windows on a different drive that has the OS installed, my mouse and keyboard work just fine in Windows as well.

As it stands now, I cannot fix my Windows install or even reinstall Windows. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

atomkeysinclair

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
My goodness gracious grief -

Well - I'm glad I found this thread. And thanks to everyone that participated.
I found a fix. But is different from everyone else's I saw.

I have the ASUS Maximus IX Code with a Samsung EVO 960 m.2 ssd.
In the bios. Advanced->USB Configuration->USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator->Enabled
What in the world is that nonsense? I tried it with both the usb 3 and 2 ports. Works on both.

Hope this helped someone.

Atomkey.

phoenix.nitman

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017

Check to see if there is a PS2 simulation option in the BIOS, and then enable it.

blakecomas

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

rtek4320

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
FOR ANYONE WHO HAS AN ASUS MOBO AND ALL ELSE HAS FAILED THIS SOLUTION WILL WORK. EITHER DOWNLOAD "ASUS EZ INSTALLER" FROM THEIR SITE OR USE THE CD THAT COMES WITH YOUR MOBO. https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1015837/

i was using crosshair Hero vi + ryzen 1800x. hope this helps since i had to chat with asus to figure this out. :bounce:

contemporaryphoto

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018

I had the same problem. I am using Asus Gryphon Z87. Go into bios. Select Advance USB Configuration. Three things. 1. Make sure Legacy USB Support is Enabled. 2. Make sure Intel xHCI is DISABLED. 3. Make sure EHCI Hand-off is Enabled. Save>Exit>Reboot
I was able to get my mouse and keyboard back. You can plug in your USB 3 devices after.
What probable cause: Mouse and keyboard were functional during the install and after.
Loading Asus MB drivers> Chipset and similar device divers probably rewrite and altered default bios settings.
Found by accident: I disabled Intel xHCI Mode by process of elimiation. Save reboot. Bingo
EHCI Hand-off remained enable as Legacy USB Support. Your done. Have fun.

Feb 24, 2018
Same problem on a win7 ultimate installation on first language screen. No keyboard/mouse even when usb 2.0.
I have an MSI H110i pro, I disabled all UEFI devices in the boot order + I enabled "windows 7 installation" which is an option in BIOS under advanced.
After this, the keyboard and mouse worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.