Mouse and Keyboard Unresponsive. Cannot Access Desktop

mcasey_54

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
After a recent storm, my keyboard and mouse became unresponsive and I could only get to the user select screen. I could go no further. I have pulled the CMOS battery to try to get into the BIOS on boot up and still cannot get in. When the screen flashes on boot up, I try to click on Delete to get into the BIOS, but, once again, cannot because my keyboard and mouse are not working. The USB ports appear O.K. If I enter a known device (jump drive), the light goes on the device. I tried a new USB keyboard, but cannot get it to be recognized since I cannot get to my home screen. Right now, after shutting the computer down by pushing the button several times, I get the Windows Startup Repair to open and it runs and then tells me that it wants to run System Restore. It has the "Run" button highlighted to run System Restore and all I have to do is click on "enter" on my keyboard to get it to run, but again, can't do that. Stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Your saying your issues occur BEFORE WINDOWS LOADS, which means forget about Windows or Repairs or anything else right now, we need to start with Powering ON and BIOS (not usually Delete key is like F12 or F11).

Now with the computer completely off (hold the power button for 10 mississippis), make sure the new keyboard is plugged in correctly on the 'jump drive' USB port since that validated 'power' was getting through. Power on the computer, and press the key to enter BIOS. Does it allow you to get in (yes you may need to try a few times, or have to go through all the F keys to figure it out). IF NO even with new keyboard then the MOTHERBOARD failed.

Replacing the mobo means probably (if it is older then 12 months) means replacing...
Your saying your issues occur BEFORE WINDOWS LOADS, which means forget about Windows or Repairs or anything else right now, we need to start with Powering ON and BIOS (not usually Delete key is like F12 or F11).

Now with the computer completely off (hold the power button for 10 mississippis), make sure the new keyboard is plugged in correctly on the 'jump drive' USB port since that validated 'power' was getting through. Power on the computer, and press the key to enter BIOS. Does it allow you to get in (yes you may need to try a few times, or have to go through all the F keys to figure it out). IF NO even with new keyboard then the MOTHERBOARD failed.

Replacing the mobo means probably (if it is older then 12 months) means replacing the memory, the cpu, etc. Might as well at that point just think on a new computer ($300 at Walmart) and see if you can remove the Hard Drive from this system, use a USB/SATA connector and try to read the drive (hopefully) on the new computer.

Solution

mcasey_54

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

mcasey_54

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

Does your MOBO have a PS2 connector for the MOBO ?? IF it does you may need to get a PS2 keyboard in order to access the BIOS (or you should have a PS2 adapter that came with the USB keyboard in order to use it in a PS2 slot) -- Some older MOBOs do not load the USB drivers until after windows starts to load unless the BIOS setting is set correctly to allow USB keyboards -- and once that setting is set to not allow them you can only access the BIOS by using a PS2 keyboard - which might be your problem.

As Tom Tancredi pointed out the problem is with your MOBO not with Windows so reinstalling\repairing the windows install is not going to help - so you need to find a way to get a keyboard working ( using a PS2 keyboard or USB to PS2 adapter ) or try a different USB port ( NOTE : some MOBOs only load the older lower speed USB connections when first booted, so if your MOBO has some older and some newer USB connectors sometimes trying a different port will help.)