Info Mouse cheat using dpi reduction button for sniping.

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
I've been having fun with this mouse trick that almost feels like cheating because it makes sniping a lot easier. My mouse is settup so that when I press the mouses "Forward" button it steadies the cursor a lot because it reduces the DPI sensitivity by about 50%. Does everyone else already do this and I'm late to the party? It is especially nice for far shots using a wobbly sniper rifle.

So, to use the mouse trick, I right click while squeezing the forward button and pressing the Shift key to hold breath. When I'm on the target I shoot with the left mouse button. It felt awkward at first but I've gotten used to it. The Forward button isn't ideal and I'm wondering if there is mouse designed for this?

definitely not a cheat.
mice have been featuring a "snipe" or alter-DPI buttons for many years.

my Logitech G600 has a 3rd-click or ring finger button that was originally designed for this purpose but any of it's buttons can be programmed to use the feature.

i don't use it often but for some games i have made this an option for one of my right thumb buttons.
just pressing in a bit where the thumb is already resting and your super accurate "snipe" mode is activated while pressed.

there are many others that offer this feature through their software or just built-in.

That's a common thing for long range shooting, and some mice are even named for it. Lately, if play a game with lots of sniping, most of the time I don't need to use my on the fly DPI sensitivity buttons on the mice, because I generally play sniper games that the devs know how to code for such things.

I actually use that feature more for slow as hell turrets and stuff in games that have zero to do with sniping. Really sad how many devs are so lazy about how they code their mouse controls, in all kinds of ways.

Lately I'm playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition, and now Mass Effect Andromeda again. In ME 3 there's a bug where in a couple of tough battles you suddenly lose LMB response for anything but shooting, so the combat HUD isn't usable again until you get through the battle.

In ME Andromeda, their last update, which was to finally fix the game for good, the mouse cursor hangs on screen much of the time. Sometimes it's utterly embarrassing to put down good money for a gaming PC knowing full well you'll still have to deal with these problems.

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
Thanks for the replies.

Slow turrets suck. Mortor aiming can be real slow too.

Using my forward button for a momentary reduction in dpi was effective but awkard so I searched for mice with a dedicated sniper button but I didn't find any that were ideal for me. Then I had the idea to program the scroll wheels scroll left and right switches to toggle to decrease or increase dpi. It works fast and easy. I'll probably keep it this way

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Slow turrets suck. Mortor aiming can be real slow too.

Using my forward button for a momentary reduction in dpi was effective but awkard so I searched for mice with a dedicated sniper button but I didn't find any that were ideal for me. Then I had the idea to program the scroll wheels scroll left and right switches to toggle to decrease or increase dpi. It works fast and easy. I'll probably keep it this way
You really only need a mouse with a good DPI range, with a couple buttons to adjust it up and down, and one to return it to default. Preferably it will also have at least a 5 position DPI profile slider where you can place your desired presets.

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
You really only need a mouse with a good DPI range, with a couple buttons to adjust it up and down, and one to return it to default. Preferably it will also have at least a 5 position DPI profile slider where you can place your desired presets.

My mouse, Logitech G900, does all that but the "Quick" dpi adjustment buttons are not located for fast toggle. I'm going to try to get used to the using the Forward switch to Shift to my lowest dpi setting. When I let go of it, it switches back to the default middle setting out of five settings.

I would buy a Razor Balistic with a sniper button but many find that sniper button to be too far forward. Also, I like my G900's quick scroll wheel adjustment.

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
I have had several mice with that button/feature but couldn’t get on with it and FPS games are the primary games I play. My current favourite sniping mouse doesn’t have that button.

Do you play games where you take long shots with a sniper rifle? What is your strategy for holding the rifle steady?

In run and gun FPS games things happen too fast and close for a sniper button. I'm old and play slower games like Far Cry 5.

Do you play games where you take long shots with a sniper rifle? What is your strategy for holding the rifle steady?

In run and gun FPS games things happen too fast and close for a sniper button. I'm old and play slower games like Far Cry 5.
Just practice, I seem to still hit long shots. I did find using a good gaming mouse mat and then the calibration feature to teach the mouse the mouse mat surface helped with the really fine movements for long shots. Another thing I notice is don’t drink too much coffee, I loose accuracy for sniping really quick if I have more than 1.

Last edited:

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
I wish I could program my the left Shift key to be Hold Breath also be DPI Shift. I can program my mouse buttons to activate a Key but it doesn't allow a Key + Mouse button combination.

My mouse, Logitech G900, does all that but the "Quick" dpi adjustment buttons are not located for fast toggle. I'm going to try to get used to the using the Forward switch to Shift to my lowest dpi setting. When I let go of it, it switches back to the default middle setting out of five settings.
Well sometimes that's what happens when you go too high up in a product model range. My Logi G402 has the up and down off to the forward left edge of the LMB, and the Default button below and forward of the thumb buttons. All are easy to reach. It's actually more of a problem that I hit the Up button accidentally sometimes when enduring a boss fight that requires lots of moving and shooting. As long as I don't let my index finger stray too far from the scroll wheel though, it doesn't happen. That said, being placed within easy reach may have a bit to do with my hand size.

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
Well sometimes that's what happens when you go too high up in a product model range. My Logi G402 has the up and down off to the forward left edge of the LMB, and the Default button below and forward of the thumb buttons. All are easy to reach. It's actually more of a problem that I hit the Up button accidentally sometimes when enduring a boss fight that requires lots of moving and shooting. As long as I don't let my index finger stray too far from the scroll wheel though, it doesn't happen. That said, being placed within easy reach may have a bit to do with my hand size.

That G402 has a much nicer button layout than my G900. Is the scroll wheel adjustable? The scroll wheel on the G900 can be switched from free spin to ratchet with a button press. I use that a lot when I switch from gaming to browsing.

That G402 has a much nicer button layout than my G900. Is the scroll wheel adjustable? The scroll wheel on the G900 can be switched from free spin to ratchet with a button press. I use that a lot when I switch from gaming to browsing.
No, the scroll wheel is not adjustable. For me it's balanced well between click and freewheel though, as it has a very light feeling click. So I don't really need it to be adjustable. Honestly, it's never a pain to scroll with on websites. That said, usually rather than scroll endlessly on websites, I do a page search with a key word of what I'm looking for. Then all you have to do is keep hitting Enter as it instantly bounces from one search result to another.

Note that the G402 is also not weight adjustable, and has a fixed wire. I like my mice light, and I've had one that had all the bells and whistles, including weights, adjustable scroll wheel, and detachable cord. It felt a bit too heavy even without the weights due to the rechargeable battery inside, and the scroll wheel click felt a bit too stiff when not freewheeling. Rechargeable mice never hold a charge as long as I'd like them to either, and you have to remember to put them in the cradle before going to bed (memory is often a problem at my age). The cords are usually too stiff to game with too.

So I've learned the hard way that I prefer simpler, wired mice. Sometimes I wish my mouse had a higher DPI range, as it tops out at 4000. This means the fastest DPI setting is at times too slow for the extra sluggish turrets, but that's not very often.

Last edited:

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
No, the scroll wheel is not adjustable. For me it's balanced well between click and freewheel though, as it has a very light feeling click. So I don't really need it to be adjustable. Honestly, it's never a pain to scroll with on websites. That said, usually rather than scroll endlessly on websites, I do a page search with a key word of what I'm looking for. Then all you have to do is keep hitting Enter as it instantly bounces from one search result to another.

Note that the G402 is also not weight adjustable, and has a fixed wire. I like my mice light, and I've had one that had all the bells and whistles, including weights, adjustable scroll wheel, and detachable cord. It felt a bit too heavy even without the weights due to the rechargeable battery inside, and the scroll wheel click felt a bit too stiff when not freewheeling. Rechargeable mice never hold a charge as long as I'd like them to either, and you have to remember to put them in the cradle before going to bed (memory is often a problem at my age). The cords are usually too stiff to game with too.

So I've learned the hard way that I prefer simpler, wired mice. Sometimes I wish my mouse had a higher DPI range, as it tops out at 4000. This means the fastest DPI setting is at times too slow for the extra sluggish turrets, but that's not very often.

Thanks for all of that information!

I didn't know it was possible to search for a word on a web page, fora example a review, so I googled it learned how to do it on Chrome. That is a good tool. However, there are still times when I would rather spin my scroll wheel to scroll down fast.

One of these days I will try a light mouse. I play slower games because I'm old and slow and don't like getting my ass kicked but maybe a light mouse would be more comfortable.

Since my previous post I've gotten used to using the forward button on my mouse as a sniper button. For now I will keep it. When its battery gets low I can plug in its UBS cable and party on.

If I were to buy a mouse today I would get a RAZER BASILISK V3 because of its automatic electric scroll wheel and sniper button but it weighs 101g even though it is wired? If there was a lightweight, wireless, cold fusion, super conductor, mouse available today I would buy it.