[SOLVED] Mouse cursor randomly freezing momentarily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

julian_lj

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Hi all!

Recently, I have been experiencing random mouse cursor freezes on Windows 10, and despite various troubleshooting attempts, I have been unable to resolve this issue.

I'm using a HyperX Pulsefire Haste wired mouse on my setup. At seemingly random intervals, the mouse cursor will suddenly freeze in place for about 1-2 seconds before it starts moving again. Mouse clicks do not register during a freeze. After a freeze, the mouse cursor will recover in one of two ways:
  • After the freeze, the mouse cursor will warp to a new position; it seems to be the end position of the mouse movements I made during the freeze, i.e. the mouse was still tracking movements during the freeze and updated the cursor position after the freeze ended.
  • After the freeze, the Windows 10 USB disconnect sound is heard, and my mouse cursor is able to move again; no position warp has taken place.
At some point, one of the freezes will be terminal - the mouse cursor freezes, the USB disconnect sound is heard, and the mouse stops responding to input entirely. No further mouse input is possible at this point until I restart my computer.

The mouse freezes seem to have no discernible pattern to them; in some sessions, I get freezes at least twice every minute, while in others, I get lucky and have no freezes for an extended period of time. They do seem to increase in frequency whenever I am playing games, but I'm not entirely certain about this. It's been an incredibly annoying issue for me since I mainly play FPS games, and having one of the freezes in the middle of an intense firefight is frustrating to no end, especially if I'm playing a competitive multiplayer FPS.

These are the troubleshooting attempts I have tried so far:
  • Updated my mouse drivers
  • Reinstalled my mouse drivers
  • Updated my graphics drivers
  • Used a different USB port
  • Unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in my USB power management settings
  • Uninstalled HyperX Ngenuity
    • I saw some older posts mentioning that HyperX's peripheral software caused performance issues for some users, so I uninstalled it to see if it would help with my issue. The freezes seemed to stop for a while after uninstalling, but by the next day they were back in full force.
  • Performed a malware scan
  • Performed SFC/DISM scans via CMD
None of these have helped to resolve the problem. I have tried using my Pulsefire Haste on my personal laptop, and it works flawlessly on that device.

There is one solution that I have at the moment: I have a separate Pulsefire Surge mouse which I plugged into my computer, and so far it hasn't had the same freezing problem.
This leads me to believe that there is some issue with my Pulsefire Haste, but this doesn't seem to be entirely true given that my Haste works flawlessly without any freezes on my laptop.

I could just use my Surge instead and call it a day, but I only really use the Surge for work, and personally I've grown very accustomed to using superlight mice for gaming. I employ a lot of fast, flicky movement when I play FPS games, and the Haste lets me do that much easier than with the heavier Surge. Preferably, I would like to try solving this problem first and, at worst, verify that there is a genuine, unsolvable issue with my Haste before I perhaps go out and get a new superlight mouse.

The following are my PC specs - not sure if they'd be useful, but I'll provide them just in case:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @ 3.20GHz
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
  • MOBO: Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • PSU: Corsair RM650x 80 PLUS Gold
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (Zotac International)
  • SSD: Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe SSD
  • Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM005-2CW102, 4TB Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004-2CV104
  • Monitor: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 144Hz 24"
  • Keyboard: HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Wired
  • Mouse: HyperX Pulsefire Haste Wired
Any help or advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I will provide any further information if needed. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

Did you recently drop the mouse (even a shortfall on to your desk or the like)?

I guess it's possible it's a software issue, but given your troubleshooting so far, it's seems it could be something else. The sensor could be broken or damaged.

How old is the mouse? Is it under warranty? The bios not being the most recent is where I'd start though. Yours is pretty old. You should be running 7B17v1C version.

Bios updates bring a whole host of bug fixes with CPU/GPU/Mobo/Ram compatibility, When your Windows updates itself it may introduce bugs if your bios isn't up to date.

Does the Hyper software allow you to update the firmware for the mouse/dongle/software? If so, make sure they are all up to date too.

Edit: Also, you...

Lutfij

Titan
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 1066MHz
MOBO: Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Got a link to the ram kit used? BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

At some point, one of the freezes will be terminal - the mouse cursor freezes, the USB disconnect sound is heard, and the mouse stops responding to input entirely. No further mouse input is possible at this point until I restart my computer.
Last time I had that issue was when a driver was causing the lock up, and it was due to a corrupt OS.

Does the same issue crop up on a donor system/platform...? I also had a mouse that was faulty out of the box and caused my system to lock up regardless of what I tried troubleshooting wise, it also behaved the same on other systems I hooked it up to. Replaced the mouse with one that was generic then realized there were no more issues.

julian_lj

Honorable
May 6, 2017
My RAM kit is the Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2C3200C16

My motherboard BIOS version as of this moment is American Megatrends Inc. 1.50, 25-Mar-19.

Sorry but could you explain what you mean by donor system/platform? Apologies but I'm not very familiar with the term. In terms of testing the mouse out on other systems, I have tried it on my personal laptop and it works flawlessly without any issues there.

I can't quite recall when this problem started to surface, but I believe it must have been some time around either January or early February this year. I have been using this Pulsefire Haste since early 2022, so it was working normally until this point.

Also, the freezes are not full system lock ups - the only things that freeze are the mouse cursor and mouse button input. Everything else - video, audio, keyboard input, etc - all continue to function normally throughout the freezes.

Hey there,

Did you recently drop the mouse (even a shortfall on to your desk or the like)?

I guess it's possible it's a software issue, but given your troubleshooting so far, it's seems it could be something else. The sensor could be broken or damaged.

How old is the mouse? Is it under warranty? The bios not being the most recent is where I'd start though. Yours is pretty old. You should be running 7B17v1C version.

Bios updates bring a whole host of bug fixes with CPU/GPU/Mobo/Ram compatibility, When your Windows updates itself it may introduce bugs if your bios isn't up to date.

Does the Hyper software allow you to update the firmware for the mouse/dongle/software? If so, make sure they are all up to date too.

Edit: Also, you should disable mouse pointer precision in mouse settings.

What happens when you try a different polling rate? Sometimes switching to a lower one maybe 500 or so could help.

Last edited:
Solution

julian_lj

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Fixed it! Turns out my outdated motherboard BIOS was the culprit. I flashed it to the latest version (7B17v1C) as you suggested and tested several games over an hour or so - and the problem seems to have completely disappeared.

The whole time I thought it was some sort of software incompatibility or issue brought up by a newly installed application due to how it seemingly appeared overnight. Honestly I'd never even kept up to date with BIOS updates until now - this was the first time I ever updated my BIOS ever since I built my system in 2019. Good to know that this is a thing to look out for in future!

Thanks so much to both of you @Roland Of Gilead @Lutfij for your help!

Aug 11, 2023
[8/19/2023] Same issue here, cursor randomly freeze for one second after wich works just fine.

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 & Drivers up-to-date.
- HyperX Pulsefire Haste wired & Logitech (test mouse) G102 (problem occurs with both, soon or later)

> Games run just fine, no usb disconnect sound, no framedrops or spikes, no audio bugs or anything.

Already tried:

Clean windows reinstall.
Graphics driver rclean reinstall - latest version & older version.
Uninstalling Ngenuity / factory resetting mice.
Disabled Realtek start-up apps.
Tried another USB port (from motherboard, case and even keyboard passtrought one)
Uninstalling Windows Quality Updates.
Uninstalling useless windows apps & features.

*The problem appeared about a month ago and I can't get rid of it.

Specs:

CPU: i5 - 11600k (NO OC)
RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz
GPU: RTX 3060 Ti (Gigabyte Eagle Oc)
MBO: ASUS Prime B560 PLUS (Updated bios)
PSU: 650W 80+ Gold Seasonic Focus GX

Status
Not open for further replies.