Mouse glitch driving me crazy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4745454b

Titan
System specs should be in my profile, but quickly I'm running an Intel 3570K at stock settings, Gigabyte Z77X-UD4H, 16GBs of I think G.skill DDR3-1600 10-10-10-30 @ 1.5v, Gigabyte 7950 WF3 with 4 screens hooked up (using 2 active mDP to DVI adapters) and an Antec 750W Green powers all this. I wasn't sure what GPU(s) I was going to buy so I went big. I'm considering buying a 400-500W Gold in the future. Disks are many. I have 7 drives running right now. 2 Samsung SSDs, a Blu Ray reader, and a number of normal hdds ranging from 250-2TB. Looking to also reduce this number by buying more larger drives.

So here is the problem. My old i5-750 on a Gigabyte P55-UD4H ran great. Even used the same RAM. Not a problem. But I didn't have any SATA 3 ports or PCIe 3.0/USB 3.0. I bought my GPU first and had issues with it. I would daily lose the monitors. Only a reboot brought it back. I figured it was some bug with the difference in PCIe between card and board. When I got the new system that problem went away, but another started. My mouse "times out". You'll hear the disconnect sound, then it will reconnect and start working again. You can hear the sound as it happens every time. I've updated USB 3.0 drivers, updated the bios, upgraded and downgraded the GPU in case it relates to that. Nothing has worked. Doesn't matter if its on a USB 2 or 3 port. Happens randomly all the time. I have tried another mouse, problem continues. Both mice are the same model so if the Logitech M100 has an issue with this board that might be it. I've tried to use a USB to PS2 adapter, but I don't have a working mouse at all. I even spent last night reinstalling windows in case it was an issue cause I did the driver trick when moving boards. Still here. If I lift the mouse off the desk/pad it will force it to happen. Otherwise it just randomly times out. Any ideas at all?

Solution
When I wanted to test usb pins on my old systems, I would just meter the board on my external hard drive because it was more easy to use the probes(no comments you :0)

About the "10 pin" connector(2 x 5), i was talking about having one of these apart to apply your own power to it.
USB2-0-Af-2-Receptacle-on-Bracket-With-10-Pin-Housing-25cm-Cable.jpg

It is easy to just pull out the power wires and connect them to a molex to ensure your mouse gets all the power it needs(assuming a 5vsb issue).

4745454b

Titan
I had to reboot last night because Steam all of a sudden couldn't find any of the .exe's except for TF2. I shut down and installed it. I wasn't sure which USB port was the powered one so I tried them both. Didn't work. Glitches were much fewer and lifting it didn't make it pause. But it's still there. Oddly enough after a min or so the mouse locked up, with the light still on. Switching over to the other port did nothing. I had to plug into a USB3 port to get my mouse back. Of another concern, rebooting didn't bring my games back... I can't remember my computer ever giving me this much grief.

4745454b

Titan
I just checked. My PC mouse timed out, didn't come back. Light was still on. Didn't matter if I moved it to another USB port, the driver box would pop up and say didn't load the driver. I shut it down and played around in the "bios" (UEFI really) for away. Apart from it being laggy, like it was running slow, it never glitched once. Does Win7 have a safe mode? (F8 still?) I can try it there and see what happens.

It came on last night as I turned the lights off. I'm wondering if power has something to do with it. I'll see if I can't plug it directly into the wall instead of my cheapo power strip. I still don't think its a power issue but it was odd to see it power up RIGHT as the lights turned off.

4745454b

Titan
Scout, keep in mind I've tried two "different" mice.

Got a good one in mind Nuke? Been awhile since I've used an optical drive boot linux. Most of what I do during the week is just online anyways so I'm not opposed to it. Just not sure which is a good one.

One thing to note. Since I've put that USB plug in there, I haven't timed out once. I'm not on that port as it won't load the drivers, but I haven't timed out yet. If I have, it doesn't happen often enough for me to remember. Going to go fire up TF2 and make sure the problem still happens.

4745454b

Titan
Scout, if your link went here, I had this turned off on the old windows build. It was on in the new one but I turned if off again.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-and-Pointing-Devices/Mouse-turns-off-and-on-randomly-with-WINDOWS-7-HELP-PLEASE/td-p/419895

Nuke, I'll take a look at that when I get the chance. Oddly enough I just played TF2 for an hour with not a single glitch or crazy. Not saying fixed, but is it possible the USB thing did something somehow? Nothing is plugged into it so unless its somehow "conditioning" the 5v standby I don't see what difference it would make...

4745454b

Titan
Correct. Pulled the power wires from one port and spliced them into a molex plug. I realized another difference was I had to pull the back of my case off to get to the power wire. I never put it back on. It's a rats nest on the back side, you have to lay the case flat to get the side on due to the number of wires. Any chance the back panel was pinching a wire? I'll take a look and see if I find any that are damaged. I still had that issue where it wouldn't work after plugging it into the specially wired one as windows couldn't load the driver, but its working just fine now on a front USB 3.

4745454b

Titan
To my knowledge though there are no pinched wires. I've been careful to make sure none are anywhere near where they could get pinched. Pressed up against the panel and case sure, but not pinched. At this point I'm afraid to move the case in "case" it makes it come back. I haven't had ANY mouse problems for 24+ hours now. My case came back on by itself yesterday, but as long as the mouse stays on I really don't care if it doesn't sleep anymore.

4745454b

Titan
I did to, but after two days its back. The small glitches are more or less gone. But now while gaming I have these "longer" glitches where the light turns off for a 3-5seconds, then finally comes back. Not sure if I want to RMA it now, or this weekend buy the last of my upgrades and see if the new PSU and fewer hdds makes a difference or not.

This is an interesting idea. As long as the bulb is not rated for over 2.5 watts it should work fine.

You are thinking outside the box for sure :)

4745454b

Titan
I do believe that I'm losing power as the light on my mouse goes out. The question is why. Mouse bad, motherboard bad, PSU can't supply the power needed, or perhaps some odd windows thing that causes windows/machine to reset the USB power. I don't think its mouse, happens on two different ones. Don't think its the PSU as 750W is way more then enough. Might be an issue with amount of 5V power available though. Bad board seems possible as its a new thing that's changed. I've already tried different drivers with no success.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
the other thing to check also is the power from the outlet and the amp out are they still constant value or fluctuate to much,how many things are plug in the same breaker that feed the computer if there is something that pull to much juice then your psu could act weird .

Status
Not open for further replies.