[SOLVED] Mouse moving and clicking on its own

Jun 21, 2021
Hi guys,

I have a new laptop - HP EliteBook 850 G7. It has the problem that the mouse cursor sometimes clicks on its own with the left button and sometimes even slightly moves by itself.

I am using the laptop with wireless mouse constantly connected - I use the mouse for work and use the touch pad for browsing when I'm off work.

At first I thought the touchpad was being extremely sensitive, so I tried lowering sensitivity, turning palm-something mode off, reinstalling drivers (I'm using the official drivers from the HP website), trying it without a driver at all. I even turned the touchpad off but the problem persists.

Next I did the same things with the wireless mouse - switched between drivers, uninstalled drivers, plugged it off, switched left and right buttons but the problem still persists. Even with switched buttons, it's still a random left click (for selecting).

Using licensed Windows 10 updated with all latest updates if that matters.

So long story short, I'm getting random left clicks while touchpad and mouse are disconnected. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Solution
Hi guys,

I have a new laptop - HP EliteBook 850 G7. It has the problem that the mouse cursor sometimes clicks on its own with the left button and sometimes even slightly moves by itself.

I am using the laptop with wireless mouse constantly connected - I use the mouse for work and use the touch pad for browsing when I'm off work.

At first I thought the touchpad was being extremely sensitive, so I tried lowering sensitivity, turning palm-something mode off, reinstalling drivers (I'm using the official drivers from the HP website), trying it without a driver at all. I even turned the touchpad off but the problem persists.

Next I did the same things with the wireless mouse - switched between drivers, uninstalled drivers, plugged it...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 21, 2021
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
Hi,
I performed a clean boot and the problem persists there too.

Jun 21, 2021
Update:
I managed to locate the problem. The HP 850 G7 has hardware buttons above the touchpad for left/right mouse click as shown below. The touchpad still has the normal buttons in the bottom left and bottom right corners as well. When I disable the touchpad, the hardware buttons above are still working. Apparently the left one is broken because it doesn't register clicks, however it causes the actual random clicks. This is called "PointStick" and the settings for it are located in Setting > Mouse > PointStick Settings. I just disabled it (it only disables the hardware buttons, the touchpad is still fine) and hope I won't face the problem again.

GSUTEJ6.png

Hi guys,

Next I did the same things with the wireless mouse - switched between drivers, uninstalled drivers, plugged it off, switched left and right buttons but the problem still persists. Even with switched buttons, it's still a random left click (for selecting).

Using licensed Windows 10 updated with all latest updates if that matters.

So long story short, I'm getting random left clicks while touchpad and mouse are disconnected. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Could be a hardware issue with the motherboard connectors or maybe the eraser head mouse in the middle. I have seen mouse drift issues before. Try removing the eraser head on the trackpoint mouse, see if that helps.

Solution