Question Mouse Not Working Plugs in for 2 seconds and then disconnects with sound

May 24, 2024
Hi All,

I hope this post would pose an interest.

My mouse suddenly stopped working one morning, It was working the previous day/night and on the next morning when I booted the PC the mouse didn't work.

There are no drivers in the device manager for the mouse. The second day of troubleshooting the mouse plugs in and works between 0.5 and 2 seconds, then disconnects with the sound and stops working again. I can see the mouse coming in USBDevview for the 2seconds it's working then dissappears again.

Things I've tried:
Looking for a new mouse driver - does not work, manual says it's a driver free mouse (Cougar Minos X2)
Uninstalling and installing all usb drivers from device manager
Fixing and completing windows stuck updates (system is up to date at this time)
Using CCleaner to fix registers and update drivers

Checked GPU driver is up to date
Tried different USB Ports - still the same result meaning the ports are not the issue.

Things to mention:

Experimented with a different mouse - works on all ports.
Tried the problematic mouse on a different PC - works without a problem!

Thank you for your time and help in advance!

Probably mouse wire has worn out.
Extensive and frequent wire bending can cause broken wires.

If you want to revive the mouse, you could replace mouse wire.
I think easier just to get a new mouse.
Cougar Minos X2 is not that expensive to be worth spending a lot of time and effort fixing it.

May 24, 2024
Probably mouse wire has worn out.
Extensive and frequent wire bending can cause broken wires.

If you want to revive the mouse, you could replace mouse wire.
I think easier just to get a new mouse.
Cougar Minos X2 is not that expensive to be worth spending a lot of time and effort fixing it.
Could be, but it works fine on the laptop, irrelevant of which way I bend the wire.

It feels like a software issue and it's bugging me mentally haha

I would try cleaning the USB ports and the mouse plug. It's possible it's a combination of both being dirty; IOW a new mouse with a cleaner plug works in the problem computer and the problem mouse works with cleaner ports in a different computer.