Question New PC build wont boot/start. RGB only, nothing happens with power button ?

Jun 16, 2024
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FDL4bL
My part list, case is just the white version, and for the cpu cooler i have the https://www.newegg.com/sama-liquid-cooling-system/p/2YM-0095-00025?Item=9SIB41TK4K7119

Motherboard is Asrock B650M PRO RS. I tried a bunch of stuff but I have gotten no where. Posted pics and a video of my system. had some stuff that was incorrectly connected like the water cooler fans, but thats fixed now and was hoping that was the issue.
-Tried taking the cpu out and back in reapply thermal paste.
-Tried with 1 memory stick, swapped to a1-b1 from a2 b2 as well
-Flashed the bios to the most recent one with a USB drive and the button on the back of the MOBO. It flashed green a bunch for about 4-5 mins then stopped, increased in speed of the blinks.
-my MOBO came with 2.02 according to the number on the MOBO
-Checked the case power sw and reset sw and pled -+
I checked previous pics of my case and there is no motherboard standoff screw in that would be touching the motherboard thats not being used.

EDIT 6/18/24 - Have everything breadboarded and pulled waiting for a PSU tester to come in tomorrow so I can rule out the psu. Havent ever had this issue that ran this deep before so in new territory myself.
6/21 - Pretty certain its the PSU, nothin happens on any PSU tester of 3 I have tried the last 2 days, and on top of that the paperclip test, which I didnt know existed, had me hearing a slight click on the PSU followed by nothing. So wish I knew to try that the day my PSU came in and would have saved a load of a headache and back and forths. Hopefully dealing with RMAing it will be smooth and no other issues are going to arise with a new psu.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your stick of ram is in Slot B2, move that to Slot A2 and then see if that helps. Relieve some pressure from the mount on the CPU's block, until the block is just resting on the processor's IHS, see if that helps. Did you check to see if there are any bent or broken pins on the CPU's socket?

Reactions: YouGotJokes

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024

Your stick of ram is in Slot B2, move that to Slot A2 and then see if that helps.
The manual suggests B2 for single stick RAM. Confused me as well.

@YouGotJokes hey just for sanity, but you DID flip the switch on the PSU from 0 to 1?
Other than that, maybe try getting it to start without the GPU installed. And if it works, replace the GPU.

Reactions: Lutfij
Jun 16, 2024

Your stick of ram is in Slot B2, move that to Slot A2 and then see if that helps. Relieve some pressure from the mount on the CPU's block, until the block is just resting on the processor's IHS, see if that helps. Did you check to see if there are any bent or broken pins on the CPU's socket?
Hey thanks for the quick response and welcome. I just tried what you said, moved ram to A2, tried it and nothing. Relieved pressure to where its just resting on the cpu and still sadly nothing. I had previously taken the cpu back out, cleaned it and the AIO plate and then reapplied a bit less paste and less pressure. The Ryzen 7800X3d doesnt have pins, its a flat surface. If I need to I can take the mount off and remove the cpu and take pictures of the undersides and the motherboard mount spot.

Jun 16, 2024
The manual suggests B2 for single stick RAM. Confused me as well.

@YouGotJokes hey just for sanity, but you DID flip the switch on the PSU from 0 to 1?
Other than that, maybe try getting it to start without the GPU installed. And if it works, replace the GPU.
I swapped it to A2 and tried again, but yea was just trying to follow the manual as close as possible, and then trying the off chance stuff after that. I just removed GPU, Still nothing, so can rule that out as being the culprit. I think ill reset CMOS maybe? The battery is right there and havent tried that, but im not sure if I have to reflash bios or anything after that so ive been putting that off and if I do it I was going to google how safely

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
See that you do not use the cpu header 1 for the cooler,use that first,

iehQHHO.png

usually should that give a warning message but maybe with this board it just won't start, little in the manual said about it.

Jun 16, 2024
See that you do not use the cpu header 1 for the cooler,use that first,

iehQHHO.png

usually should that give a warning message but maybe with this board it just won't start, little in the manual said about it.
My manual says to use CPU/FAN2_WP for a water pump. so I figured it had more power and that was for a regular cpu cooler that was air only.

Jun 16, 2024
Got it also took a video from different angles, not really seeing anything that looks out of place to me, but this is the first time using this type of socket for me.
View: https://imgur.com/goj9CcQ

Jun 16, 2024
Is there a power switch on the motherboard? Try turning it on from there and see if anything changes.
no power switch on the Mobo sadly, I think since trying the last thing with the CPU im going to take it all out tonight, and do what I should have done from the get go. Ill try it with the cpu, motherboard obviously, and the HSF and PSU. prob leave it in the case first and see, if nothing then Ill take it out and check. If it doesnt do anything ill have a narrowed down answer at least.

Jun 16, 2024
I see a white fan header at the bottom of the board which likely feeds power to the fans of the cooler, would put this on the cpu 1 header.
Got in late from overtime at work today, just got home now so didnt get to try anything. I got everything out besides the mobo, and I left the cooler rad mounted. I will most likely go to bed first because I do not wish to mess anything up due to being tired. Ill try the cpu, with the psu first and see if it does anything. Taking the advice from the bottom of the troubleshooting checklist.
"Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU." hopefully I wont have to remove the motherboard. But that will be the step I take after if nothing happens still. And if after out nothing still, I suppose Ill have to get myself a psu tester to eliminate the possibility of it being the psu. I will say tho, that I did flash the bios to the most recent from the website, on a usb, and it went through the series of flashing green light. So idk if that indicates anything else, but thats my plan and I suppose ill come back when I carry that out.

Reactions: Vic 40
Jun 16, 2024
I see a white fan header at the bottom of the board which likely feeds power to the fans of the cooler, would put this on the cpu 1 header.

Hey just go to it and tried with that layout, heres a video of trying to get just anything with just the CPU, HSF, and the PSU. I dont believe anything is incorrect, but I suppose at this point I should take out the mobo and try it on the box with just the psu hsf and cpu in the mobo. Im about to eat so Ill do that unless someone spots something im missing before I get to it in about 20 mins from this post.

View: https://imgur.com/bGzhw8a

Jun 16, 2024
Update. I pulled everything out, video below. Tried with just the cooler cpu and psu with the motherboard. Still same results. nothing. I didnt hear any beeps or get any green lights or red from anywhere. I did flash my bios correctly with the latest bios from the website before this test. The green light did show up and blink, I dont know if that indicates anything about the motherboard being good for sure or not. I ordered a PSU tester off amazon, it will come wednesday. Until then when I can rule out the PSU, is there anything else I can try or anything anyone can see that I have wrong here? The manual page for the fan plugs and pump plugs I attached as well. Have never seen the post status checker lights come on btw.

Manual page for the cooler fan plug ins

View: https://imgur.com/K8tfRFQ

Jun 16, 2024
Makes me believe that your motherboard is not good. Would rma.
The PSU failed the paperclip test and psu testers didnt even turn on being plugged in with the 24 pin cable. So I returned that, and have a new one coming in tomorrow, the Corsair RM850x SHIFT. Once that is in ill test it before hooking it up to the mobo, as long as it tests fine Ill give the initial boot a go, if nothing happens with the mobo tomorrow then that would be the next thing to stat an RMA for

Reactions: Vic 40

TRENDING THREADS