mouse over problem on taskbar

My taskbar settings are: taskbar locked, auto-hide, and always on top.

Occasionally, when mousing over items/icons active in the taskbar, the
description of that item appears hidden or partially hidden BEHIND the
taskbar.

If I go in and unlock the taskbar, then re-lock it, the descriptions then
appear normally in front of the taskbar.

Anyone know why this is happening and what's the fix?

TIA

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:d2v7e.64764$vL3.22323@bignews4.bellsouth.net,
Ferdy <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> had this to say:

> My taskbar settings are: taskbar locked, auto-hide, and always on top.
>
> Occasionally, when mousing over items/icons active in the taskbar, the
> description of that item appears hidden or partially hidden BEHIND the
> taskbar.
>
> If I go in and unlock the taskbar, then re-lock it, the descriptions
> then appear normally in front of the taskbar.
>
> Anyone know why this is happening and what's the fix?
>
> TIA

No, I don't know why it happens. However, line 321 on Kelly's site should
help you:

Galen

Well it won't.

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23PO4HkQQFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:d2v7e.64764$vL3.22323@bignews4.bellsouth.net,
> Ferdy <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> had this to say:

>> My taskbar settings are: taskbar locked, auto-hide, and always on top.
>>
>> Occasionally, when mousing over items/icons active in the taskbar, the
>> description of that item appears hidden or partially hidden BEHIND the
>> taskbar.
>>
>> If I go in and unlock the taskbar, then re-lock it, the descriptions
>> then appear normally in front of the taskbar.
>>
>> Anyone know why this is happening and what's the fix?
>>
>> TIA
>
> No, I don't know why it happens. However, line 321 on Kelly's site should
> help you:

> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23UeqOmQQFHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> had this to say:

> Well it won't.

No?

Hmm... Maybe someone should tell Kelly this?

Galen

It fixes itself as randomly as it stuffs the Z-order. She was told a long time ago.

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uOMqmsQQFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23UeqOmQQFHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> David Candy <.> had this to say:

>> Well it won't.
>
> No?
>
> Hmm... Maybe someone should tell Kelly this?
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:u0zcN2QQFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> had this to say:

> It fixes itself as randomly as it stuffs the Z-order. She was told a
> long time ago.

Now that you mention it there have been times when I'd seen the same thing
on my system. I just never worried about it a great deal and sure enough it
disappears after a while. I never had a root cause for it and it didn't
bother me much as there's nothing down there that I want to mouseover and
see as I already know what it's doing and probably going to say. I always
figured that in my case it was likely due to my using odd themes. It just
sort of comes and goes but it's gone more than it's here so I've never
worried about it. I'll spend a bit of time playing around with the system
the next time I notice it - if I notice it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Galen

It is believed to be caused by the Show Desktop command. Tooltips are always there, just hidden or not hidden. Show Desktop (Winkey + D) works like Minimise All Windows (Winkey + M - removed from Toolbar context menu in XP) but then goes and plays with the Z-Order of the desktop to hide underneath the desktop window the windows that can't be minimised (like dialogs). This is believed to be the culprit.

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23yuHb%23QQFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:u0zcN2QQFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> David Candy <.> had this to say:

>> It fixes itself as randomly as it stuffs the Z-order. She was told a
>> long time ago.
>
> Now that you mention it there have been times when I'd seen the same thing
> on my system. I just never worried about it a great deal and sure enough it
> disappears after a while. I never had a root cause for it and it didn't
> bother me much as there's nothing down there that I want to mouseover and
> see as I already know what it's doing and probably going to say. I always
> figured that in my case it was likely due to my using odd themes. It just
> sort of comes and goes but it's gone more than it's here so I've never
> worried about it. I'll spend a bit of time playing around with the system
> the next time I notice it - if I notice it.
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

The first problem is that it's a reg file so only if you want Kelly's preferences.

The user preference mask is a hexadecimal representation of bit values. To set use Windows Calculator and the values from the table below.

To use Windows Calculator take the value from UserPreferencesMask and AND it with the value from the table below.

a.. Put the value from the table below into Calculator in Hex mode
b.. Press AND
c.. Take the value from from user preferences (in this sample 000000fd as it's byte order reversed).
d.. If it is set it will return the same value as the table below, if it's not set it will return 0
Bit 0 is 2^0 = 1, Bit 2 is 2^1 = 2, Bit 3 is 2^2 = 4, Bit 4 is 2^3 = 8, Bit 5 is 2^4 = 0x10 (16),..., Bit n is 2^(n-1).

Byte order reversed is how numbers are stored as binary.

9e 3e 07 80 = DWord (in hexidecimal) 80 07 3e 9e = 0x80073e9e
90,32,07,80 = 80 07 32 90 = 0x80073290
Bit UI Setting Default Value Meaning
0 Active window tracking 0 Active window tracking disabled.
1 Menu animation 1 Menu animation enabled; menu effect depends on value of bit 9.
2 Combo box animation 1 Slide-open effect for combo boxes enabled.
3 List box smooth scrolling 1 Smooth-scrolling effect for list boxes enabled.
4 Gradient captions 1 Gradient effect for window title bars enabled.
5 Keyboard cues 0 Menu access key letters underlined only when the menu is activated from the keyboard.
6 Active window tracking Z order 0 Windows activated through active window tracking are not brought to the top.
7 Hot tracking 1 Hot tracking enabled.
8 Reserved 0 This bit reserved for future use.
9 Menu fade 1 Menu fade animation enabled. If menu fade animation is disabled, menus use slide animation. This bit is ignored if menu animation (bit 1) is disabled.
10 Selection fade 1 Selection fade enabled; the selected menu will remain on the screen briefly and then fade out after the user makes a selection.
11 Tool tip animation 1 Tool tip animation enabled; effect depends on value of bit 12.
12 Tool tip fade 1 Tool tip fade animation enabled. If tool tip fade animation is disabled, tool tips use slide animation. This bit is ignored if tool tip animation (bit 11) is disabled.
13 Cursor shadow 1 Cursor shadow is enabled. This effect only appears if the system has a color depth of more than 256 colors.
14-30 Reserved 0 These bits reserved for future use.
31 UI effects 1 All UI effects (combo box animation, cursor shadow, gradient captions, hot tracking, list box smooth scrolling, menu animation, menu underlines, selection fade, tool tip animation) are enabled.

So this reg file does the following.

0x80073290

Bit 0 (1 or 0x1) not set so XMouse Off
Bit 1 (2 or 0x2) not set so Menu Animation Off
Bit 2 (4 or 0x4) not set so Combo Box Animation Off
Bit 3 (8 or 0x8) not set so List Box Smooth Scrolling Off
Bit 4 (16 or 0x10) IS set so Gradient Captions On
Bit 5 (32 or 0x20) not set so Don't Always Show Underlined Letters in Menus
Bit 6 (64 or 0x40) not set so Don't Bring Windows To Top (for XMouse)
Bit 7 (128 or 0x80) IS set so Tooltips Hidden (on Max/Min/Restore/Close buttons) - this is not a default setting
Bit 8 (256 or 0x100) not set but does nothing anyway
Bit 9 (512 or 0x200) IS set so Menu Fade ON (if menu animation is also on)
Bit 10 (1024 or 0x400) not set so Selection Fade Off
Bit 11 (2048 or 0x800) not set so Tooltip Animation Off

[Just a pause here - 0x10 + 0x80 + 0x200 = 0x290 so we are correct so far)

Bit 12 (4096 or 0x1000) IS set so tooltips will fade, not slide, if they are enabled
Bit 13 (8192 or 0x2000) IS set so Cursor Shadow ON

[Just a pause here - 0x290 + 0x1000 + 0x2000 = 0x3290 so we are correct so far)

We also have 0x10000 (bit 16) 0x20000 (bit 17) and 0x40000 (bit 18) set. Also Bit 31 is also set (0x80000000).

0x8000 0000 All UI Effects (bit 31)#
0x0004 0000 Undocumented (bit 18)*
0x0002 0000 Undocumented (bit 17)*
0x0001 0000 Undocumented (bit 16)*
0x0000 3290 (listed above)
-------------------
0x8007 3290
===========

# Everyone has this set. Not sure of the point of it.
* They are undocumented because the Docs are for Win 2000 not XP. I'm not aware of a XP equiv for Technical References To The Windows 2000 Registry (part of Win2000 Server Resource Kit). These are presumably XP specific settings. Programmers call SystemParametersInfo and windows looks after storing the data here.

So merging this file does all of the above.

The second problem is that none of these affect the problem. I know she tested it but it randomly occurs and randomly fixes itself. I've tested it not to work. Doing anything and one may discovered it has been fixed but that doesn't make it causal.

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uOMqmsQQFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23UeqOmQQFHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> David Candy <.> had this to say:

>> Well it won't.
>
> No?
>
> Hmm... Maybe someone should tell Kelly this?
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

That took 44 minutes to type.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 03:33:20 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>That took 44 minutes to type.

Heh.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23ixVVgRQFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> had this to say:

> That took 44 minutes to type.

And only about ten minutes to read. :) I am fully appreciative though. I
have some spare time coming up and will take a greater peek at all of this,
it's flagged to make sure I don't forget. It's an interesting subject and
I've little better to do than to explore it further.

Galen

Thanks David.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP