Question Mouse randomly starts feeling delayed and Floaty

Mar 21, 2024
So I found the same thing the guy posted in 2019:https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/mouse-randomly-starts-feeling-delayed-and-floaty.3538821/
Literally the same thing happens to me that happens to him since a few days. I will add that the floaty sens starts after sitting on the pc for a few hours and it occurs ONLY in games, on the desktop it does not occur. Is there any explanation for this, why does it happen?
I will also add that two months ago I replaced some parts in the computer + did a windows reset.
The best part is that after resetting pc mouse sens returns to normal, but after a few hours it occurs again, and so on and so forth. It appears in every game.

specs:
Ryzen 7 3800X
Gigabyte B550DS3H
Kingston Fury DDR4 2x8 3200Mhz
RTX 2060 Super
1TB HDD
500GB SSD
1TB SSD M2

thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
There are three tools that may help discover what is happening when the floaty sensation occurs:

Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool window, leave it open, and position the window so you can watch what is happening on your PC.

First watch without gaming. Then open a game leaving the tool window viewable. Game as usual but watch the tool window for some change that occurs when the mouse becomes "delayed" and "floaty".

And changes again when the mouse goes back to normal.

Likely the process will take a bit of trial and error to work through.

The objective being to discover what changes when the problem occurs.

Things to look for: some background process launching to update, backup, or simply "phone home".

Task Scheduler may be being triggered and launching some app or utility.

= = = =

You can also look in Reliability History/Monitor for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that start and/or stop with the mouse behavior changes.

Reliability History/Monitor is end user friendly and the timeline format may reveal some pattern.

Mar 21, 2024
I will leave the computer open and let you know when this problem comes up.
so far nothing is happening

Edit. What about a new disk? After I bought a m2 SSD I moved all my games to this very drive and there were a lot of comments under the page of this drive about overheating. Could it be caused by this?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024
So I found the same thing the guy posted in 2019:https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/mouse-randomly-starts-feeling-delayed-and-floaty.3538821/
Literally the same thing happens to me that happens to him since a few days. I will add that the floaty sens starts after sitting on the pc for a few hours and it occurs ONLY in games, on the desktop it does not occur. Is there any explanation for this, why does it happen?
I will also add that two months ago I replaced some parts in the computer + did a windows reset.
The best part is that after resetting pc mouse sens returns to normal, but after a few hours it occurs again, and so on and so forth. It appears in every game.

specs:
Ryzen 7 3800X
Gigabyte B550DS3H
Kingston Fury DDR4 2x8 3200Mhz
RTX 2060 Super
1TB HDD
500GB SSD
1TB SSD M2

thanks in advance for any help
i ALSO HAVE THIS ISSUE coming up to a year bro. try deleting all ur DPIs except 1 and hit the DPI button and you will feel it being normal for ONLY A FEW SECONDS MEANING it is achievable but NO ONE HAS A SOLUTION SO FAR

Mar 5, 2024
I will leave the computer open and let you know when this problem comes up.
so far nothing is happening

Edit. What about a new disk? After I bought a m2 SSD I moved all my games to this very drive and there were a lot of comments under the page of this drive about overheating. Could it be caused by this?
the only pattern i see in resource monitor is when i toggle dpi (thats when the mouse movement feels normal for a few seconds) shellExperienceHost disappears from the top of my cpu list for a moment then comes back. it would disappear when i click the dpi button again thats one pattern so far.