Question Mouse sensitivity changes randomly (acceleration)

Rush_

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
For the past 5 or so days now my mouse feels as though it constantly accelerates randomly for half a second to a second or so. Almost as though the DPI is being switched from 400 up to 500 for a moment, I don't know if the two are connected, but they have come about together. In games I'm experiencing some kind of micro freezes, it's as if a frame or two gets held for a short moment. The DPI issues are happening in Windows too, but is most evident in CSGO, it's made the game virtually unusable.

My mouse is a Zowie EC2, so no software. I've also tested with a Glorious Model O- and am having the same problem.

Around a month ago I upgrade my computer, my specs are currently

MSI B550 A-Pro - upgraded Ryzen 5600x (Stock Cooler) - upgraded
16GB 3773mhz OC'd Corsair Ram, cl18 - upgraded
Founders Edition Geforce 1080
Corsair 1000w Power Supply

I've tried everything I could possibly imagine so far, this includes,
Moving to another USB port, both front and back.
Unplugging every other USB device attached to the computer
Switching the wall outlet the power cable is plugged into
Making sure all forms of acceleration are turned off within Windows
Confirming Raw input is turned on within game (tried with both on and off)
Tried on multiple mice, same problem.

Even bought a second EC2 And a good amount more, doesn't come to mind right now though. I've confirmed it's not placebo, my CM 180 is alternating between 29 and 31 CM from this. I'm not experiencing the same issues on a laptop.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Maybe a conflict from another program?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Rush_

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
Maybe a conflict from another program?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Thank you for the response. I've just done so, unfortunately no change

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it happen in safe mode? i guess you can't really play games in safe mode. So that won't work

Have you got latest bios on motherboard? latest chipset drivers? https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

I've confirmed it's not placebo, my CM 180 is alternating between 29 and 31 CM from this.
what does this mean?

16GB 3773mhz OC'd Corsair Ram, cl18 - upgraded
do you mean XMP/DOCP? Could be a timing thing, does it happen if ram run at stock?

Rush_

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
does it happen in safe mode? i guess you can't really play games in safe mode. So that won't work

Have you got latest bios on motherboard? latest chipset drivers? https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

what does this mean?

do you mean XMP/DOCP? Could be a timing thing, does it happen if ram run at stock?

I'm not sure how to properly respond to quotes

1. Yeah, I tried safe mode, being limited to 60hz makes it hard to observe in Windows, and of course there's the issue with games.
  2. Yeah, I updated to the latest chipset yesterday, no change.
  3. I tested the amount of CM it takes to turn an ingame 180, to rule out it being placebo. The length it took to turn is varying between those two measurements, as at times the mouse is increasing in speed for a short moment.
  4. They're 3600mhz chips, I used XMP, then selected the option for them to run at 3773mhz. Supposedly that's the speed you want to be at for it to scale 1:1 with infinity fabric, although I don't honestly know fully what it means.

I'll try moving back to stock now, and will report back here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i thought number 3 might have been an ingame thing, I wasn't sure. glad I asked.

i think your Infinity fabric is right. from a brief search.

did you get any windows updates in the last 5 or 6 days?
can you look in reliability history and see if anything has installed in the bottom section in the last 5-6 days that might be cause.

Rush_

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
I'm currently on a stripped out older Windows version, 20h2

I fresh installed to this version a couple days ago when these problems came up on my latest build.

Rush_

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
I've spent the past few hours continuing to troubleshoot, to add to the list I've tried:

Clearing CMOS
Running on Linux
Trying multiple different Graphics Drivers
Unplugging case fans
Uninstalling specific Microsoft Devices
Disabling High Precision Event timer