[SOLVED] move hdd to new pc

Foxis

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
hello i have 2 computers working fine, a new one and an "old" one, i wanna move my hdd and i know that i have to wipe hdd but can i wipe the harddrive on my new pc or do i have to wipe hdd before moving it?
(so the hdd does not have windows in it, only games and stuff)

Solution
If the drive does not have Windows on it, and you are only using it as storage, it does not need to be wiped, it can just be plugged into the new PC after you have installed W10 on your other drive.

If you want to install Windows on the old drive, then you wipe it during the installation stage, so do it whilst you are installing windows.

If you do want to wipe it, you can do it either before or after, doesn't overly matter.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If the drive does not have Windows on it, and you are only using it as storage, it does not need to be wiped, it can just be plugged into the new PC after you have installed W10 on your other drive.

If you want to install Windows on the old drive, then you wipe it during the installation stage, so do it whilst you are installing windows.

If you do want to wipe it, you can do it either before or after, doesn't overly matter.

Solution

Foxis

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019

thank you very much :D i am going to use it as storage, i have m.2 for windows :D

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
In which case you don't HAVE to wipe it. It will be plug and play.

Just remember to install the OS with ONLY the M2 installed, then once you've confirmed the OS install is fine and you can boot, then shutdown and install the second hard drive.

Foxis

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
In which case you don't HAVE to wipe it. It will be plug and play.

Just remember to install the OS with ONLY the M2 installed, then once you've confirmed the OS install is fine and you can boot, then shutdown and install the second hard drive.
i already had it installed windows before, but thank you for telling :D . some games got errors tho, but all savegames worked :D thank you for all your help, now i dont have to use a slow external harddrive to move my games you saved me many hours of moving games:))

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Some games require reinstallation or at least the program running the game needs to be told where the root files are. But yes all savegames should work.

Glad you've got it all sorted, and remember to select a best answer so others visiting the forum can see it should they need it. Happy gaming my friend. (y)

Reactions: Foxis