Move Over GTX 1080, There’s A New Titan X In Town

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

Get over yourself mate. Believe it or not, other people are allowed to be disappointed in a product. I had much higher expectations. Doesn't mean that what Nvidia is delivering here isn't a step up, its not what I expected, or wanted. I get to have those opinions as an adult, who gets to decide what he does, or does not buy.

I own one Fury X. 2 980Ti's and.... a 380X. Not sure how that matters here. But, I bought the fury just because it was cool, and an exciting advancement in NEW technology.

HBM is the next advancement from DDR, if you knew anything about memory, or computer technology advancements, you would know how big of a deal HBM really is. GDDR5X is not much different than DDR from 20+ years ago. It just clocks a lot higher, and has been enhanced over the original DDR. It is still the same tech though, and HBM is a major, MASSIVE advancement. Do some reading on it. Or don't, just don't go whining about others begin disappointed in being sold old news tech for another generation

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

No , I mean the GTX 1080 Ti ... Which will have 12 GB RAM and faster than the new Titan X in games (as usual) ...

and since the new Titan X will be 11.x Tflops , expect that the 1080 Ti will be FAST , VERY FAST

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
more cores, less clock speed. Probably end up about 20% faster, maybe 25%.

I dont know if i see the point tho. It stil wont be quite fast enough to get 60fps in all games at 4k with ultra details. So, it really wont be much different then a 1080 for a lot more money /shrug.

I guess if money is no object, and you want the fastest card there is, go for it. At least until something else faster comes out.

Of course that was suppose to be the whole point of the 1080, the fastest thing you can buy even tho it wasn't really good enough to hold 60 fps in 4k. And now less the 2 months later, for anyone who bought the 1080 because it was the fastest, well better hand over another 1200 because it already lost that distinction.

All these people getting disappointed at the lack of HBM/HBM2 memory just makes no sense when you consider the cost added to the card for no real benefit currently. Why would Nvidia use more expensive memory when cheaper GDDR5X is good enough right now? What would even need the faster HBM memory for? If Nvidia actually used HBM memory for the GTX 1080, the cost would likely be $75-100 or more than their current MSRP and you still have the retailer mark up because of the current demand and low supply.

So the GTX 1080 could easily reach $750 US just by adding HBM and the retailer prices. HBM/ HBM2 would make far more sense in terms of cost and supply on the next GPU iteration of Pascal in 2-3 years.

Beholder88

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Meh, the Titan series are more built for video processing and not gaming. Not that they can't be used for gaming, but 12GB is overkill for even 4K. I just got a 1070 myself, but if I really wanted something crazy for gaming I would just wait for the 1080 ti.

sera1552

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
2016 is a year for graphics card. so many people leaving their old gpus even the new gpus they both are getting obsolete in just a month or year. now amd will again launch rx 490

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

Actually , in Theory HBM2 should be cheaper to make , but since it is a new tech they charge more for it thats all.

the main advantage of HBM after memory bandwidth , is the smaller Area of the PCB .. it will make wonders in Notebooks ... delaying HBM is very bad for the Mobile sector ...

InvalidError

Titan

I'm not surprised: release the Titan before 1080 demand dies down and you can upsell Titans to big-walletted enthusiasts who get tired of waiting for 1080 availability. If enough chip production gets diverted to Titan X/1080Ti to meed demand to reduce 1080 availability, it may cause inflated retail prices to hold much longer.

InvalidError

Titan

For the most part, HBM(2) is old tech (DDR DRAM) in a new TSV stack format with a 8x128bits interface. No major R&D there, mainly a die floor plan shuffle.

HBM isn't more expensive just because companies charge more for new stuff. There are all those tooling costs prior to the first sales that need to be recovered too and in this case, not many sales to spread those costs on. Simply having the mask sets for the chips made costs millions of dollars and I would not be surprised if Samsung ate a net loss on HBM1 due to insufficient volume. Unless more chip manufacturers jump on the HBM2 bandwagon soon, HBM2 may get sidelined as well - just look at Nvidia who was planning to put HBM2 on TitanX/1080Ti but ended up going with GDDR5X due to HBM2's cost and availability. That's one more strike against HBM becoming affordable any time soon.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
The 780Ti had the full GK110 core while the first Titan (non-black) had one of 15 SMX disabled. The next gen 980Ti had two of 24 SMM disabled compared to the fully enabled titan x, but (in some cases, more than) made up for it with better clocks/OCing. The 2nd gen titan x (GP102) looks to be a GP100 without the HBM2 and, of course, nerfed DP. BMs will be interesting, but IMO, if trends from the previous two gens hold, I'd wait for the 1080Ti.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

Does that even benefit Nvidia monetarily? I don't know how the relationship with GPU partners is structured. One would presume that it's like most industries, and the manufacturers buy the chips at a negotiated rate, then resell to distributors and so on down the chain. In this scenario, Nvidia would make the same amount per chip delivered regardless of retail pricing. Now, if it's somehow royalty-based, and their cut rises with sale price of cards, manipulating retailer prices would make sense. The other scenario I could see is if GP104 supply is tight and/or yields still low, and pushing some GP102s out the door keeps the cash coming in.

An other other possibility is that AMD has an upper-midrange or even high-end offering coming sooner than people expect, and Nvidia is trying to keep the spotlight on themselves. It's not all that likely, but would fit with their strategy of positioning themselves as the premium option. On the subject of launch strategies (and diverging a bit), that could be why the RX 480 seems like it wasn't quite done; it may not have been, but AMD needed to launch it ahead of the 1060 to keep Nvidia from (once again) stealing all the thunder.

EpicWarcrafter

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
With no real performance competition I would'nt expect HBM2 anytime soon at a consumer level. This is just another example of Intel marketing, when you corner the market and there is no significant competition, there is no rush, and there is plenty opportunity to make money on tech that costs less at a manufacturing level.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I guess I got over that months ago, when the leaks started to indicate that GP102 would be GDDR5X.

The way I see it, they increased memory bandwidth more than compute, when compared to the GTX 1080. If that card is even bottlenecked at all, this should be less so.

I've been following HBM/HMC for years. The thing is, it's still DRAM. It's just connected via a shorter, wider connection that they can also clock lower, to save on power. All good things. It'll be a huge win, for mobile.

But even with GDDR5X, this thing has about the same bandwidth as Fury and 2/3rds as much as the GP100. So, as a practical matter, I just think it's not such a big deal.

It was just something about it which sounded like entitlement. I think what Nvidia has done in recent generations is quite impressive, as compared with AMD or pretty much anyone else. I'm pleasantly surprised about how soon they're launching this GPU, and while I'd like to have seen more cores (AMD's Fiji still had more) and HBM2, it's still the biggest single-generation performance jump we've seen in quite some time.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, the GP100 is the high-performance computing chip. This one is really aimed at graphics.

Now, speaking of the GP100, I expect they have far more private sector sales than to governments. You've no doubt heard of Big Data and Deep Learning, no? It's GPUs powering much of that.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
All I have to say is "Shut up, take my money!" :)

I've been running SLI 780 ti for 2.5 years and decided I want to drop SLI when I upgrade since fewer games are properly supporting it. But I wanted the single-card upgrade to be a performance improvement for SLI games (like BF4) before pulling the trigger. I think we're here now.

InvalidError

Titan

Once HMB enters volume production, it will become cheaper than GDDR5(X) on every front. The problem is getting that ball rolling. Once it does, it won't be long before you see HBM go all the way down to entry-level dGPUs and mid/high-end APUs. There have been rumors that some Zen-based APUs may have HBM as soon as next year.

EpicWarcrafter

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I totally agree, but in the meantime lets bleed it for what its worth... if there is money to be made without competition, wouldnt you do the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS