Moving dotted lines on screen when playing.

Oct 21, 2018
Hello guys,

I have a weird problem with my laptop: when I play games, sometimes (and not all the time) I get some moving dotted lines across the screen. It's no V-Sync as I've turned that off, and it appears randomly. When it does, the game starts lagging badly. Sometimes if I quit and reload the game, everything is fine. It happens with all games. Any idea of what this might be? I've also updated the drivers but nothing changed. Pc is a Samsung Series 3 with i7-3630QM and switchable AMD Radeon HD 7600M and Intel HD graphics 4000. Thanks!

Could be overheating could be a failing video card. Fist thing I would do is take the system apart, clean off the fans/heatsinks and apply new thermal paste. Try things after that. If it continues, a new Windows setup with clean drivers from Samsung support site. If that also does not help, it would point to failing hardware.

Oct 21, 2018
Hello hang-the-9, thank you for the answer. I tried cleaning my system, installing new drivers from AMD (Samsung does not support Windows 10 drivers), and I am using my laptop cooling pad too to keep temps under control. Still have the lines. However, I noticed something strange: on one game (Cities Skilines), when the lines appear, I go to the options and select V-Sync (any of the options provided): the lines disappear and I can keep on playing. When I restart the game, lines are there again, but I switch again any option on the v-sync and they disappear again. Weird, isn't it?

If you changed the operating system and drivers from what the laptop vendor had, I would expect issues. Laptop video cards are only supported by the laptop vendor, not the actual maker of the core chip.

Does seem a bit odd about the vsync making things better, that may point to a driver issue instead of a card issue.